Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awyman18 View Post
well some of wat ur saying cre is right but alot of it isnt lol but rant if u want, idc lol im only 22, bought my supra and fixed it up, replaced the hg with a friend and havnt had to touch it since. But then again, my supra is almost mint so maybe i got lucky, or maybe its because i take care of it so well lol but yes they MAY be cheaper....but thats if u can find one.

Nope, you got part of my point... I think... you're communications skills really blow half the time (but at least it's only HALF the time).

The 7M is a DECENT engine. MOST have been beat to shit. The GTE 7M can make 400hp with less work than swapping in a 1JZ and modifying it. As they are both over two decades old, you're an idiot if you EXPECT either to be reliable. Total cost for a RELIABLE 400hp the 7M wins.

NEVER plan on being the exception to the rule! If you get lucky, awesome... it probably won't happen again so live it up.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

there is alot of support for both engines out there.
your gona be fing around just trying to get a stock 1j in there so just go with the 7mgte. whats the price of the swap?? a msd tach adapter and a oil filter re-location??

can't you get a usdm 1j from a lexus parts car??
Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, we have two different threads going on about 1JZ-GTE vs 7M-GTE swaps going on right now and I missed some info pertaining to this specific thread.

1) I didn't realize this was a swap from a 7M-GE. Add a stronger fuel pump and oil cooling system.

2) Don't forget that you'll have to swap out the front subframe if your car is pre89.

3) With a $100 difference between the two I would personally go with the 1JZ. If the 7M were a few hundred less I wouldn't hesitate about going that route.

4) Parts are not as difficult to get as many seem to think. Those which aren't normally available can be sourced via certain shops such as DriftMotion or Canadian Toyota dealerships can order them (if your dealership claims they can't ).

You are setting your self up for more work with the 1JZ but not a ton given that it's a swap from a 7M-GE.

I still feel you should rebuild what ever you do go with.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

Awyman18 is on a distinguished road

yup like i said up above........u can find the 1jz parts, but there going to cost u a fortune..and ive always been lucky cre, but jeez bash all u want on my communications skills (i personally think there fine) but at least i don't come across a self righteous dick...ANYWHO..

I guess long story short, if ur worried about money, go 7m. 7m is a good motor if treated properly, as its down falls but wat motor doesnt.

If your not worried about money, go 1jz. Sturdy motor, parts are going to be more expensive and harder to find believe it or not (u cant just simply go to autozone for something so simple) and u most likely will be able to build more power with it, if that is wat ur final goal is.
Awyman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Joefishizzle is on a distinguished road

Driftnotion makes the motor mounts that drop the jz into the pre 89 subframe. So if that's a worry you have they have the solution
Joefishizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awyman18 View Post
yup like i said up above........u can find the 1jz parts, but there going to cost u a fortune..and ive always been lucky cre, but jeez bash all u want on my communications skills (i personally think there fine) but at least i don't come across a self righteous dick...ANYWHO..

They're, not there. They are fine = They're fine. I really only mentioned it that time because I couldn't understand what you were trying to communicate and I usually don't have that problem with your posts. I was hoping you might put a little more effort into communicating with the rest of us in order to avoid confusion. I'm also well aware that we have a number of people who don't speak English or it's not their native language and it can be frustrating at times.. If that's the case, I'm sorry. I got spiky I'll try to ask for clarification in the future with a more gracious demeanor.

Yep... This here self righteous, red-necked dickhead got through school too. I don't deny being a dick sometimes... Almost everyone's here for a free handout, don't do any of this for a living, have seldom done more than changed their own oil (and half of them fuck that up and crush the oil pan weep), think the alternator is a turbo (yup, it's happened) but they are all more than happy to argue about everything and almost never contribute anything more than a superiority complex thereafter. But at least I can throw them out after the novelty wears off. It's good to be the King. (Well, I suppose it's more "Roman Senator" as there are a few of us and our seldom seen but well revered Caesar who is away conquering distant lands.) I don't think think I know everything though... I am very opinionated, but I know many people far better educated than I and, quite frankly, I am envious of them from time to time. Regardless, the point stands that I spend so much time on here that it might as well be a second job, just because for some weird reason I don't want to imagine a thousand MKIIIs stuck on the side of their road while their teenage owners try pouring oil in the radiator because the think it's the "oil reservoir" (YUP, seen that too). So, if I get a bit punchy, call you on something I think is a problem or incorrect or just rub you the wrong way well... Feel free to speak up but don't be surprised when I don't send flowers.

Back to our regularly scheduled program:
You will have a hard time finding 2JZ parts at AutoZone too... Which is a shame as a large number of the parts which need periodic replacement on the 1JZ and 2JZ are interchangeable. Anything else CAN be ordered through any Toyota dealer... Whether they're willing to or know how is the question. If you're completely rebuilding any Supra engine I should hope you're not buying anything more than RTV, belts, assembly lube, exhaust and intake gaskets from AutoZone (they do carry all of those for the 1 & 2JZ, just give them the 2JZ part number). The only parts that appear really hard to come by without paying a lot are new OEM turbos, factory exhaust manifold and intake manifold and head (guess what.... the 2JZ head fits the 1JZ and then you're open to a whole new world of goodies: intakes and headers and turbos and cams Oh My! ). They are more expensive and yes, for the initial rebuild parts will have to be ordered (I had to order parts for both of the last two 7M's I rebuilt) but once that's all said and done, no, most of the parts you'll ever need are NOT that hard to come by.

Tip Jar --->