View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

boosted88mkIII - You haven't even done a swap yet... Come on... get down off the soap box.

Supra Saiyan - There are plenty of benefits and pitfalls to both scenarios. If 350 is your goal I'd stick with the 7M-GTE, source one cheap (NOT JDM) and rebuild it just up to stock specs with a MHG and perhaps forged pistons for longevity. Then proceed as usual. It's going to cost MUCH less and your W58 transmission should be bale to hold up for a few years too unless your drag racing (it's lighter and shifts better than the R154). Do NOT buy ANY used engine from any where and expect to just run it free of trouble. Yes, the 1JZ is more reliable, but the 7M's manage to make it over fifteen to twenty years in many cases before the head gasket blew even at the low torque spec... It's not a crap engine... It's a decent engine with shit DIY garage mechanics working on them. The JZs are easier to get more power out of but if you're looking for around 350 it's not worth the effort in my opinion. In both cases you should do a rebuild, then you've got to swap in electronics (the 7M-GTE's just happen to actually FIT), then you need to make some upgrades and then some tuning.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote