Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #31
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

bradenman1 is on a distinguished road
Default Random Pictures

This is the oil lines im looking for

Close look at the cams

Closer look...

Cleaned valve covers with new seals installed

sludge from the oil leaking into the exhaust manifold

Engine bay (sorta)
bradenman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #32
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Here, it takes some getting used to and a little bit of poking around to learn how it workd, but it'll save you a lot of time:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/

If you're unsure of a part post the link to the page it's on along with the five digit number on that page and I'm sure someone will help you verify parts.

When you find a part on a page you can click on the 5 digit number to get the part number.

Turbo water pipe gasket 16347-42020 http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=1603&P=2

Turbo oil inlet gasket 15471-58010 http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=1701&P=2

Turbo oil outlet gasket 15473-42010 same page as above

Your turn... here's the page with the intake piping... there is NOTHING called an 'armlet' on a Supra... no idea why, but that word is really bugging me... http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=1703&P=2
You are a fucking god!!!! i love you!!! i got every single part i need from these links : )
Old 01-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #33
Benesesso
3" Exhaust

Benesesso is on a distinguished road

How did your turbo oil line get a hole? When I had to pull the cyl. head off my '90, I gave up trying to get the bolt out and just cut the lines off--big mistake. I thought I'd be able to weld or braze threaded fittings on them for future disassembly, but that didn't pan out.

I ended up buying a used line assembly from someone on this forum.

You need to be aware that nearly all Mk 3 Supras get head gasket leaks--BHG, or blown head gasket. The problem is that Toyota didn't use enough torque on the head bolts. I bought my '90 when it only had 65,000 miles on it and the prev. owner had retorqued the bolts tighter. At ~80,000 the gasket let go between 2 cyls.

If I ever had to replace another head gasket on a turbo Supra I would pull the engine rather than do it in the car, and reinstall as much stuff as I could while the engine was bolted to a stand.

Remove all the oil around the spark plugs, then pull the plugs. Use a good flashlight and look at the top of each piston. They should be dry. If you see water you may as well fix it before you put it back together.
"You see, wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates the same way: You send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is there is no cat." A. Einstein

1988 and 1990 Turbo Supras
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #34
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
How did your turbo oil line get a hole? When I had to pull the cyl. head off my '90, I gave up trying to get the bolt out and just cut the lines off--big mistake. I thought I'd be able to weld or braze threaded fittings on them for future disassembly, but that didn't pan out.

I ended up buying a used line assembly from someone on this forum.

You need to be aware that nearly all Mk 3 Supras get head gasket leaks--BHG, or blown head gasket. The problem is that Toyota didn't use enough torque on the head bolts. I bought my '90 when it only had 65,000 miles on it and the prev. owner had retorqued the bolts tighter. At ~80,000 the gasket let go between 2 cyls.

If I ever had to replace another head gasket on a turbo Supra I would pull the engine rather than do it in the car, and reinstall as much stuff as I could while the engine was bolted to a stand.

Remove all the oil around the spark plugs, then pull the plugs. Use a good flashlight and look at the top of each piston. They should be dry. If you see water you may as well fix it before you put it back together.
well we had to use a "persuasion tool" and a 3foot screwdriver to get it off and it punctured the line. you wouldnt happen to know here i could get a used one like you did do you? its $186 from the dealership its freakin rediculous.

The headgasket must have been re torqued because all the freakin bolts were hand tight... i was rather pissed off hen i found out. its lasted 237k milesit must have seated right lol

thats hat i did i stuffed shop cloths into the plug wholes untill most of it was gone then i used a socket to get the rest out about 90% came out. i cleaned all the threads and the spark plug gallary before i stuck my new NGKs in
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #35
reydio
Intake

reydio is on a distinguished road

You can get a better turbo oil feed line from Driftmotion.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...oftlinekit.php

Still cheaper than dealer and better.
reydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #36
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by reydio View Post
You can get a better turbo oil feed line from Driftmotion.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...oftlinekit.php

Still cheaper than dealer and better.
wow that looks alot better than whats on there to. i looked all over for that little shit and i couldnt find anything other than a universal one.

thanks alot!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #37
Benesesso
3" Exhaust

That kit looks great--wish I had found it before I got my gasket job finished.

If your cyl. head bolts were really only had tight, I don't think there's any way the gasket could survive. What torque did you use when you retightened them?

Here's the problem--the gasket leaks either between cyls. or cyl. to water passage. The engine will still run, but it will use water/coolant and tend to run hot. Coolant will get into the oil, which is bad for the crank bearings after a while. The hot combustion gasses will slowly cut gouges in the head and block, eventually ruining them.

I didn't see any white water/sludge in your photos, so you might luck out.
"You see, wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates the same way: You send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is there is no cat." A. Einstein

Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #38
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
That kit looks great--wish I had found it before I got my gasket job finished.

If your cyl. head bolts were really only had tight, I don't think there's any way the gasket could survive. What torque did you use when you retightened them?

Here's the problem--the gasket leaks either between cyls. or cyl. to water passage. The engine will still run, but it will use water/coolant and tend to run hot. Coolant will get into the oil, which is bad for the crank bearings after a while. The hot combustion gasses will slowly cut gouges in the head and block, eventually ruining them.

I didn't see any white water/sludge in your photos, so you might luck out.
the header bolts were hand tight and thetop turbo stay bolt were also. and the exhaust manifold staybolts were gone so im guessing he had it serviced and they didnt tighten anything right and lost bolts or everything vibrated loose from the bad turbo and no suport from the exhaust manifold stay.

the oil was fine there was no coolant in it and the coolant was also good it was a little rusty from the water the previous owner put in it but it was oil free. im having it flushed once i get my turbo back and all the parts from toyota.

yeah yhe only sludge was from the oil that was leaking into the exhaust manifold. it was melting the gasket and mixing with the oil its in wome of the pictures i have posted. i was afraid it was the head gasket when i say it bit it was inside the exhaust manifold also so im thinking its safe to assume that the HG is ok.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #39
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

some of the IC piping kits on driftmotion look pretty good too. i jsut dont know if im going to need more piping to complete it or not, and do i use the factory aluminum elbows that are on the car with these pipes or do i remove them and make new corners with the piping.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #40
Benesesso
3" Exhaust

You already have the valve covers off, so get a GOOD torque wrench and check the head bolt torque. IIRC, stock bolts should be good for ~72 ft. lb., far better than the original 58. Take a good look at a bolt head and see if it says SPS or ARP. Those are aftermarket bolts and will take a little more.