Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > The Future of the Toyota Supra

Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #21
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

Isphius - It was nice having that car in 1988. It was one of the fastest cars available at the time. It also was very tight, well appointed with all the cool features, very ahead of it's time. I did race a few people on the street and won. Raced a few in the mountains reaching speeds over 100 mph, I was scared after each race realizing what a stupid thing that was. DON'T push the limits on the street. I know that makes me sound like your father talking but think about it. On a track there is usually not much to hit, no cliffs to fly off, no on-coming traffic, and usually no idiot drivers. On the track you can REALLY push the limits and it's the most fun you'll ever have. The car was expensive for me at the time, close to 30k which in 1988 was probably like 50k 2006 dollars. For the money at that time it was the best car you could get. The vettes and camaro's back then pretty much sucked. Cheap rattle traps. US cars were still recovering from the late '70's piece of shit stage. I would love a new Z06 today but I have 2 kids I want to help through college first. (I still don't think very much of US cars except the new Vette)

Supra2NR - I was NOT insulted by your +45 comment. I aggree, more of us should work on our own cars. Unfortunatly many of us old guys get into the work too much trap and don't take time to smell the roses or get grease on our hands. Don't pass judgement on everybody that drives an expensive car as being an arrogant basstard that doesn't appreciate the car. Sure, there are some that are, but who cares about them. There are many that are true car enthusiasts like you and me. They just have more money or spend everything they do have on the car.

I noticed when I went to the track with my Supra for the first time that the track was the great equallizer/humbler. Even guys with killer fast and expensive cars understood the rewarding experience we ALL were having, no matter what we were driving. There was no arrogance in and around the track between drivers...only respect.
As to paddle shifters...I would take them in a heartbeat. Anything to improve my lap times. Sure, nothing like grabbing gears on the stick, but new technology can be good and is certainly a fact of life. But don't worry, our cars are almost old enough for the Classic Car Racing circuit. But I think maybe those guys are too careful. Because..."If you have NO FEAR...you're not going fast enough"
Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:37 AM   #22
burton51m
Lexus & 550's

burton51m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudboy
Isphius - It was nice having that car in 1988. It was one of the fastest cars available at the time. It also was very tight, well appointed with all the cool features, very ahead of it's time. I did race a few people on the street and won. Raced a few in the mountains reaching speeds over 100 mph, I was scared after each race realizing what a stupid thing that was. DON'T push the limits on the street. I know that makes me sound like your father talking but think about it. On a track there is usually not much to hit, no cliffs to fly off, no on-coming traffic, and usually no idiot drivers. On the track you can REALLY push the limits and it's the most fun you'll ever have. The car was expensive for me at the time, close to 30k which in 1988 was probably like 50k 2006 dollars. For the money at that time it was the best car you could get. The vettes and camaro's back then pretty much sucked. Cheap rattle traps. US cars were still recovering from the late '70's piece of shit stage. I would love a new Z06 today but I have 2 kids I want to help through college first. (I still don't think very much of US cars except the new Vette)

thats cool....

i compare my 91 supra to my friends 91 firebird and notice all the technology is ahead of its time also. cd player, climate control, security alarm, mirror defogger, TEMS, power seats with lumbar control. and it looks ALOT newer....all the gauges and dash ...everything.

burton51m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #23
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton51m
thats cool....

i compare my 91 supra to my friends 91 firebird and notice all the technology is ahead of its time also. cd player, climate control, security alarm, mirror defogger, TEMS, power seats with lumbar control. and it looks ALOT newer....all the gauges and dash ...everything.
Being ahead of it's time and well constructed is why I still have mine. I had kinda lost interest in mine and once it blew a head gasket, and the quotes I was getting to fix it, I almost gave it up. Then I started looking around at new sport type cars (this was all between 2001 and 2003) and realized how much I would need to spend to get something as nice as my 1988 Supra. I fixed the head gasket, got quality fresh original paint, a few other miner things and she's good as new, and now a unique ride as I don't see many on the street anymore, let alone clean like many of ours. (nice one burton!)

THEN...after racing go-karts for the last 4 years I decided to switch my racing budget to the Supra and start doing all the work (wrenching) on it myself. Nothing real serious yet and I don't think I will go too far with mods. Suspension so far is a HUGE improvement (TEIN Flex), next will be proper race tires and wheels (an extra set just for the track) then more HP without getting into engine internals, and I'm keeping all the stock parts in case when I'm 100 years old I want to restore it for a show car and stop racing it.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #24
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

When did they start selling turbo kits and stuff for the supras? i could imagine it being a pain in the ass to find parts for it untill like the 90s haha.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #25
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isphius
When did they start selling turbo kits and stuff for the supras? i could imagine it being a pain in the ass to find parts for it untill like the 90s haha.
i cant see them selling many parts untill the late 90s. its still hard to find parts. most people are just trying to get them running right.

ya i when i talk about the mk3 to my friends i always say it(technology of the car) was way before its time. i mean they come standard power everything. whenever someone goes to get in and i unlock the doors they sit outside waiting for me to unlock their door. i mean its not a big deal but i just think its funny.

Last edited by j3pz; 09-28-2006 at 11:16 PM.
j3pz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 PM   #26
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

There is not a huge market for parts on Supra's because they don't break!
The few stock things I have needed (head gasket, EGR gasket, muffler, seat belt harness bolt..) I have had no problem ordering through a Toyota dealer, even in the last few years.

I do find mod aftermarket parts harder to come by and usually only in the high-end stuff, which maybe is OK so we don't put BS lowering kits and megaphone useless exhaust pipes like you can get for may current 'rice burners'.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #27
tone loc
20psi boost

tone loc is on a distinguished road

true man mine supra is 20 years young and the only parts i needed so far are some new fasners and im doing a manual swap. and my moms car is a 97 rav4 over 100000 and the only problem was a broken exhaust bracket($5.00 part)
tone loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:37 AM   #28
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Got my '88 Supra in November 1987. Also had a 1986ish Jeep Cheroke...it was always in the shop. Had kids and got a 1990 GMC Safari (AWD for some respect) It was in the shop 7 or 8 times in the first year...still no problem with the Supra and never in the shop. Had that van until 1998, probably in the shop AT LEAST 20 times. About 1998 at around 50k miles on the Supra need the first brakes (pads all around, new front rotors) First time in the shop. (Funny 'cause the mechanic said needed new front rotors 'cause they can not be turned again. I told him they had NEVER been turned, he tried to argue until I told him I was the original owner. He still sold me rotors...maybe I really didn't need them.)
1998 traded the van for a GMC Jimmy (my brother sells GMC so I get good deals) Had that 2 years, too small and only in the shop a few times...still a few times more than the Supra.
2000 traded the Jimmy for another new 2000 Safari AWD. Still have it but it's been in the shop about 6 or 7 times, all warranty work on trans, computers, electrical, little plastic parts break, window motor, on and on and on...

Last year the wife wanted a new car. Sorry bro, but I'm done with US cars. We live in the mountains so AWD is good for the snow and ice. The natural choice was the 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT. (She wouldn't go for the STi)
This Legacy is like an STi for grown-ups...quick little bastard. Turbo 250 HP, 0-60 in about 5.5 sec. Can't wait til she wants to give it up so it can be my Ralley car.
To date on the Supra, after 19 years and 69k miles, the brakes once and head gasket once have been the only shop visits. I expect to start going through breaks on the track so I'll be upgrading those after I wear these out.

And by the way...so far so good on the Subaru. No shop visits after 16 months and about 14k miles. American cars are usually on a first name bases with the dealership mechanic by now.

Last edited by Spudboy; 09-29-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:50 AM   #29
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Haha, Yeah, I had my n/a for one year, and it broke no times. lol. I just needed to replace the thermostat once because it got stuck like half open. It took the motor forever to warm up (like 15 minutes of driving, it was cold out) And it got warmer and warmer after it was up to temperature. But otherwise it gave me no problems other than things the previous owner messed up swapping the motor.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #30
WiseAssJester
3" Exhaust

WiseAssJester is on a distinguished road

The magazine I just read not but a week ago had the new American Skyline listed as having a V6.

As is the G35 and the 350Z.. just thought I'd get that out there since the first page had a lot of argueing on inline 6 vs V8 and so forth.
WiseAssJester is offline   Reply With Quote