View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #21
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

Isphius - It was nice having that car in 1988. It was one of the fastest cars available at the time. It also was very tight, well appointed with all the cool features, very ahead of it's time. I did race a few people on the street and won. Raced a few in the mountains reaching speeds over 100 mph, I was scared after each race realizing what a stupid thing that was. DON'T push the limits on the street. I know that makes me sound like your father talking but think about it. On a track there is usually not much to hit, no cliffs to fly off, no on-coming traffic, and usually no idiot drivers. On the track you can REALLY push the limits and it's the most fun you'll ever have. The car was expensive for me at the time, close to 30k which in 1988 was probably like 50k 2006 dollars. For the money at that time it was the best car you could get. The vettes and camaro's back then pretty much sucked. Cheap rattle traps. US cars were still recovering from the late '70's piece of shit stage. I would love a new Z06 today but I have 2 kids I want to help through college first. (I still don't think very much of US cars except the new Vette)

Supra2NR - I was NOT insulted by your +45 comment. I aggree, more of us should work on our own cars. Unfortunatly many of us old guys get into the work too much trap and don't take time to smell the roses or get grease on our hands. Don't pass judgement on everybody that drives an expensive car as being an arrogant basstard that doesn't appreciate the car. Sure, there are some that are, but who cares about them. There are many that are true car enthusiasts like you and me. They just have more money or spend everything they do have on the car.

I noticed when I went to the track with my Supra for the first time that the track was the great equallizer/humbler. Even guys with killer fast and expensive cars understood the rewarding experience we ALL were having, no matter what we were driving. There was no arrogance in and around the track between drivers...only respect.
As to paddle shifters...I would take them in a heartbeat. Anything to improve my lap times. Sure, nothing like grabbing gears on the stick, but new technology can be good and is certainly a fact of life. But don't worry, our cars are almost old enough for the Classic Car Racing circuit. But I think maybe those guys are too careful. Because..."If you have NO FEAR...you're not going fast enough"
Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote