View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 12:37 AM   #28
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

Got my '88 Supra in November 1987. Also had a 1986ish Jeep Cheroke...it was always in the shop. Had kids and got a 1990 GMC Safari (AWD for some respect) It was in the shop 7 or 8 times in the first year...still no problem with the Supra and never in the shop. Had that van until 1998, probably in the shop AT LEAST 20 times. About 1998 at around 50k miles on the Supra need the first brakes (pads all around, new front rotors) First time in the shop. (Funny 'cause the mechanic said needed new front rotors 'cause they can not be turned again. I told him they had NEVER been turned, he tried to argue until I told him I was the original owner. He still sold me rotors...maybe I really didn't need them.)
1998 traded the van for a GMC Jimmy (my brother sells GMC so I get good deals) Had that 2 years, too small and only in the shop a few times...still a few times more than the Supra.
2000 traded the Jimmy for another new 2000 Safari AWD. Still have it but it's been in the shop about 6 or 7 times, all warranty work on trans, computers, electrical, little plastic parts break, window motor, on and on and on...

Last year the wife wanted a new car. Sorry bro, but I'm done with US cars. We live in the mountains so AWD is good for the snow and ice. The natural choice was the 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT. (She wouldn't go for the STi)
This Legacy is like an STi for grown-ups...quick little bastard. Turbo 250 HP, 0-60 in about 5.5 sec. Can't wait til she wants to give it up so it can be my Ralley car.
To date on the Supra, after 19 years and 69k miles, the brakes once and head gasket once have been the only shop visits. I expect to start going through breaks on the track so I'll be upgrading those after I wear these out.

And by the way...so far so good on the Subaru. No shop visits after 16 months and about 14k miles. American cars are usually on a first name bases with the dealership mechanic by now.

Last edited by Spudboy; 09-29-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote