Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Feel-IX
Stock

Feel-IX is on a distinguished road
Default RX7 FD TT (92-01) VS Skyline R32 GT-R (89-92) VS Supra MKIV TT ?

Which one would you buy? and why? oh and any pros and cons about any of the 3 cars?

thanks

P.S : I know it's kind of a stupid question to ask on a supra forum, but still... I'm not decided yet on which one to get...

(please consider that they are all the same price...because the cost of the CAR isn't a factor that will influence me, the cost of the repairs will though lol)
Feel-IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

if you are worried about repairs, dont got the rx7; rotories are tedious engines, and the rotors' tips always go out. a gtr32 would be nice, seeing as they are the only skylines that are legal (or is that the r33?). id just go with the supra as they are legal with a combustion engine. thats just my opinion though. i mean all 3 are deff awesome cars, with endless potential.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel-IX
Which one would you buy? and why? oh and any pros and cons about any of the 3 cars?

thanks

P.S : I know it's kind of a stupid question to ask on a supra forum, but still... I'm not decided yet on which one to get...

(please consider that they are all the same price...because the cost of the CAR isn't a factor that will influence me, the cost of the repairs will though lol)
well. lets see
if ur planning to keep it stock,
the rx7 is fine, but adding more boost and trying to put more power with that motor, can have sum destructive consequenses,

skyline is fine but too small of a dispalcement, and a weak block

mk4 tt supras are realiable cars, since (it has been done)
900hp with all stock internals, jus all bolt-ons and fuel delivery upgrade

and this is a supra forum, and i drive a supra, so......

the supra will be the best choice

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #4
Monkey
3" Exhaust

Monkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3pz
if you are worried about repairs, dont got the rx7; rotories are tedious engines, and the rotors' tips always go out. a gtr32 would be nice, seeing as they are the only skylines that are legal (or is that the r33?). id just go with the supra as they are legal with a combustion engine. thats just my opinion though. i mean all 3 are deff awesome cars, with endless potential.
Why would an R32 be legal and not an R33? The R32 preceded the R33. If the R32 would be legal, then it would stand to reason that the R33 would be, too, don't you think, and no neither are legal. It will cost a substantial amount to have one imported and on top of that, Japanese safety standards are not on par with ours, so, get ready for some modificiations to make it street legal as far as safety is concerned. I was stationed in Japan for four years in the Navy, and i've seen plenty of wrecks there. Shredded beer cans is all i can say. I was involved in an accident while i was there, and was only going about 40-45 KPH. Which is about 25-30 MPH i believe. My car was totaled. Myself and the two other passengers i had with me were all right, but the car sure as hell wasn't.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Monkey
3" Exhaust

Monkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2NR
well. lets see
if ur planning to keep it stock,
the rx7 is fine, but adding more boost and trying to put more power with that motor, can have sum destructive consequenses,

skyline is fine but too small of a dispalcement, and a weak block

mk4 tt supras are realiable cars, since (it has been done)
900hp with all stock internals, jus all bolt-ons and fuel delivery upgrade

and this is a supra forum, and i drive a supra, so......

the supra will be the best choice
Bro, the Skyline has, in no way, a weak block. I've seen Japanese guys crank up to 1000 horsepower with some decent internals and good tuning. The block is no weak factor there, my friend. Anyway, who says it's too small of a displacement? 2.6L is respectable. It doesn't have to be a 3.0L to make serious power. The Skyline has been Japan's supercar for years.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
Feel-IX
Stock

Feel-IX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Why would an R32 be legal and not an R33? The R32 preceded the R33. If the R32 would be legal, then it would stand to reason that the R33 would be, too, don't you think, and no neither are legal. It will cost a substantial amount to have one imported and on top of that, Japanese safety standards are not on par with ours, so, get ready for some modificiations to make it street legal as far as safety is concerned. I was stationed in Japan for four years in the Navy, and i've seen plenty of wrecks there. Shredded beer cans is all i can say. I was involved in an accident while i was there, and was only going about 40-45 KPH. Which is about 25-30 MPH i believe. My car was totaled. Myself and the two other passengers i had with me were all right, but the car sure as hell wasn't.

ANY car is legal to be imported in Canada as long as it's 15 years old, because once it's 15 years old all the laws and restrictions are not "checked" anymore. So yes, there are about 100 skyline r32 in the province of Quebec, and more in the whole Canada. As of the R33, it will be legal for importation in 2008 (2008-1993 (the year it began to be maked) = 15 years). And no, no modifications need to be made in order for any imported car older th

an 15 years to be street legal in Canada! Canada rock
Feel-IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bro, the Skyline has, in no way, a weak block. I've seen Japanese guys crank up to 1000 horsepower with some decent internals and good tuning. The block is no weak factor there, my friend. Anyway, who says it's too small of a displacement? 2.6L is respectable. It doesn't have to be a 3.0L to make serious power. The Skyline has been Japan's supercar for years.
did you know exactly what block they use? did u see exactly when they put it in?
cuz ive seen a rb26 block crack at 800hp,
and i know,since it wa my buddy's car, how much the replacement block costs him

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #8
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why would an R32 be legal and not an R33? The R32 preceded the R33. If the R32 would be legal, then it would stand to reason that the R33 would be, too, don't you think, and no neither are legal.
Quote:
Buy Nissan Skyline GT-R:
Most Skylines in America ultimately come from Motorex in Torrance, California. Nissan never exported any Skylines to the United States, so a few had to be sacrificed to prove their crashworthiness to the Department of Transportation (DOT), and it’s Motorex that did that testing. It’s been applying what it’s learned to producing DOT-approved Skyline GT-Rs ever since and has put somewhere between 170 and 180 on America’s roads, says General Manager Quincy Yamada.

The conversion process is straightforward, explains Sean Morris, who used to work for Motorex before opening his own shop, RB Motoring specializing in Skylines. “The biggest thing was proving to the DOT that they were crashworthy,” he says. Getting the car’s emissions in line takes some work, but it’s doable. Then there are dozens of details like making sure all the labels and identification numbers on the car conform to standards that go into making a car strictly legal.
from http://sportgear.sportse.org/?p=173/
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
SideWinderGX
3" Exhaust

SideWinderGX is on a distinguished road

eesh, what blasphemy im witnessing in this thread! god, hold on, i think my heart just fell out of my chest, let me find it...

yeah, bad joke, oh well. the R33 skylines are the ONLY legal skyline GTRs that may be imported into the united states (thats '95-'97). motorex is now closed down, because they only 'sacrificed' like two GTRs, that just happened to be R33s. they then just generally applied the crash statistics to ALL GTRs, and it took a while for the govt to find out that only R33s had any crash stats to back up their importation...so motorex was closed down, its a pain to import any R33s now because you need to fill out a ton of paperwork, yadda yadda yadda.

ive also heard rumors, and forgotten half of the info about this too...about the owner of motorex being held up, having a car and money stolen from him, then going after the guy or his friend or something...and ending up in jail. i believe that happened after motorex was being investigated anyways, so either way it was the end.

you can still import R33 skylines, its just a pain in the butt. theres also some gimmicks such as taking apart the car, having it shipped separately (engine, tranny, body, whatever else) then piecing it back together and registering it as an R33. or a 300zx, or whatever you want. or you could bring them in as showcars, but cant drive them over like 150 miles in a year or something.

the RB26DETT engine is comparable to the 2JZ in terms of strength and potential. a 3" exhaust all the way back will have similiar horsepower gains on the 2JZ and the RB...it responds wonderfully to upgrades, it loves boost, and honestly i havent heard of any weak spots in the engine. for 7MGTEs, its the headgasket, 2JZs its the front main oil seal i believe? ive just heard that recently, it came as a surprise to me.....and the technology in the car is amazing. attesa-ets and super-hicas really help it to handle well.

well anyways, id pass on the rx7...its a great car but not much tuning potential compared to the others. the MKIV TT would probably be my choice...its newer, parts are more readily available, and its a strong car. The r32 is illegal in the states without some shenanigans, its hard to order parts for them, and if you go someplace to buy tires the skyline isnt in their list of cars. so id go with the supra :-P

1987 brownish Toyota Supra Turbo, automatic 7MGTE engine with ~100k miles on it.
SideWinderGX is offline   Reply With Quote