Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-30-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
legionlleh
Stock

legionlleh is on a distinguished road
Default New here had some ?'s

hi all let me first say im not new to engines owned many cars and swapped a couple motors. isuzu trooper with a vortec 350 injected dodge 1/2 ton was inline six swapped to a magnum and a b16 crx(high school didnt like the dual injected auto haha)helped my brother with a N/a 20b 2nd gen 7
now i had a couple questions about the 2jz i know itll be alot to ask but i cant find these specs anywhere. first what is the overall length of the 2jz and with stock twin turbo aproximents are fine but i would like with accesorys included.
does anyone or could anyone post a smog cert with all the smog numbers to compare to the suv im swapping it into 96 and later would be better has its what im going to be sourcing for cali smog even better.
any known issues with the 2jz i have not heard about should anything i should avoid from toyota when putting together a decent rebuild kit. i know turbos will be rebuilt
and any good cali perfered wrecking yards carrying the mk4 that i may be able to source a donor car or front clip. usdm only though i dont want to try jdm less smog etc. cali bar is pretty strict.

btw i plan on putting it in my 95 4runner btw worlds worst built motor been in the family and has had a head gasket replaced every 40 thousand miles! and horribly underpowered why u may ask would i put a 2jz in a 4runner why not lol i plan to keep it for a very long time.the interior and exterior were redone no rust new suspension new rear end with limited slip.btw ive been waiting for the chance to swap a 2jz into something
legionlleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
legionlleh
Stock

anyone know to about water injection and if its illegal smog wise? ive read and been told constantly it can lower nox and hv(dont remember exact) emmissions.perhaps running automatic smog injection and trying it out a few times at a cheaper smog tech and not getting it bar certified yet. figure ill locate a local auto 2jz trans or go with the jdm auto trans need specs to see the dif this should cut costs down significantly compared to the expensive 6 speed that and its not going to be a powerhouse. hopefully someone can get me some smog info i dont want or need any type of vin etc just the actual reading would be great.ill see who i can talk to about water injection rules for smog
Old 08-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionlleh
...what is the overall length of the 2jz and with stock twin turbo aproximents are fine but i would like with accesorys included...
It's about two and a half feet long...probably three feet when you add the water pump and oem clutch fan.
Quote:
...does anyone or could anyone post a smog cert with all the smog numbers to compare to the suv im swapping it into 96 and later would be better has its what im going to be sourcing for cali smog even better...
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/s...bo_sticker.jpg
Quote:
...any known issues with the 2jz i have not heard about...
What have you heard about? (This is a serious question)
Quote:
...anything i should avoid from toyota when putting together a decent rebuild kit...
Whoa...what on earth are you talking about? What do you mean by "a decent rebuild kit"??? ...and why do you think you would want to "rebuild" a 2jz?
Quote:
...i know turbos will be rebuilt...
Really. Where did you hear that nonsense? Everyone that's tried rebulding the oem turbos has failed...or more accurately, the rebuilt turbos have failed...after only a few thousand miles.
Quote:
...any good cali perfered wrecking yards carrying the mk4 that i may be able to source a donor car or front clip. usdm only though i dont want to try jdm less smog etc. cali bar is pretty strict...
Sorry I live in Georgia...can't help you there unfortunately.
Quote:
...anyone know to about water injection and if its illegal smog wise?...
In cali, you'll need a smog/'carb' sticker for the water injection kit you choose. Other than that, you should be fine, except for possibly defending your modifications in court when some overly-enthusiastic law enforcement officer pulls you over for it.
Quote:
...ill see who i can talk to about water injection rules for smog
Again, all you need is a carb sticker for the kit you choose.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:41 AM   #4
legionlleh
Stock

well i didnt mean it by known issues has they constantly have problems but maybe some common sense things i should replace before starting the motor again. generally ive rebuilt before a reinstall into a differant chassis. who knows how the previous owner drove it before thats why im opting for a rebuild. and that goes for the turbos too ill just check for the normal wear and tear too much shaft play turbine condition.
i plan non the less to do this to the engine rebuild new crank bearings rods piston rings has well has a new water oil pump check bore any seals belts etc

state bar says i should have no problem smogging this has long has all the smog equipment was transferred from the donor into this car all locations must be has they were in a supra has well has the airbox must not be cut at all contacted some salvage yards to see who can source me a california front clip possibly the entire car it would be nice to pull a rear end out of one hoping to keep the buy under 6 grand

Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...well i didnt mean it by known issues has they constantly have problems but maybe some common sense things...
Like for example, what kind of common sense things? Imho tearing apart a possibly perfectly good engine is not common sense.
Quote:
...i should replace before starting the motor again...
The oil (full synthetic) and coolant (Toyota Red with distilled water and Redline water wetter). Imho, that should be your plan, unless you verify that it must be rebuilt.
Quote:
...generally ive rebuilt before a reinstall into a differant chassis....
Doesn't make sense imho. Why rebuild a perfectly good engine, especially one that can handle 850rwhp+?
Quote:
...who knows how the previous owner drove it before thats why im opting for a rebuild....
Ok, by why assume the previous owner drove it badly? Maybe it was a doctor just that drove it on weekends, right?
Quote:
...and that goes for the turbos too...
Agreed...I doubt the doctor hardly ever got into boost...
Quote:
...ill just check for the normal wear and tear too much shaft play turbine condition...
Oh, so now you're going to check the turbos before you rebuild them? Good to hear. Maybe you can do the same with the engine, hmmmm? Perhaps start with compression & leakdown tests?
Quote:
...i plan non the less to do this to the engine rebuild new crank bearings rods piston rings...
You're not serious, are you? For what? Oh, and I hope you're not planning to do this with plastigauge. The 2jz-gte's tolerances require a level of precision only available at extremely high-end machine shops. Don't forget this is a 1000hp-capable, 8k+rpm-capable, 3L engine. If you don't mind me asking, have you ever worked on an engine like that? If you want this engine to come out right, I'd strongly recommend that you arrange to have it worked on like you would a Ferrari engine. Seriously. Unless you're sitting on about half a million $+ worth of machine shop tools, I'd strongly recommend you let a professional engine builder do your 2jz-gte shortblock work...that is, IF it actually needs to be rebuilt.
Quote:
...check bore...
Do you have a profilometer? Perhaps a align-boring and align-honing machines?
Quote:
...contacted some salvage yards to see who can source me a california front clip possibly the entire car it would be nice to pull a rear end out of one hoping to keep the buy under 6 grand
Doubtful you'll find a wrecked Mkiv Supra TT with the entire driveline in good shape for only $6k. Good luck, though.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-06-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
legionlleh
Stock

i guess my worrys come from the 7 i had in high school has well fc turbos arent the most reliable also owning v8's generally u do rebuild.

since i got a compression tester may has well. also turn the crank a couple times(always have just figured id let u know i do test that has well). since ive heard time and time again these motors are good to 700+ hp in stock form ill just simply pull its valve cover off and check for cracked valve springs etc has well has the pan to check for bits of metal anything that may indicate a rebuild this seems to be much simpler than my orignal idea and cheaper.

the pan and valve cover gaskets are usually a good idea to replace anyway ive always ended up having to replace them on any car owned except the seven for obvious reasons.

i also doubt the 6k entire driveline deal but ive come across deals such has this time and time again. to bad i cant make a jdm 2jz legal in cali those are much cheaper
like i said though i havent worked on a engine with this amount of tolerances hence why im worried lol no one likes installing a motor that has a issue just to pull it out again id like to drop it in and not have to pull it right after(except during its trial test fits)

also would you use the seafoam product to clean the fuel system after inital start up? ive used it with success in both gastank and to restore compression but what is your take on it?
sorry i ask alot of questions but i like to prepare myself before i undertake swaps to be fully prepared and get the project completed faster and better than if i were to take guess work into it
thanks though good thing i didnt find one this week and start ripping off the heads to take to the machine shop and the block i probably would have found a expensive surprise has well has those turbos being like 3500 from toyota last i talked to someone

Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
i guess my worrys come from the 7 i had in high school has well fc turbos arent the most reliable also owning v8's generally u do rebuild...
If you're interested in my advice, it would be that you should not jump to conclusions about the Mkiv Supra based on your experience with other vehicles. There's a reason the Mkiv Supra Turbo is in such high demand; it comes with a 1000hp-capable drivetrain. Relatively speaking the 7's driveline, as well as most v8s are complete pos's imho.
Quote:
...since i got a compression tester may has well. also turn the crank a couple times(always have just figured id let u know i do test that has well). since ive heard time and time again these motors are good to 700+ hp in stock form...
Actually, that's terribly inaccurate and a very sad understatement of it's true capabilities. 700hp is only 595rwhp through a manual tranny, and even less through an auto. The 2jz-gte is good to 850rwhp+, or 1000hp at the crank. Really.
Quote:
...ill just simply pull its valve cover off and check for cracked valve springs etc...
Fwiw, I've never seen a 2jz with cracked springs. *shrug*
Quote:
...has well has the pan to check for bits of metal anything that may indicate a rebuild...
You're far better off starting with compression & leakdown tests. If those two specs exceed oem specs, you're 99%+ likely 'good to go'.
Quote:
...this seems to be much simpler than my orignal idea and cheaper...
It's not just cheaper, it represents a course of action where you're not going to be needlessly throwing away $ for absolutely zero benefit.
Quote:
...the pan and valve cover gaskets are usually a good idea to replace anyway ive always ended up having to replace them on any car owned except the seven for obvious reasons....
1) There is no pan gasket. It's form-in-place gasket material that comes in a tube, and its an absolute b*tch to get out of the fine little grooves in the oem aluminum oilpan. In fact, that step is one of the hardest jobs in a shortblock swap.
2) If you replace the cam cover gaskets, be sure to also replace all of the rubber+metal grommets that go on every bolt & nut that hold the cam covers down.
Quote:
...i also doubt the 6k entire driveline deal but ive come across deals such has this time and time again....
Yep, and I've come across scammers time and time again too. Again, good luck.
Quote:
...like i said though i havent worked on a engine with this amount of tolerances hence why im worried lol...
If you're worried, you definitely need to send it to not just any machine shop, but a very good machine shop, along with the specs from the TSRM.
Quote:
...no one likes installing a motor that has a issue just to pull it out again id like to drop it in and not have to pull it right after(except during its trial test fits)...
You'll only get that kind of guarantee if you buy it brand-new from 'yota.
Quote:
...also would you use the seafoam product to clean the fuel system after inital start up? ive used it with success in both gastank and to restore compression but what is your take on it?...
1) If your compression is low in a 2jz-gte, it's going to be from a cracked ring land or a busted piston...ain't no sea foam gonna fix that.
2) It might help to ensure your injectors are a bit less dirty, but I'd prefer you send them out to rc engineering for a thorough cleaning & flow balancing.
Quote:
...sorry i ask alot of questions but i like to prepare myself before i undertake swaps to be fully prepared and get the project completed faster and better than if i were to take guess work into it
thanks though good thing i didnt find one this week and start ripping off the heads...
You mean head (not heads), right? It's an inline 6.
Quote:
...to take to the machine shop and the block i probably would have found a expensive surprise has well has those turbos being like 3500 from toyota last i talked to someone...
Actually they're $2200 each ($4400 in total).

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-08-2007 at 11:36 PM.