View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionlleh
...well i didnt mean it by known issues has they constantly have problems but maybe some common sense things...
Like for example, what kind of common sense things? Imho tearing apart a possibly perfectly good engine is not common sense.
Quote:
...i should replace before starting the motor again...
The oil (full synthetic) and coolant (Toyota Red with distilled water and Redline water wetter). Imho, that should be your plan, unless you verify that it must be rebuilt.
Quote:
...generally ive rebuilt before a reinstall into a differant chassis....
Doesn't make sense imho. Why rebuild a perfectly good engine, especially one that can handle 850rwhp+?
Quote:
...who knows how the previous owner drove it before thats why im opting for a rebuild....
Ok, by why assume the previous owner drove it badly? Maybe it was a doctor just that drove it on weekends, right?
Quote:
...and that goes for the turbos too...
Agreed...I doubt the doctor hardly ever got into boost...
Quote:
...ill just check for the normal wear and tear too much shaft play turbine condition...
Oh, so now you're going to check the turbos before you rebuild them? Good to hear. Maybe you can do the same with the engine, hmmmm? Perhaps start with compression & leakdown tests?
Quote:
...i plan non the less to do this to the engine rebuild new crank bearings rods piston rings...
You're not serious, are you? For what? Oh, and I hope you're not planning to do this with plastigauge. The 2jz-gte's tolerances require a level of precision only available at extremely high-end machine shops. Don't forget this is a 1000hp-capable, 8k+rpm-capable, 3L engine. If you don't mind me asking, have you ever worked on an engine like that? If you want this engine to come out right, I'd strongly recommend that you arrange to have it worked on like you would a Ferrari engine. Seriously. Unless you're sitting on about half a million $+ worth of machine shop tools, I'd strongly recommend you let a professional engine builder do your 2jz-gte shortblock work...that is, IF it actually needs to be rebuilt.
Quote:
...check bore...
Do you have a profilometer? Perhaps a align-boring and align-honing machines?
Quote:
...contacted some salvage yards to see who can source me a california front clip possibly the entire car it would be nice to pull a rear end out of one hoping to keep the buy under 6 grand
Doubtful you'll find a wrecked Mkiv Supra TT with the entire driveline in good shape for only $6k. Good luck, though.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-06-2007 at 02:25 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote