View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionlleh
i guess my worrys come from the 7 i had in high school has well fc turbos arent the most reliable also owning v8's generally u do rebuild...
If you're interested in my advice, it would be that you should not jump to conclusions about the Mkiv Supra based on your experience with other vehicles. There's a reason the Mkiv Supra Turbo is in such high demand; it comes with a 1000hp-capable drivetrain. Relatively speaking the 7's driveline, as well as most v8s are complete pos's imho.
Quote:
...since i got a compression tester may has well. also turn the crank a couple times(always have just figured id let u know i do test that has well). since ive heard time and time again these motors are good to 700+ hp in stock form...
Actually, that's terribly inaccurate and a very sad understatement of it's true capabilities. 700hp is only 595rwhp through a manual tranny, and even less through an auto. The 2jz-gte is good to 850rwhp+, or 1000hp at the crank. Really.
Quote:
...ill just simply pull its valve cover off and check for cracked valve springs etc...
Fwiw, I've never seen a 2jz with cracked springs. *shrug*
Quote:
...has well has the pan to check for bits of metal anything that may indicate a rebuild...
You're far better off starting with compression & leakdown tests. If those two specs exceed oem specs, you're 99%+ likely 'good to go'.
Quote:
...this seems to be much simpler than my orignal idea and cheaper...
It's not just cheaper, it represents a course of action where you're not going to be needlessly throwing away $ for absolutely zero benefit.
Quote:
...the pan and valve cover gaskets are usually a good idea to replace anyway ive always ended up having to replace them on any car owned except the seven for obvious reasons....
1) There is no pan gasket. It's form-in-place gasket material that comes in a tube, and its an absolute b*tch to get out of the fine little grooves in the oem aluminum oilpan. In fact, that step is one of the hardest jobs in a shortblock swap.
2) If you replace the cam cover gaskets, be sure to also replace all of the rubber+metal grommets that go on every bolt & nut that hold the cam covers down.
Quote:
...i also doubt the 6k entire driveline deal but ive come across deals such has this time and time again....
Yep, and I've come across scammers time and time again too. Again, good luck.
Quote:
...like i said though i havent worked on a engine with this amount of tolerances hence why im worried lol...
If you're worried, you definitely need to send it to not just any machine shop, but a very good machine shop, along with the specs from the TSRM.
Quote:
...no one likes installing a motor that has a issue just to pull it out again id like to drop it in and not have to pull it right after(except during its trial test fits)...
You'll only get that kind of guarantee if you buy it brand-new from 'yota.
Quote:
...also would you use the seafoam product to clean the fuel system after inital start up? ive used it with success in both gastank and to restore compression but what is your take on it?...
1) If your compression is low in a 2jz-gte, it's going to be from a cracked ring land or a busted piston...ain't no sea foam gonna fix that.
2) It might help to ensure your injectors are a bit less dirty, but I'd prefer you send them out to rc engineering for a thorough cleaning & flow balancing.
Quote:
...sorry i ask alot of questions but i like to prepare myself before i undertake swaps to be fully prepared and get the project completed faster and better than if i were to take guess work into it
thanks though good thing i didnt find one this week and start ripping off the heads...
You mean head (not heads), right? It's an inline 6.
Quote:
...to take to the machine shop and the block i probably would have found a expensive surprise has well has those turbos being like 3500 from toyota last i talked to someone...
Actually they're $2200 each ($4400 in total).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-08-2007 at 11:36 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote