Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
suprafann
3" Exhaust

suprafann is on a distinguished road
Default Rim suggestions??

93 TT anthracite..

Im looking for a 5 star wheel, donno what colour would match with anthracite so open to suggestions....black/gunmetal/white/chrome etc?

So far i think these might look good....Not sure if the spokes are "fat", if so i rather have a spoke a little less skinny, from the picture they seem perfect but ya

Racing Hart CR in graphite

Also i want my wheels to line up with my fenders so they dont look small etc...wats widths should i go with
suprafann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafann
93 TT anthracite..

Im looking for a 5 star wheel, donno what colour would match with anthracite so open to suggestions....black/gunmetal/white/chrome etc?

So far i think these might look good....Not sure if the spokes are "fat", if so i rather have a spoke a little less skinny, from the picture they seem perfect but ya

Racing Hart CR in graphite

Also i want my wheels to line up with my fenders so they dont look small etc...wats widths should i go with
  1. Please keep in mind you're driving a high horsepower RWD vehicle, especially after you take it to bpu+++ and beyond. As such, your first criteria must be to *proportionally* upgrade the *width* of the tires beyond stock. Styling, diameter, and even how they look lined up with the fenders are all secondary considerations. The oem rims are 8" wide on the front and 9.5" wide on the rear. An example of a 'bad' upgrade (one that I see over and over again) would be 10" wide on the rear and 9" wide on the front. This would increase the width of the front tires by a full inch, but the rears by only 1/2"??? ...doesn't make sense.
  2. How many times do you want to have to purchase new rims? I'd guess only once. Since the Mkiv Supra Turbo is so 'upgrade-friendly', you should probably consider it likely (or very likely) that you'll eventually be running at least 400rwhp or so, which is about 33% more power than oem. A 33% increase in your rear rim widths would put them at about 12.5", which is too wide unless you go widebody. By trimming your inner fender lips, you can get 11.5" wide rims on 315mm wide tires (using the correct offset of rim, of course).
  3. A 9.5" wide front rim is about perfect to go with an 11.5" wide rear rim. This will let you run anywhere from 245's to 275's up front, depending on your application and your handling preferences.
  4. When you choose your ideal rim sizes, go to tirerack or one of the other online tire stores and verify you can get a good brand/model of tire in the right size for those rims. Don't go too narrow/thin on the rear sidewall or you'll loose traction. A 35 series on the rear is minimum imo. On the front, too big of a sidewall will lead to sloppy handling. Although a 40 series is what I'd consider maximum (35 or even 30 series is ideal), you may have to go up to a 45 if you regularly drive in a city with lots of potholes (since lightweight rims do get bent/damaged more easily). When you've made your final decision on rim widths & diameters, please post back here and I'll help you find some tires if you like.
  5. Although I'd guess that 'graphite' or 'gunmetal' would go okay with an anthracite Supra, maybe you can find a powder-coating shop that will work with you on the color to get an exact match? Also, black spokes, polished&clear-coated spokes or chrome spokes are always a safe bet regardless... Honestly I'd stay FAR away from white (I'm not saying that'd look um 'ghey', but ...).
  6. What "picture" are you talking about?
  7. Again, the correct offsets will ensure your tires line up with your fenders. You'll need to work with the company supplying you the rims to get a 100% iron-clad money-back guarantee if the rims don't fit or make your tires rub your fenders, you send them back.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-20-2006 at 11:15 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
suprafann
3" Exhaust

good information

heres the car i was talking about, i know it has a widebody on it, but imagine it withotu the wide body....i like how it all works together

http://www.iforged.com/showroom/view...&id=suprawide2

What if i dont wanna do modifications to teh fender.....whats teh ideal width of tire for teh rears and front. 19x? 19x? on the stock supra?

the only reason i said 19x10 and 19x8.5 is because it seems most supras have that combo......i wanted 19x9 fronts.and 19x10.5 for rear...but if i can go biggger without modding, that woudl be cool?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...heres the car i was talking about, i know it has a widebody on it, but imagine it withotu the wide body....i like how it all works together...
Hmmm, I'm a bit color-blind but I'm pretty sure the car in that link isn't anthracite.
Quote:
...What if i dont wanna do modifications to teh fender...
Sorry I'm confused now. If the car is widebody already, it already has the necessary fender modifications. Are you talking about modifying the widebody back to stock width?
Quote:
...whats teh ideal width of tire for teh rears and front. 19x? 19x? on the stock supra?

the only reason i said 19x10 and 19x8.5 is because it seems most supras have that combo......i wanted 19x9 fronts.and 19x10.5 for rear...but if i can go biggger without modding, that woudl be cool?
Personally, I've never seen a high-horsepower Supra running 19" diameter rims on the rear that has good traction. I'm sure everyone has heard the long-standing joke "what's the difference between a 400rwhp Supra and a 900rwhp Supra - Nothing! They both run 12s in the 1/4!"...The reason Supras originally got that reputation is when their owners made (imho) stupid decisions like running 19" diameter rims in the rear. So to get back to your question, my firm opinion is that there is no such thing as an ideal tire width for a 19" rear rim...the biggest diameter I'd consider for the rear is an 18...and that's if and only if it's 11.5" wide (as per my recommendation in bullet #2 in my post above, for a non-widebody Mkiv Supra) AND you can find a 35 or 40 series tire to go on it.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-22-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
suprafann
3" Exhaust

Guess i confused ya hehe......I know the car is red but i was just tryin to give you an idea oof how i want my supra to sit with wheels on it....but in stock body form (no widebody).

Just using the picture as a reference because i like how the wheels lined up.

Ya i gotta decide whtehr to go 19's or 18's........i jsut think the supra would look wierd with 18's because its a big car.......but i dont wanna sacrafice performance etc
Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
suprafann
3" Exhaust

OFF TOPIC, but a question

I was reading a bit on supras etc.....And came across sumthin.

Some people are saying that taking the TRAC FUSE out will help with the auto. Making it fast etc

wat u think about that idea?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Guess i confused ya hehe......I know the car is red but i was just tryin to give you an idea oof how i want my supra to sit with wheels on it....but in stock body form (no widebody). Just using the picture as a reference because i like how the wheels lined up...
Again, how the wheels 'sit' is very much offset-dependent...and again, the exact offset of your rims is something you have to work out with your wheel manufacturer...they have to guarantee perfect fitment or you return the wheels (imo).

Quote:
...Ya i gotta decide whtehr to go 19's or 18's........i jsut think the supra would look wierd with 18's because its a big car.......but i dont wanna sacrafice performance etc
Actually when the Mkiv Supra came out in '93, it's 17" diamter rims were generally regarded as huge. If you dig up some of the original Mkiv Supra marketing materials, you'll see how the Mkiv Supra was designed to look from the factory. Although the recent automobile 'fashion trend' has everyone putting Dub-deuce SpiNNaZ on their El Dorados ... I would sincerely hope that 'fashion trend' wouldn't corrupt Mkiv Supra owners to think an 18" rim would look small/weird on their car.

Also note that most serious Mkiv Supras that are drag raced run 15" diameter rims on the rear! Although (fwiw) I wouldn't suggest 15's for a Supra that is roadraced, imo 18's in the rear and 19s in the front is the absolute max diameters I'd consider.
Quote:
...Some people are saying that taking the TRAC FUSE out will help with the auto. Making it fast etc

wat u think about that idea?
Although I run a 6spd, other auto Mkiv Supra owners I've spoken with tell me that pulling the trac fuse does make the oem auto tranny shift a bit more crisply, but they say it's a also a bit harder on the tranny too. In other words, you may gain a bit in the short term, but it may make your transmission break or wear out sooner than it would have if you'd have left the trac fuse in place.

I'd invite any auto-Mkiv Supra owners to post their experience with how the 'Trac Mod' affects shifting & longevity.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-23-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Durandal
Intake

Durandal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Please keep in mind you're driving a high horsepower RWD vehicle, especially after you take it to bpu+++ and beyond. As such, your first criteria must be to *proportionally* upgrade the *width* of the tires beyond stock. Styling, diameter, and even how they look lined up with the fenders are all secondary considerations. The oem rims are 8" wide on the front and 9.5" wide on the rear. An example of a 'bad' upgrade (one that I see over and over again) would be 10" wide on the rear and 9" wide on the front. This would increase the width of the front tires by a full inch, but the rears by only 1/2"??? ...doesn't make sense.
Interestingly enough my JDM Supra's stock wheels are 16x8 in front and 16x9 in the rear. I wonder if the people using 18x9 and 18x10 are using rims designed to be upgrades to the JDM models. Volk japan recommended 18x9 +40 and 18x10 +43 for me.
Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
Interestingly enough my JDM Supra's stock wheels are 16x8 in front and 16x9 in the rear. I wonder if the people using 18x9 and 18x10 are using rims designed to be upgrades to the JDM models. Volk japan recommended 18x9 +40 and 18x10 +43 for me.
On a percentage-of-width basis, just adding an inch to each rim isn't a balanced upgrade. You also need to to take horsepower increases into account before you decide on rim width.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #10
TurboSupera
3" Exhaust

TurboSupera is on a distinguished road

I bought my supra with 18" rims on them. I like the rims but personally I would've gone wider in the rear as well. If this helps, the current set up is.....18x9 41 offset in the front and 18x10 45 offset in the rear. When the car was lowered on eibach springs the front would rub on a u-turn. No issue in the rear. 18" rims look fine imho even at stock height. If I had to choose I'd go with 18x9 in the front and 18x11 in the rear or 18x12 in the rear if it would fit. But like the other person said....I would make sure the rim place knows what they're doing and give me a guarantee in writing. The correct offset makes a difference.
TurboSupera is offline   Reply With Quote