View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafann
93 TT anthracite..

Im looking for a 5 star wheel, donno what colour would match with anthracite so open to suggestions....black/gunmetal/white/chrome etc?

So far i think these might look good....Not sure if the spokes are "fat", if so i rather have a spoke a little less skinny, from the picture they seem perfect but ya

Racing Hart CR in graphite

Also i want my wheels to line up with my fenders so they dont look small etc...wats widths should i go with
  1. Please keep in mind you're driving a high horsepower RWD vehicle, especially after you take it to bpu+++ and beyond. As such, your first criteria must be to *proportionally* upgrade the *width* of the tires beyond stock. Styling, diameter, and even how they look lined up with the fenders are all secondary considerations. The oem rims are 8" wide on the front and 9.5" wide on the rear. An example of a 'bad' upgrade (one that I see over and over again) would be 10" wide on the rear and 9" wide on the front. This would increase the width of the front tires by a full inch, but the rears by only 1/2"??? ...doesn't make sense.
  2. How many times do you want to have to purchase new rims? I'd guess only once. Since the Mkiv Supra Turbo is so 'upgrade-friendly', you should probably consider it likely (or very likely) that you'll eventually be running at least 400rwhp or so, which is about 33% more power than oem. A 33% increase in your rear rim widths would put them at about 12.5", which is too wide unless you go widebody. By trimming your inner fender lips, you can get 11.5" wide rims on 315mm wide tires (using the correct offset of rim, of course).
  3. A 9.5" wide front rim is about perfect to go with an 11.5" wide rear rim. This will let you run anywhere from 245's to 275's up front, depending on your application and your handling preferences.
  4. When you choose your ideal rim sizes, go to tirerack or one of the other online tire stores and verify you can get a good brand/model of tire in the right size for those rims. Don't go too narrow/thin on the rear sidewall or you'll loose traction. A 35 series on the rear is minimum imo. On the front, too big of a sidewall will lead to sloppy handling. Although a 40 series is what I'd consider maximum (35 or even 30 series is ideal), you may have to go up to a 45 if you regularly drive in a city with lots of potholes (since lightweight rims do get bent/damaged more easily). When you've made your final decision on rim widths & diameters, please post back here and I'll help you find some tires if you like.
  5. Although I'd guess that 'graphite' or 'gunmetal' would go okay with an anthracite Supra, maybe you can find a powder-coating shop that will work with you on the color to get an exact match? Also, black spokes, polished&clear-coated spokes or chrome spokes are always a safe bet regardless... Honestly I'd stay FAR away from white (I'm not saying that'd look um 'ghey', but ...).
  6. What "picture" are you talking about?
  7. Again, the correct offsets will ensure your tires line up with your fenders. You'll need to work with the company supplying you the rims to get a 100% iron-clad money-back guarantee if the rims don't fit or make your tires rub your fenders, you send them back.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-20-2006 at 11:15 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote