Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Codyjamesuno is on a distinguished road
Default Hey, new suspension & boost controller options,

Ok, I have not been on here for sometime but I got a few questions to ask you guys. I had to replace my eibach springs they went bad on my car so I put
H & R and they seem to ride awesome! The eibach springs came with my car but were not on it when I purchased it, so I had them put on, drove it for 6 months then noticed they were not performing well & were sitting unequal in height. Lessen learned the hard way I guess.

Next issue I have is with my boost controller. I have the Greddy PRofec-Bspec. It has a low and a high setting on it as well as a balance nob. My question is to you, is that something I can adjust myself or something I need to have adjusted professionally? My boost gauge reads in bar, not psi so I have a conversion chat to reference. What is the safest level of boost I can run on my TT supra? I have the HKS exhaust, fuel cut, boost controller, turbo timer, cam gears, 3 inch pipe & greddy side mount intercooler & intake, ext. Whats the magic number I should look for, 12 lbs, 18 lbs? Less or more? When I got the car the settings were pretty much set on the middle of both the low and high boost settings. I run premium fuel 91 or better all the time.

Thanks for any help I can get guys, you are the experts here , not me.

Cody
Codyjamesuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyjamesuno View Post
Ok, I have not been on here for sometime but I got a few questions to ask you guys. I had to replace my eibach springs they went bad on my car. so I put
H & R and they seem to ride awesome! The eibach springs came with my car but were not on it when I purchased it, so I had them put on, drove it for 6 months then noticed they were not performing well & were sitting unequal in height. Lessen learned the hard way I guess...
Eibach springs do sit lower in the rear than the front. They didn't go bad - that's completely normal for them.
Regardless, thank you for the information about H&R springs. Glad you find them to be workable for your application.
Quote:
...Next issue I have is with my boost controller. I have the Greddy PRofec-Bspec. It has a low and a high setting on it as well as a balance nob. My question is to you, is that something I can adjust myself or something I need to have adjusted professionally?
You can adjust it yourself, as long as you're sure that you're always running a sufficient octane of fuel in your tank to match whatever boost setting you put into the boost controller.
Quote:
My boost gauge reads in bar, not psi so I have a conversion chat to reference. What is the safest level of boost I can run on my TT supra?
That depends entirely upon the exact fuel that you're running in the tank. With USA-spec 93 octane (calculated using (R+M)/2), you can safely run 16psi with the oem ecu's ignition timing curve. Anything more than that and your 2jz-gte's compression numbers will deteriorate over time. Anyone who tells you differently should offer to replace the engine if you follow their advice and the engine gets damaged.
Quote:
I have the HKS exhaust, fuel cut, boost controller, turbo timer, cam gears, 3 inch pipe & greddy side mount intercooler & intake, ext. Whats the magic number I should look for, 12 lbs, 18 lbs? Less or more? When I got the car the settings were pretty much set on the middle of both the low and high boost settings. I run premium fuel 91 or better all the time.
With 91 octane fuel, it's probably 15psi or less. I'd recommend a 1.0 bar limit (~14.5psi)

Have you considered methanol injection?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-27-2012 at 05:41 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Eibach springs do sit lower in the rear than the front. They didn't go bad - that's completely normal for them.
Regardless, thank you for the information about H&R springs. Glad you find them to be workable for your application.You can adjust it yourself, as long as you're sure that you're always running a sufficient octane of fuel in your tank to match whatever boost setting you put into the boost controller.That depends entirely upon the exact fuel that you're running in the tank. With USA-spec 93 octane (calculated using (R+M)/2), you can safely run 16psi with the oem ecu's ignition timing curve. Anything more than that and your 2jz-gte's compression numbers will deteriorate over time. Anyone who tells you differently should offer to replace the engine if you follow their advice and the engine gets damaged.With 91 octane fuel, it's probably 15psi or less. I'd recommend a 1.0 bar limit (~14.5psi)

Have you considered methanol injection?
No they went bad, i'm not talking about the difference in the front and rear, i am talking about the height of the car, in the front, the car sat over a 1/2 inch higher on the passenger side of the car then on the drivers side, the springs went bad, they were 17 years old i'm guessing they were bad when I put them on thats why they were not on the car when I purchased it. The new H & R seem to ride much nicer then my old springs. Thanks for the boost help, thats pretty much what I was thinking just figured Id ask.

im guessing the methonal injection is pretty pricey, i did consider it on my bike, but never went through with it, you recommend it to be safe?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Thanks for the boost help, thats pretty much what I was thinking just figured Id ask.

im guessing the methonal injection is pretty pricey, i did consider it on my bike, but never went through with it, you recommend it to be safe?
Too bad you're stuck with 91 octane.

Meth injection is like anything - if you get a high quality kit, and you get it installed by professionals OR you really research and take your time...and if you get it tuned properly, it *can* be safe. However, if you get the cheapest kit out there, get 'bubba to install it in his driveway, and do no tuning...you can be pretty much guaranteed it won't be safe and your engine will get damaged even quicker because you'll be running more boost, assuming the meth kit will work. Make sense?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:

Meth injection is like anything - if you get a high quality kit, and you get it installed by professionals OR you really research and take your time...and if you get it tuned properly, it *can* be safe. However, if you get the cheapest kit out there, get 'bubba to install it in his driveway, and do no tuning...you can be pretty much guaranteed it won't be safe and your engine will get damaged even quicker because you'll be running more boost, assuming the meth kit will work. Make sense?
yeah i think the highest we have here is 92 at a bp, where would be the best bet to purchase a high quality kit? I have a great installer who I would use,

thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:

they do sell unleded 110 down the street but its $$$!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
yeah i think the highest we have here is 92 at a bp, where would be the best bet to purchase a high quality kit? I have a great installer who I would use,

thanks
Here's an example of a good quality kit:
http://www.snowperformance.net/stage...st-cooler.html

Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

so would that kit be a decent way to add hp to my car? With it cooling down the air intake do you run more boost safely ? I've looked at those before for my motorcycle and bought the kit but never had it installed. I am very interested in that as i am looking to be safe when boosting. Thanks I am guessing the car would need to be tuned after thats installed?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
so would that kit be a decent way to add hp to my car?...
No, that kit only provides a boost to the octane, in order to prevent detonation and engine damage. The hp add comes from more boost and more fuel.
Quote:
...With it cooling down the air intake do you run more boost safely ?...
Yes. Precisely correct.
Quote:
...I've looked at those before for my motorcycle and bought the kit but never had it installed. I am very interested in that as i am looking to be safe when boosting. Thanks I am guessing the car would need to be tuned after thats installed?
Again, 100% correct. The meth kit needs to be tuned, the air/fuel needs to be tuned, etc. Basically every time the vehicle is modified, it needs to be re-tuned.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Ok, I have not been on here for sometime but I got a few questions to ask you guys. I had to replace my eibach springs they went bad on my car so I put
H & R and they seem to ride awesome! The eibach springs came with my car but were not on it when I purchased it, so I had them put on, drove it for 6 months then noticed they were not performing well & were sitting unequal in height. Lessen learned the hard way I guess.

Cody
Ok, somebody please help me, give me your opinions. If you read my original post about you'll know that my supra ended up needing new springs as it was sitting uneven exspecially in the front of the car. I took it to my local shop and was told the springs were bad & the bump stops were not cut right, bad eibach springs was the general conclusion. So I had them replaced with H & R, and the problem was solved. So now about a month later, I'm driving my car & notice it seems to be riding rough again, so I get out and look and sure enough, the drivers side from tire gap between the wheel and the fender dropped , over a 1/2 inch , over a half inch less in gap between the passenger side. Guys what could be causing this? I know on tuesday i'm going right back to the shop to bitch as this problem obviously wasn't fixed the first time, but why would it take a month for the car to settle down in height? Here are two pictures i took of both front wheels. The first picture is of the drivers side wheel gap, the other is the passenger side gap,

Cody
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	4664   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	4665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3214.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	4666  

Last edited by Codyjamesuno; 09-02-2012 at 04:07 PM.