Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyjamesuno View Post
Ok, somebody please help me, give me your opinions. If you read my original post about you'll know that my supra ended up needing new springs as it was sitting uneven exspecially in the front of the car. I took it to my local shop and was told the springs were bad & the bump stops were not cut right, bad eibach springs was the general conclusion. So I had them replaced with H & R, and the problem was solved. So now about a month later, I'm driving my car & notice it seems to be riding rough again, so I get out and look and sure enough, the drivers side from tire gap between the wheel and the fender dropped , over a 1/2 inch , over a half inch less in gap between the passenger side. Guys what could be causing this? I know on tuesday i'm going right back to the shop to bitch as this problem obviously wasn't fixed the first time, but why would it take a month for the car to settle down in height? Here are two pictures i took of both front wheels. The first picture is of the drivers side wheel gap, the other is the passenger side gap,

Cody
It was:
1) Nothing to do with the bump stops. What do they mean "were not cut right"? If they're talking about cut...from the factory..., then they're either ignorant of or inappropriately implying some sort of poor quality control at Toyota. Insanity. Within a fraction of a millimeter, every Mkiv Supra Turbo bump stop is exactly the same. However, if they're suggesting that someone modified the oem bump stops, firstly that would be silly and secondly bump stops only come into effect when you hit bumps and the suspension bottoms or tops out - i.e. not when the car is just sitting there on a flat surface. Because of this I can't help but thinking the shop you're taking the car to isn't qualified to do the work.
2) Most likely the problem has to do with how the suspension was torqued after the install. Anyone working one the car MUST follow the steps in the TSRM to adjust the suspension. This involves snugging the bolts, putting on the wheels taking the car off the lift, bouncing it up and down, putting it back up on the lift, and then loosening and re-tightening the bolts. Again, to make this easy, make sure anyone working on your Supra has the TSRM. It's that simple.
3) There is a small chance the frame on your Supra is slightly bent/twisted. How well do you know your Supra's vehicle history? If you're 100%+++++ sure that the suspension bolts were tightened, torqued and adjusted perfectly according to the steps in the TSRM then you may want to take it to a frame shop to get laser-checked.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #12
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Codyjamesuno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
It was:
1) Nothing to do with the bump stops. What do they mean "were not cut right"? If they're talking about cut...from the factory..., then they're either ignorant of or inappropriately implying some sort of poor quality control at Toyota. Insanity. Within a fraction of a millimeter, every Mkiv Supra Turbo bump stop is exactly the same. However, if they're suggesting that someone modified the oem bump stops, firstly that would be silly and secondly bump stops only come into effect when you hit bumps and the suspension bottoms or tops out - i.e. not when the car is just sitting there on a flat surface. Because of this I can't help but thinking the shop you're taking the car to isn't qualified to do the work.
2) Most likely the problem has to do with how the suspension was torqued after the install. Anyone working one the car MUST follow the steps in the TSRM to adjust the suspension. This involves snugging the bolts, putting on the wheels taking the car off the lift, bouncing it up and down, putting it back up on the lift, and then loosening and re-tightening the bolts. Again, to make this easy, make sure anyone working on your Supra has the TSRM. It's that simple.
3) There is a small chance the frame on your Supra is slightly bent/twisted. How well do you know your Supra's vehicle history? If you're 100%+++++ sure that the suspension bolts were tightened, torqued and adjusted perfectly according to the steps in the TSRM then you may want to take it to a frame shop to get laser-checked.
As for the history , it only had two owners before me & according to car fax it was never involved in a wreck. TSRM, guessing that means the Supra Repair Manual? I trust the shop I take it to as ive known them for years & they do allot of work with newer supra's & imports. I will talk to them tuesday & mention what you have told me and report back to you what he says.

Thanks
Codyjamesuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #13
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyjamesuno View Post
As for the history , it only had two owners before me & according to car fax it was never involved in a wreck. TSRM, guessing that means the Supra Repair Manual? I trust the shop I take it to as ive known them for years & they do allot of work with newer supra's & imports. I will talk to them tuesday & mention what you have told me and report back to you what he says.

Thanks
Honestly, if he says anything other than "Yeah, we have the Toyota Supra Repair Manuals, for your Supra's model year right here", or possibly "yeah, that dude on the internet is right - I'll order a copy of our own TSRMs right now", I'd dump them. I know it's hard to find a shop you trust, but it's even harder to find one you trust *and* really knows how to work on the Mkiv Supra Turbo. If he doesn't have the TSRMs, I feel really sorry for the other "new supra's" that he's already worked on.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote