Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

Mk3FirstCar-Mike is on a distinguished road

I'm aware that you don't mix the methanol and the gas. That just seems to be about the amount of meth that people go through in relation to gallons of gasoline, but as you've said, it doesn't get used unless you're boosting. As for the part brands... I was just trying to make some suggestions. I hadn't heard anything about GReddy canceling their MKIV parts prior to this and I hadn't really noticed about the out-dated turbos, but I'll certainly admit defeat there. For Megan, they are sub-par, but they're cheap(Just trying to cover all roads) With Apexi... I've met a few people that swear by them, but I'd go with HKS over them any day. It's really all up to preference and how much money you've got to work with - Now I'm gonna go read up on Moton and Penske suspension to see if I might be interested in some for my MKIII if they even make it.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Mk3FirstCar-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
iNs0mN1a
Stock

iNs0mN1a is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Omg, please don't use windshield washer fluid! It contains soap - something you definitely don't want running through your alcohol injection pump. Also, (in case you were wondering) don't ask about the pints of octane booster off-the-shelf in auto parts stores because they don't work either - if you read the label carefully, it talks about raising the octane by "points". When you see "raise octane by one point" think 93->93.1, NOT 93->94.

The alcohol injection only sprays when you're boosting. If you drive your car like a granny, your alcohol supply will last forever.

Again, don't mix the alcohol into your gasoline. Here are your (proven) choices:
  1. Run enough a high enough octane of race fuel to match your boost level. Note you can mix high octane race fuel with pump gas for mid-level horsepower needs.
    This is by far the most popular choice for high horsepower Mkivs. Every Mkiv owner I know that runs pure race fuel 100% of the time (and doesn't formally compete with it in serious drag racing) has never blown their engine.
  2. Invest in an alcohol injection kit (again, alcohol is easy to find!). Don't plan on more than about 650rwhp (6spd) with this option, since the pump flow and nozzle sizes are limited.
  3. Run E85 (this choice is growing in popularity, as more and more gas stations are offering this fuel). It's a very good option since E85 is much less expensive than race fuel (its not much more, mile-for-mile, than pump gas). On the downside, your full tank of fuel gets you half as far.
  4. Run 93 octane fuel and never boost more than 16psi
    (this choice is your easiest one, of course).
  5. You actually can mix a few gallons of pure Toluene into your 93 octane pump gas for a small octane boost.
  6. Propane injection will probably work too, although I don't have personal experience using it in an Mkiv Supra.
All other roads lead to melted pistons. Don't say you weren't warned. Lots of other folks will tell you this and that and whatever is okay. If you follow my advice, and the components are expertly installed, well maintained, and regularly tested, you'll never need to buy a new shortblock. If anyone offers you less conservative advice, I advise you to ask them if they'll pay for your new shortblock if it doesn't work!
Firstly,thank you for taking you're time to respond in such a manner
Secondly,I don't plan to take my supra higher than 700 hp(~600 rwhp).What would you recommand for this? w/m inj kit or alcohol inj kit ?
The windshield washer fluid is supposed to have ~60% water / 40% methanol...

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 11:47 AM.
iNs0mN1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNs0mN1a View Post
Firstly,thank you for taking you're time to respond in such a manner
Secondly,I don't plan to take my supra higher than 700 hp(~600 rwhp).What would you recommand for this? w/m inj kit or alcohol inj kit ?
The windshield washer fluid is supposed to have ~60% water / 40% methanol...
Glad to help.

By "w/m inj kit" I assume you mean a water/methanol injection kit. Methanol is one type of alcohol. So a "w/m inj kit" is the same thing as an "alcohol inj kit".

For 600rwhp I recommend pure 100 (motor) octane unleaded race fuel. A "w/m inj kit" should work fine too, as long as it's properly installed, well maintained, and regularly tested. If the turbo you choose is capable of more than 600rwhp (which I hope it is not), your boost control will have to be rock-solid.

Again, you don't want the soap and the bug-melting chemicals in windshield washer fluid running through your w/m inj pump or your engine.

I recommend 90% alcohol/methanol, and 10% water for your optimal horsepower & octane boost. 60% water & 40% alcohol is cheaper, of course and perhaps slightly higher in pure octane boost. However, octane does not = horsepower. You loose too many BTUs of heat with 60% water...and therefore too much horsepower is lost along with that reduction in heat! 60/40 might be fine for some ricer honduh or 'billy rustang owner (no offense) trying to put a hitch in his giddyap, but for an Mkiv Supra Turbo running 25psi+ of boost, it just isn't anywhere near optimal.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 11:56 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
iNs0mN1a
Stock

Quote:
Glad to help.

By "w/m inj kit" I assume you mean a water/methanol injection kit. Methanol is one type of alcohol. So a "w/m inj kit" is the same thing as an "alcohol inj kit".

For 600rwhp I recommend pure 100 (motor) octane unleaded race fuel. A "w/m inj kit" should work fine too, as long as it's properly installed, well maintained, and regularly tested. If the turbo you choose is capable of more than 600rwhp (which I hope it is not), your boost control will have to be rock-solid.

Again, you don't want the soap and the bug-melting chemicals in windshield washer fluid running through your w/m inj pump or your engine.

I recommend 90% alcohol/methanol, and 10% water for your optimal horsepower & octane boost. 60% water & 40% alcohol is cheaper, of course and perhaps slightly higher in pure octane boost (but octane does not = horsepower). However, you loose too many BTUs of heat with 60% water...and therefore too much horsepower is lost along with that reduction in heat! 60/40 might be fine for some ricer honduh or 'billy rustang owner (no offense) trying to put a hitch in his giddyap, but for an Mkiv Supra Turbo run 25psi+ of boost, it just isn't optimal.
Wait,this makes me confused...so if i run JUST race fuel,can i drive without the water/methanol injection kit(is it no longer necessary?
By race fuel what do you mean?Pure race fuel(found near the tracks) or fuel with high-octane number?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Wait,this makes me confused...so if i run JUST race fuel,can i drive without the water/methanol injection kit(is it no longer necessary?
By race fuel what do you mean?Pure race fuel(found near the tracks) or fuel with high-octane number?
Yes, yes, and yes.

For example, refer to "MotorSport 109™":
http://vpracingfuels.wb.gs/page46966...ection15555665

Here's a local supplier of race fuel in Romania:
http://www.autosolution.ro/news.php

...and one in the UK:
http://trackstuff.co.uk/VP%20MotorSport%20109.htm

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
iNs0mN1a
Stock

Quote:
Yes, yes, and yes.

For example, refer to "MotorSport 109™":
http://vpracingfuels.wb.gs/page46966...ection15555665

Here's a local supplier of race fuel in Romania:
http://www.autosolution.ro/news.php

...and one in the UK:
http://trackstuff.co.uk/VP%20MotorSport%20109.htm
If i understand correctly...i have to buy gas every time from the internet.So it's waaaay more easier to put in a w/m inj kit and just use pump gas + buy just the alcohol(methanol) needed...right?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
If i understand correctly...i have to buy gas every time from the internet.So it's waaaay more easier to put in a w/m inj kit and just use pump gas + buy just the alcohol(methanol) needed...right?
That's a complex question, very dependent upon where you live. Many tuning shops also carry race fuel. As you said, you can find it at race tracks, and of course race fuel distributor locations. When you move to the UK, why not consider your fuel supply when you pick the place to live?

Don't forget you only need high octane fuel when you mash the accelerator pedal to the floor. Whenever you drive like a granny, pump gas is just fine.

I'm not trying to talk you out of alcohol injection. However, it would be another completely new system on the car, and a therefore a new potential failure point. Running race fuel avoids this complexity. Lastly, alcohol injection has a max horsepower limit; if you quickly outgrow 600rwhp, that alcohol injection system could turn out to be a waste of time and money.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
iNs0mN1a
Stock

Quote:
That's a complex question, very dependent upon where you live. Many tuning shops also carry race fuel. When you move to the UK, why not consider your fuel supply when you pick the place to live?

Don't forget you only need high octane fuel when you mash the accelerator pedal to the floor. Whenever you drive like a granny, pump gas is just fine.
Yup,that's a very good idea...I just wanted to gather all the info and just make a total of $ I need to invest beside the car itself,this is why one of my questions was how many hp's will a bpu++(+) / apu have,so i can know the parts i will be needing and their prices
Oh and i'm not buying a supra to drive it like a granny
Old 07-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #19
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
... Oh and i'm not buying a supra to drive it like a granny
True, but if you drive it aggressively all the time then gas mileage will suck and it will cost you a fortune in traffic tickets.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
iNs0mN1a
Stock

Quote:
True, but if you drive it aggressively all the time then gas mileage will suck and it will cost you a fortune in traffic tickets.
Yes i know,you're right...but i wasn't suggesting aggressively,but just w00ting once in a while(of course,every time i drive).
So that means w/m inj kit would be better,right? Cause if i have low octane fuel in the tank and i want to drive it fast for a few minutes,that would mean high boost(high boost,low octane fuel =>not friends )