Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
iNs0mN1a
Stock

iNs0mN1a is on a distinguished road
Default Future owner,few questions :)

I'm moving to U.K so that means my dream car will be alot cheaper ,then finding a LHD one...
I'm going to buy a (stock) TT Supra,manual transmission of course and make a little rocket from it but i have a few questions:
1)At what maximum mileage should i look so i could have the car at least 2-3 years and use it quite frequently without any major problems?150k km?
2)What's the maximum hp i could achieve on normal fuel(without having to mix it with meth..etc).Or if i run on meth(or smth else?) what does that involve(fuel system,fuel consumption,fuel cost,mixing ?? etc)i'm quite a noob at fuel beside the normal one.
3)How many hp's will a BPU++ supra have and how many will a APU(+) have?
4)What are the best quality / price parts i should look for?(exhaust(full),bov,greedy bcc?etc...)
Thank you very much!
Pwpanas you're help would be godlike!
iNs0mN1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNs0mN1a View Post
I'm moving to U.K so that means my dream car will be alot cheaper ,then finding a LHD one...
I'm going to buy a (stock) TT Supra,manual transmission of course and make a little rocket from it but i have a few questions:
1)At what maximum mileage should i look so i could have the car at least 2-3 years and use it quite frequently without any major problems?150k km?
Mileage isn't anywhere near as important as maintenance records (to prove proper maintenance). You could get a properly maintained Mkiv with 200,000 miles (not km) on it and still have a decent starting point...or you could get one with 100k km (not miles) that's been poorly maintained and driven abusively and need to replace/refurb all major driveline, suspension, and braking components.
Quote:
2)What's the maximum hp i could achieve on normal fuel(without having to mix it with meth..etc).Or if i run on meth(or smth else?) what does that involve(fuel system,fuel consumption,fuel cost,mixing ?? etc)i'm quite a noob at fuel beside the normal one.
On 93 (R+M)/2 octane pump gas, 350rwhp with the oem twin turbos is a realistic goal. With a large aftermarket turbo setup, you could get to 600rwhp or more on low boost BUT it would be a terrible setup and you wouldn't like it - it would take forever for a huge turbo to spool up (eg. 6000 rpms), and then you'd be limited to low boost that's far below that huge turbo's optimal efficiency range. In short, it's a bad plan to try to get a lot of hp out of a small displacement engine on low octane fuel.
- Your other question about methanol makes more sense, but you don't mix it with the fuel. You need to install a separate meth injection system.
Quote:
3)How many hp's will a BPU++ supra have and how many will a APU(+) have?
BPU++, on race fuel (or meth) *can* get over 425rwhp (6spd) depending on the state of your oem twin turbos and your oem short block. With APU, horsepower is only limited by the size of your pocketbook, up to about 2000rwhp. (really)
Quote:
4)What are the best quality / price parts i should look for?(exhaust(full),bov,greedy bcc?etc...)
Look for top brand name parts, like JUN, HKS and Top Secret. Domestic suppliers like Sound Performance, MVP Motorsports, Powerhouse, Titan Motorsports, and RPS also provide high quality parts.
Quote:
Thank you very much!
Pwpanas you're help would be godlike!
Please don't be silly. I'm just a regular guy that has read a bit about this car, got one, read some more, and then worked on a number of them. I learned a lot from other Supra owners, and almost every day from fellow forum members. Always glad to help.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-29-2011 at 10:53 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

Mk3FirstCar-Mike is on a distinguished road

I've heard good things about Apexi, Blitz, GReddy and HorsePowerFreaks as well. You could try Megan Racing on your suspension. They're a starting company, but I haven't heard anything displeasing about them.
Mk3FirstCar-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
iNs0mN1a
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
On 93 (R+M)/2 octane pump gas, 350rwhp with the oem twin turbos is a realistic goal. With a large aftermarket turbo setup, you could get to 600rwhp or more on low boost BUT it would be a terrible setup and you wouldn't like it - it would take forever for a huge turbo to spool up (eg. 6000 rpms), and then you'd be limited to low boost that's far below that huge turbo's optimal efficiency range. In short, it's a bad plan to try to get a lot of hp out of a small displacement engine on low octane fuel.
- Your other question about methanol makes more sense, but you don't mix it with the fuel. You need to install a separate meth injection system.
B
Can you please elaborate a bit?Where can i find meth to supply the car with and how much does meth cost + what's the consumption ?
Will meth damage the turbo/engine in the long run faster than going only with the pump gas?
Thanx alot
Old 07-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

You can read up on it here.http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...Systems//13011
I really don't know much about it, sorry.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
iNs0mN1a
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3FirstCar-Mike View Post
You can read up on it here.http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...Systems//13011
I really don't know much about it, sorry.
Yeah i found how it technically works but i was wondering in how much time does the methanol run out,how much of it contributes to the total fuel used...It just seems impractical to drive 200-300 km to another city with the methanol injection kit(having to fill up the methanol every 100km?)...this is what i don't understand...

L.E:I just found something...that you can put windshield fluid in the injection kit tank because some of them contain almost 40% meth,is that true?
And how are the other supra owners doing it?Do they just buy pure methanol and mix it manually or just buy windshield fluid ?
I'm confused

Last edited by iNs0mN1a; 07-29-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

I've read a few things and it seems to be about 3 quarts of methanol - 16 gallons of gas, but I don't know where to get methanol in the first place. As for the window washer fluid, some of it does contain about 35% methanol, but I have no idea if it's safe to use in the injection system. I'll keep digging, though.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I've heard good things about Apexi, Blitz, GReddy and HorsePowerFreaks as well. You could try Megan Racing on your suspension. They're a starting company, but I haven't heard anything displeasing about them.
Unfortunately, I must disagree - at least in part. To begin with, I'd ask that you reread the original question:
Quote:
He asked about "the best"...not merely something "good", or something that you "haven't heard anything displeasing about". iNs0mN1a, I know you also mentioned price, but you put quality first in your question. If you meant it the other way around, please let us know!

Note: I can and do only recommend something I either ran/run personally, or is being used by someone that I trust. I do agree with you about HorsePowerFreaks - I'd put them almost on-par with MVP, and I like the way their web site works - great selection. The rest of them however, are clearly second tier at best and with the case of Megan Racing, to me, third tier or worse. For example, take a look at Megan's track shocks - there isn't even a setup for the Mkiv Supra!!! I haven't heard of anyone of note running Megan for roadracing an Mkiv (and winning with them), so for me personally I have to advise iNs0mN1a to stay away from them. For suspension, I can't even call HKS "the best"...to get "the best" suspension, you'll have to go with Moton, or Penske. Unfortunately, Ohlin doesn't make a race-spec shock for the Mkiv. Personally I run GC/ADs, but wish I could afford some Motons or Penskes.

Although GReddy's 4-row intercooler is fine, their turbo kits have a terrible wastegate design, and utilize ancient 1980s technology turbos (eg. T88). How can you compare this to HKS, which has updated their T04R turbo kit to use the much newer T04Z? Also, GReddy has already stopped making and selling many of their parts for the Mkiv Supra (eg. Their GReddy SP exhaust used to be the best quiet street exhaust for the Mkiv, before it was discontinued). The one exception of course (in HKS vs. GReddy) is the GReddy BCC, which is a critical component for a US-spec Mkiv at BPU level. A'PEXi's electronics are okay, but again, to me, they're not on the same level as HKS. Blitz does make a good blowoff valve, but almost no one runs their turbo kit for the Mkiv Supra.

Like I said above, if you want "the best", stick with top brand name parts, like JUN, HKS and Top Secret. Domestic suppliers like Sound Performance, MVP Motorsports, Powerhouse, RPS, Titan Motorsports, ARD, Boost Logic, and HPF also provide high quality parts. All just mho. Please post if you disagree with these opinions.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I've read a few things and it seems to be about 3 quarts of methanol - 16 gallons of gas, but I don't know where to get methanol in the first place. As for the window washer fluid, some of it does contain about 35% methanol, but I have no idea if it's safe to use in the injection system. I'll keep digging, though.
With a separate meth injection system you can make at least 650rwhp (6spd) on 93 (r+m)/2 pump gas.

You can get meth direct from gasoline distributors - the same place you get pure race fuel in barrels. You can also get 1-gallon tin containers of denatured alcohol from home supply stores that work in alcohol+water injection systems too.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Yeah i found how it technically works but i was wondering in how much time does the methanol run out,how much of it contributes to the total fuel used...It just seems impractical to drive 200-300 km to another city with the methanol injection kit(having to fill up the methanol every 100km?)...this is what i don't understand...

L.E:I just found something...that you can put windshield fluid in the injection kit tank because some of them contain almost 40% meth,is that true?
And how are the other supra owners doing it?Do they just buy pure methanol and mix it manually or just buy windshield fluid ?
I'm confused
Omg, please don't use windshield washer fluid! It contains soap - something you definitely don't want running through your alcohol injection pump. Also, (in case you were wondering) don't ask about the pints of octane booster off-the-shelf in auto parts stores because they don't work either - if you read the label carefully, it talks about raising the octane by "points". When you see "raise octane by one point" think 93->93.1, NOT 93->94.

The alcohol injection only sprays when you're boosting. If you drive your car like a granny, your alcohol supply will last forever.
Here are your (proven) choices:
  1. Run enough a high enough octane of race fuel to match your boost level. Note you can mix high octane race fuel with pump gas for mid-level horsepower needs.
    This is by far the most popular choice for high horsepower Mkivs. Every Mkiv owner I know that runs pure race fuel 100% of the time (and doesn't formally compete with it in serious drag racing) has never blown their engine.
  2. Invest in an alcohol injection kit (again, alcohol is easy to find!). Don't plan on more than about 650rwhp (6spd) with this option, since the pump flow and nozzle sizes are limited.
  3. Run E85 (this choice is growing in popularity, as more and more gas stations are offering this fuel). It's a very good option since E85 is much less expensive than race fuel (its not much more, mile-for-mile, than pump gas). On the downside, your full tank of fuel gets you half as far.
  4. Run 93 octane fuel and never boost more than 16psi. This choice is your easiest one, of course.
  5. You actually can mix a few gallons of pure Toluene into your 93 octane pump gas for a small octane boost.
  6. Propane injection will probably work too, although I don't have personal experience using it in an Mkiv Supra.
All other roads lead to melted pistons. Don't say you weren't warned. Lots of other folks will tell you this and that and whatever is okay. If you follow my advice, and the components are expertly installed, well maintained, and regularly tested, you'll never need to buy a new shortblock. If anyone offers you less conservative advice, I advise you to ask them if they'll pay for your new shortblock when it doesn't work!

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-31-2011 at 02:51 PM.