Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Ungoliant
Stock

Ungoliant is on a distinguished road
Default Buying a Supra, I have some questions.

Okay, first I'm going to start by telling a little bit about myself. Skip to the bottom for questions if you're not interested.

I'm an automotive major at a local tech school down here, I just got done with my general ed stuff this past semester, next semester I have a full load of automotive classes and will be completing my automotive degree over the course of the next year and a half. I love cars and above all, the Supra. Why? They're monsters if you do them right, and I really like the potential Supras have with the engines they came with, as well as the fact that they got alot of their information for the rest of their line of cars from racing Supras, being the top-line Toyota.

Anywho, I had an '88 CRX I was gonna drop a B18 into, but it got wrecked. If you want a picture, just ask. Then I got stuck with a fucking Saturn SL2. It's a nice car, but I can't do anything really special with it. So I have my daily driver, basically. I've been looking around for a project car to work on while I learn the car stuff. Lo and behold, a 3rd gen Supra's been sitting outside a car shop for a few weeks, I've been eyeing it...Supras are my favorite car, especially the 3rd gen. The late '80s sports car look just gets my rocks off.

So finally, I stopped by the other day to ask about it. I'd been eyeing it for so long I just couldn't go any longer without asking. Here's what I found out:

It doesn't run, due to a hole in the engine block and spews oil. That's fine, I'm going to do one out of two swaps anyway. The body and interior need minor work, i.e. paint job, a small dent bumped out, glove box replaced, center arm rest compartment thing replaced (Sorry, I don't know my way around supra interios that well, so I don't know what to call the thing between the seats, behind the shifter). The guy's got some of the interior stuff he'll give to me if when I start to buy it.

Basically what I'm going to do is pick it up after Christmas, and have the Supra sit out in front of my house with a car cover over it (to keep it from getting rusty, etc.), and I'll be working on body/interior stuff while I'm saving up for the engine, then pop that sucker in there when I get the money for the engine.

It's probably going to take me around a year to get everything said and done before I can start tuning it. Saving up money is the major timekiller. I don't mind fully funding this myself because I love Supras with a passion, and I know it'll be worth the wait.

Anyway, the options I'm looking into are either the 1JZGTTE:
http://www.japanpowerinc.com/engines...=_1JZGTTE#spec

Or the 2JZGTTE:
http://www.japanpowerinc.com/engines...=_2JZGTTE#spec

And my questions:

1. What kind of work goes into a 2JZ swap with a MKIII Supra?

2. What are the pros and cons of each swap?

3. Is the site mentioned above a reliable engine site? Make note they do come with a warranty.
I also found this site:
http://www.jsamotors.com/catalog_cat...spx?cat_id=119

4. What will I need other than engine, tranny, motor mounts, and wiring harness for each swap (I'm assuming electrical system accessories)?

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to posting on here more in the near future.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
mizuboi
3" Exhaust

mizuboi is on a distinguished road

you will need new everything its pretty much taking out the engine of an mk3 stripping all the original parts out banging out the fire wall to almost the airconditioner to make room for the turbos also some work done to the transmission tunnel the tranny is a lot more how should i say beefy? new drive shaft new lsd and a whole lot of wiring
look for a site similar to osakajapanesemotors or something loiek that that is where i got my 7mgte and its great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungoliant
Okay, first I'm going to start by telling a little bit about myself. Skip to the bottom for questions if you're not interested.

I'm an automotive major at a local tech school down here, I just got done with my general ed stuff this past semester, next semester I have a full load of automotive classes and will be completing my automotive degree over the course of the next year and a half. I love cars and above all, the Supra. Why? They're monsters if you do them right, and I really like the potential Supras have with the engines they came with, as well as the fact that they got alot of their information for the rest of their line of cars from racing Supras, being the top-line Toyota.

Anywho, I had an '88 CRX I was gonna drop a B18 into, but it got wrecked. If you want a picture, just ask. Then I got stuck with a fucking Saturn SL2. It's a nice car, but I can't do anything really special with it. So I have my daily driver, basically. I've been looking around for a project car to work on while I learn the car stuff. Lo and behold, a 3rd gen Supra's been sitting outside a car shop for a few weeks, I've been eyeing it...Supras are my favorite car, especially the 3rd gen. The late '80s sports car look just gets my rocks off.

So finally, I stopped by the other day to ask about it. I'd been eyeing it for so long I just couldn't go any longer without asking. Here's what I found out:

It doesn't run, due to a hole in the engine block and spews oil. That's fine, I'm going to do one out of two swaps anyway. The body and interior need minor work, i.e. paint job, a small dent bumped out, glove box replaced, center arm rest compartment thing replaced (Sorry, I don't know my way around supra interios that well, so I don't know what to call the thing between the seats, behind the shifter). The guy's got some of the interior stuff he'll give to me if when I start to buy it.

Basically what I'm going to do is pick it up after Christmas, and have the Supra sit out in front of my house with a car cover over it (to keep it from getting rusty, etc.), and I'll be working on body/interior stuff while I'm saving up for the engine, then pop that sucker in there when I get the money for the engine.

It's probably going to take me around a year to get everything said and done before I can start tuning it. Saving up money is the major timekiller. I don't mind fully funding this myself because I love Supras with a passion, and I know it'll be worth the wait.

Anyway, the options I'm looking into are either the 1JZGTTE:
http://www.japanpowerinc.com/engines...=_1JZGTTE#spec

Or the 2JZGTTE:
http://www.japanpowerinc.com/engines...=_2JZGTTE#spec

And my questions:

1. What kind of work goes into a 2JZ swap with a MKIII Supra?

2. What are the pros and cons of each swap?

3. Is the site mentioned above a reliable engine site? Make note they do come with a warranty.
I also found this site:
http://www.jsamotors.com/catalog_cat...spx?cat_id=119

4. What will I need other than engine, tranny, motor mounts, and wiring harness for each swap (I'm assuming electrical system accessories)?

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to posting on here more in the near future.
new fly wheeel
and not running

for sale
car parts for sale
misc. things for sale

stole it from sm
mizuboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Ungoliant
Stock

I don't think I'll be using Osaka JDM Motors:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/osakajdm

http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/Osaka.php
Old 12-21-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

your best bet to find a 1jz or 2jz is on the forum, although i got my 7mgte over ebay. remember though, when you buy online, its a risk, you never know what you will get. any ways good luck with your project, if you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask
Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
Ungoliant
Stock

So what portion of the forums do people usually sell engines on?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
supraman121
12psi boost

supraman121 is on a distinguished road

You can buy 7mgt, 7mgte, and maybe the 1jz from autozone or advanced auto parts stores will the 7mgt and the 7mgte and they give you two options you can get a using low-milage one ore you can get a rebuilt and im sure if there is somthing wrong with the motor they will send it back and get you another one and the lowmilage one is like 1200 and i think you get a core charge

www.myspace.com/coreyjstevens

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1536317037 <------ this one should work check out the accident one aswell ya i might be a "fat kid" but i sure can move fast!~
supraman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 AM   #7
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

hmmm 7mgte from autozone? never heard of that.

if you wanna do a swap, go 1jz. there's alot of guys out there that have done it and that can help you along. search the for sale sections of the forums. supraforums.com and supramania.com usually have one and if your desperate check ebay
Old 12-23-2006, 05:17 AM   #8
burton51m
Lexus & 550's

burton51m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3pz
hmmm 7mgte from autozone? never heard of that.

haha not my autozone here.

they suckkk

burton51m is offline   Reply With Quote