Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNs0mN1a View Post
Yes i know,you're right...but i wasn't suggesting aggressively,but just w00ting once in a while(of course,every time i drive).
So that means w/m inj kit would be better,right? Cause if i have low octane fuel in the tank and i want to drive it fast for a few minutes,that would mean high boost(high boost,low octane fuel =>not friends )
Why w00t on your way to work stuck in rush hour traffic? You could run w00tless weekdays and run race fuel on the weekends. Either way, I think you have all of the information you need to make your own decision on this topic.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
deigima
Stock

deigima is on a distinguished road

id just like to pop my head in here, im new to the supra scene, but i know how strong the supra engine/driveline is, and all that, and in my reading i have read that it is possible, through upgrading the exhaust, intake, and engine management, that you can acheive 450-500 hp, is it as simple as it sounds, and more importantly, possible? im mostly concerned about this methanol injection thing, if i want to run a bit bigger horsepower figures i dont want to have to run different feul, id prefer just using pump gas..
deigima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #23
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deigima View Post
id just like to pop my head in here, im new to the supra scene, but i know how strong the supra engine/driveline is, and all that, and in my reading i have read that it is possible, through upgrading the exhaust, intake, and engine management, that you can acheive 450-500 hp, is it as simple as it sounds, and more importantly, possible? im mostly concerned about this methanol injection thing, if i want to run a bit bigger horsepower figures i dont want to have to run different feul, id prefer just using pump gas..
Do you mean hp or rwhp?

Either way, yes, it is that simple. Raising horsepower in a turbocharged vehicle is typically not that difficult. The Mkiv Supra Turbo (TT) makes it even easier since almost all of its components are over-spec'd.

Not sure what you mean about a methanol injection concern. Alcohol / water injection is the only practical way to run high horsepower with a relatively small displacement engine (3L) and pump gas. It's great to want everything and then "prefer" to get it all for nothing but unfortunately cars (and life) just don't work that way. The old saying goes: You gotta pay to play, baby!

So, in general* it's one of the following options if you stick with the oem ecu: 1) race fuel at $10-$30/gallon, or 2) methanol injection, 3) ~30% Toluene+MMO ...or be 4) be happy with about 350rwhp max. With an aftermarket ecu you can squeeze a bit more out by playing with the timing curve (be careful!).

* Caveat/disclaimer: There always is one, isn't there? It is possible (but not practical) to get more rwhp on pump gas with a huge turbo. The problems are that 1) the big turbo won't spool till about 6k rpms, and 2) you'll still need to limit boost to about 16psi. Since huge turbos are designed to be efficient at 35psi+, you get the worst of both worlds - terrible turbo lag together with running a huge turbo far below it's ideal boost level. This is such a goofy corner-case that it's barely worth mentioning...I only included it here for completeness of response.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-14-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #24
deigima
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Do you mean hp or rwhp?

Either way, yes, it is that simple. Raising horsepower in a turbocharged vehicle is typically not that difficult. The Mkiv Supra Turbo (TT) makes it even easier since almost all of its components are over-spec'd.

Not sure what you mean about a methanol injection concern. Alcohol / water injection is the only practical way to run high horsepower with a relatively small displacement engine (3L) and pump gas. It's great to want everything and then "prefer" to get it all for nothing but unfortunately cars (and life) just don't work that way. The old saying goes: You gotta pay to play, baby!

So, in general* it's one of the following options if you stick with the oem ecu: 1) race fuel at $10-$30/gallon, or 2) methanol injection, 3) ~30% Toluene+MMO ...or be 4) be happy with about 350rwhp max. With an aftermarket ecu you can squeeze a bit more out by playing with the timing curve (be careful!).

* Caveat/disclaimer: There always is one, isn't there? It is possible (but not practical) to get more rwhp on pump gas with a huge turbo. The problems are that 1) the big turbo won't spool till about 6k rpms, and 2) you'll still need to limit boost to about 16psi. Since huge turbos are designed to be efficient at 35psi+, you get the worst of both worlds - terrible turbo lag together with running a huge turbo far below it's ideal boost level. This is such a goofy corner-case that it's barely worth mentioning...I only included it here for completeness of response.
ok, so it is simple to get the 500hp out of the 2jzgte, but how much can i squeeze out of it without running the alcohol injection? i know i would need to keep it under 16psi before having to run special feul.. so with maybe98? octane pump feul, how much power can i get?

also i just want some pointers on difference between hp, and rwhp. i know that rwhp stands for rear-wheel-horse-power, but i just want to know the main differences. thanks.
deigima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #25
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deigima View Post
ok, so it is simple to get the 500hp out of the 2jzgte, but how much can i squeeze out of it without running the alcohol injection? i know i would need to keep it under 16psi before having to run special feul.. so with maybe98? octane pump feul, how much power can i get?

also i just want some pointers on difference between hp, and rwhp. i know that rwhp stands for rear-wheel-horse-power, but i just want to know the main differences. thanks.
1) What is the MOTOR octane of that "98 octane pump fuel"? This is critical - we need to find this out or I can't tell you how much boost you can run with it. Most likely that 98 is RESEARCH octane, not MOTOR octane.
2) If you don't like alcohol injection, what about water injection?

rwhp is your horsepower at the rear tires. most times when simple "hp" (horsepower) is referred to - like in new car ads - they're talking about horsepower at the crankshaft - before any drive line loss. Also, automatic transmissions have a larger driveline loss than standard transmissions. For a standard transmission, the loss is about 15%. For an auto, it depends on a lot of things, like the stall of the torque converter...but that's usually about 20% total drive line loss and it can be up to 30% loss.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #26
deigima
Stock

thanks for clarifying that for me about rwhp. ive read about power loss from using a auto, but wasnt sure of figures. as for the question about hp, answer it on the thread that i made for asking the question.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #27
iNs0mN1a
Stock

iNs0mN1a is on a distinguished road

pwpanas, i've sent you a p.m but it doesn't show in "sent" folder, why is that? Did you get anything from me?
iNs0mN1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #28
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNs0mN1a View Post
pwpanas, i've sent you a p.m but it doesn't show in "sent" folder, why is that? Did you get anything from me?
I got your PMs.