View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
iNs0mN1a
Stock

iNs0mN1a is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Omg, please don't use windshield washer fluid! It contains soap - something you definitely don't want running through your alcohol injection pump. Also, (in case you were wondering) don't ask about the pints of octane booster off-the-shelf in auto parts stores because they don't work either - if you read the label carefully, it talks about raising the octane by "points". When you see "raise octane by one point" think 93->93.1, NOT 93->94.

The alcohol injection only sprays when you're boosting. If you drive your car like a granny, your alcohol supply will last forever.

Again, don't mix the alcohol into your gasoline. Here are your (proven) choices:
  1. Run enough a high enough octane of race fuel to match your boost level. Note you can mix high octane race fuel with pump gas for mid-level horsepower needs.
    This is by far the most popular choice for high horsepower Mkivs. Every Mkiv owner I know that runs pure race fuel 100% of the time (and doesn't formally compete with it in serious drag racing) has never blown their engine.
  2. Invest in an alcohol injection kit (again, alcohol is easy to find!). Don't plan on more than about 650rwhp (6spd) with this option, since the pump flow and nozzle sizes are limited.
  3. Run E85 (this choice is growing in popularity, as more and more gas stations are offering this fuel). It's a very good option since E85 is much less expensive than race fuel (its not much more, mile-for-mile, than pump gas). On the downside, your full tank of fuel gets you half as far.
  4. Run 93 octane fuel and never boost more than 16psi
    (this choice is your easiest one, of course).
  5. You actually can mix a few gallons of pure Toluene into your 93 octane pump gas for a small octane boost.
  6. Propane injection will probably work too, although I don't have personal experience using it in an Mkiv Supra.
All other roads lead to melted pistons. Don't say you weren't warned. Lots of other folks will tell you this and that and whatever is okay. If you follow my advice, and the components are expertly installed, well maintained, and regularly tested, you'll never need to buy a new shortblock. If anyone offers you less conservative advice, I advise you to ask them if they'll pay for your new shortblock if it doesn't work!
Firstly,thank you for taking you're time to respond in such a manner
Secondly,I don't plan to take my supra higher than 700 hp(~600 rwhp).What would you recommand for this? w/m inj kit or alcohol inj kit ?
The windshield washer fluid is supposed to have ~60% water / 40% methanol...

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-30-2011 at 11:47 AM.
iNs0mN1a is offline   Reply With Quote