Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
D_DAWG84
Stock

D_DAWG84 is on a distinguished road
Default Dpoing a swap on my mint na-5 sp

hi there finally gonna get started on my build doing a gte swap on my 93 jdm supra... Ive been reasearching this since 2008 thought about na-t no way im going that route doing a tt swap is better since the gte engine is already designed for boost and the na will pop unless u spend alot... I keep hearing new thing the ge lacks brakes tranny suspention I still dont care tho I know the body on my car is mint might cost me more in the long run but thats ok... Im am doing the six speed manual swap and a few thing im still not sure about is the rear diff and axell>>??? is gonna be weak with a modded tt 2jz gte?? what do i need to make it strong and how much$$??? Another thing I just found out today the abs braking system is different How is that so im too far into buying stuff for the build no backing down now im doing it... What can be done or can i keep it like it is?? im looking to eventually get 500 or more bhp and keep going up with upgrades till its a monster on the street and track.. If anyone can give me tips i have lots of time not in a rush wanna do this properly its gonna be costly but it will be fun and a great way to learn the car!!!! Thanks!!!!
D_DAWG84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

The 2jz is build strong I think the ge is build close to if not the same but with higher compression pistons as the tt 2jz the ge would take boost good I think as for the other thingS u can swap over I think the tt breaks and suspention
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_DAWG84 View Post
hi there finally gonna get started on my build doing a gte swap on my 93 jdm supra... Ive been reasearching this since 2008 thought about na-t no way im going that route doing a tt swap is better since the gte engine is already designed for boost and the na will pop unless u spend alot... I keep hearing new thing the ge lacks brakes tranny suspention I still dont care tho I know the body on my car is mint might cost me more in the long run but thats ok... Im am doing the six speed manual swap and a few thing im still not sure about is the rear diff and axell>>??? is gonna be weak with a modded tt 2jz gte?? what do i need to make it strong and how much$$??? Another thing I just found out today the abs braking system is different How is that so im too far into buying stuff for the build no backing down now im doing it... What can be done or can i keep it like it is?? im looking to eventually get 500 or more bhp and keep going up with upgrades till its a monster on the street and track.. If anyone can give me tips i have lots of time not in a rush wanna do this properly its gonna be costly but it will be fun and a great way to learn the car!!!! Thanks!!!!
The n/a engine won't "pop unless you spend alot", unless you mean spedning a lot on race fuel. Really, the only thing better/stronger in the TT block is the internal cooling system, as the 2jz-gte block has oil squirters that squirt oil on the bottoms of the pistons. The 2jz-ge block will take boost fine, but you will need to run a much higher octane for a given boost level, because of those higher compression pistons. Since many don't find that very economical, I agree with your choice to start with a 2jz-gte. What I don't agree with is your choice to start with an n/a chassis. Everyone that has priced it out, and really wants to end up with a car that performs like full TT (or better) in all ways agrees that it's cheaper to sell your n/a and save up for the TT you really want. Just mho (along with a LOT of anecdotal evidence and pricing).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-31-2011 at 01:41 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyps307 View Post
The 2jz is build strong I think the ge is build close to if not the same but with higher compression pistons as the tt 2jz the ge would take boost good I think as for the other thingS u can swap over I think the tt breaks and suspention
Please use punctuation (periods, commas, capitalization, etc.). I don't really understand what you're trying to say. I doubt anyone else can either.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
D_DAWG84
Stock

D_DAWG84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
The n/a engine won't "pop unless you spend alot", unless you mean spedning a lot on race fuel. Really, the only thing better/stronger in the TT block is the internal cooling system, as the 2jz-gte block has oil squirters that squirt oil on the bottoms of the pistons. The 2jz-ge block will take boost fine, but you will need to run a much higher octane for a given boost level, because of those higher compression pistons. Since many don't find that very economical, I agree with your choice to start with a 2jz-gte. What I don't agree with is your choice to start with an n/a chassis. Everyone that has priced it out, and really wants to end up with a car that performs like full TT (or better) in all ways agrees that it's cheaper to sell your n/a and save up for the TT you really want. Just mho (along with a LOT of anecdotal evidence and pricing).
I know what your saying I wish I had the gte platform to start with I almost had one last summer.It was nice had 175.000k on it though it was not taken care of verry well.. I know this tt swap is gonna be way more money to complete but I have a good job and slowly geting the parts as I can find them is my plan... The big chunk is the six speed with the gte engine about 5-6 k on ebay...Braking system isnt gonna be cheap either havnt even started looking into that yet oh well I love the supra makes me feel good just taking it out owned many cars in the last 10 years...The integra, 300zx ,crx and a talon the supra is by far the best looking import in its age (my opinion) Thanks for the advise I know im gonna have more questions and foresure problems coming my way once the ge engine has been pulled another 15k or more to get what I want its not much cosidering all the money I spent on nothing since I started working at least I will have a fast ass car that will beat my old mans 66 396 chevelle and pontiac g8 I will be a happy camper cuz right now he would destroy me with either of those cars lol.....
D_DAWG84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_DAWG84 View Post
I know what your saying I wish I had the gte platform to start with I almost had one last summer.It was nice had 175.000k on it though it was not taken care of verry well.. I know this tt swap is gonna be way more money to complete but I have a good job and slowly geting the parts as I can find them is my plan... The big chunk is the six speed with the gte engine about 5-6 k on ebay...Braking system isnt gonna be cheap either havnt even started looking into that yet oh well I love the supra makes me feel good just taking it out owned many cars in the last 10 years...The integra, 300zx ,crx and a talon the supra is by far the best looking import in its age (my opinion) Thanks for the advise I know im gonna have more questions and foresure problems coming my way once the ge engine has been pulled another 15k or more to get what I want its not much cosidering all the money I spent on nothing since I started working at least I will have a fast ass car that will beat my old mans 66 396 chevelle and pontiac g8 I will be a happy camper cuz right now he would destroy me with either of those cars lol.....
Sounds like you have the right perspective - it may not be the most economical way to go, but if you're committed to changing all the systems to end up with a full TT, my hat's off to you. It'll be great having another TT instead of an n/a. To me, Toyota should never have built the n/a - the more of them get rid of by fully upgrading, the better.

That said, you asked if the n/a diff would do the job. The answer is: it depends. If all you want is the oem "320hp", then yes, it'll probably work. However, ...after the engine, tranny and braking system swap, suspension, etc... if you want to go to a large single turbo then you'll very likely break the n/a diff. You can do one of two things: Wait till it breaks, and then replace it...or replace it up front. Note that the n/a diff requires a driveshaft of a different length than the TT diff, so you may have to play 'musical driveshafts' while you try different tranny+diff combinations.

Good luck with the project, and please stay in touch.