Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/)
-   -   Dpoing a swap on my mint na-5 sp (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/18560-dpoing-a-swap-on-my-mint-na-5-sp.html)

D_DAWG84 01-30-2011 06:51 AM

Dpoing a swap on my mint na-5 sp

hi there finally gonna get started on my build doing a gte swap on my 93 jdm supra... Ive been reasearching this since 2008 thought about na-t no way im going that route doing a tt swap is better since the gte engine is already designed for boost and the na will pop unless u spend alot... I keep hearing new thing the ge lacks brakes tranny suspention I still dont care tho I know the body on my car is mint might cost me more in the long run but thats ok... Im am doing the six speed manual swap and a few thing im still not sure about is the rear diff and axell>>??? is gonna be weak with a modded tt 2jz gte?? what do i need to make it strong and how much$$??? Another thing I just found out today the abs braking system is different :( How is that so im too far into buying stuff for the build no backing down now im doing it... What can be done or can i keep it like it is?? im looking to eventually get 500 or more bhp and keep going up with upgrades till its a monster on the street and track.. If anyone can give me tips i have lots of time not in a rush wanna do this properly its gonna be costly but it will be fun and a great way to learn the car!!!! Thanks!!!!

Sonyps307 01-30-2011 08:31 AM

The 2jz is build strong I think the ge is build close to if not the same but with higher compression pistons as the tt 2jz the ge would take boost good I think as for the other thingS u can swap over I think the tt breaks and suspention

pwpanas 01-31-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D_DAWG84 (Post 91939)
hi there finally gonna get started on my build doing a gte swap on my 93 jdm supra... Ive been reasearching this since 2008 thought about na-t no way im going that route doing a tt swap is better since the gte engine is already designed for boost and the na will pop unless u spend alot... I keep hearing new thing the ge lacks brakes tranny suspention I still dont care tho I know the body on my car is mint might cost me more in the long run but thats ok... Im am doing the six speed manual swap and a few thing im still not sure about is the rear diff and axell>>??? is gonna be weak with a modded tt 2jz gte?? what do i need to make it strong and how much$$??? Another thing I just found out today the abs braking system is different :( How is that so im too far into buying stuff for the build no backing down now im doing it... What can be done or can i keep it like it is?? im looking to eventually get 500 or more bhp and keep going up with upgrades till its a monster on the street and track.. If anyone can give me tips i have lots of time not in a rush wanna do this properly its gonna be costly but it will be fun and a great way to learn the car!!!! Thanks!!!!

The n/a engine won't "pop unless you spend alot", unless you mean spedning a lot on race fuel. Really, the only thing better/stronger in the TT block is the internal cooling system, as the 2jz-gte block has oil squirters that squirt oil on the bottoms of the pistons. The 2jz-ge block will take boost fine, but you will need to run a much higher octane for a given boost level, because of those higher compression pistons. Since many don't find that very economical, I agree with your choice to start with a 2jz-gte. What I don't agree with is your choice to start with an n/a chassis. Everyone that has priced it out, and really wants to end up with a car that performs like full TT (or better) in all ways agrees that it's cheaper to sell your n/a and save up for the TT you really want. Just mho (along with a LOT of anecdotal evidence and pricing).

pwpanas 01-31-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonyps307 (Post 91944)
The 2jz is build strong I think the ge is build close to if not the same but with higher compression pistons as the tt 2jz the ge would take boost good I think as for the other thingS u can swap over I think the tt breaks and suspention

Please use punctuation (periods, commas, capitalization, etc.). I don't really understand what you're trying to say. I doubt anyone else can either.

D_DAWG84 01-31-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 91963)
The n/a engine won't "pop unless you spend alot", unless you mean spedning a lot on race fuel. Really, the only thing better/stronger in the TT block is the internal cooling system, as the 2jz-gte block has oil squirters that squirt oil on the bottoms of the pistons. The 2jz-ge block will take boost fine, but you will need to run a much higher octane for a given boost level, because of those higher compression pistons. Since many don't find that very economical, I agree with your choice to start with a 2jz-gte. What I don't agree with is your choice to start with an n/a chassis. Everyone that has priced it out, and really wants to end up with a car that performs like full TT (or better) in all ways agrees that it's cheaper to sell your n/a and save up for the TT you really want. Just mho (along with a LOT of anecdotal evidence and pricing).

I know what your saying I wish I had the gte platform to start with I almost had one last summer.It was nice had 175.000k on it though it was not taken care of verry well.. I know this tt swap is gonna be way more money to complete but I have a good job and slowly geting the parts as I can find them is my plan... The big chunk is the six speed with the gte engine about 5-6 k on ebay...Braking system isnt gonna be cheap either havnt even started looking into that yet oh well I love the supra makes me feel good just taking it out owned many cars in the last 10 years...The integra, 300zx ,crx and a talon the supra is by far the best looking import in its age (my opinion) Thanks for the advise I know im gonna have more questions and foresure problems coming my way once the ge engine has been pulled another 15k or more to get what I want its not much cosidering all the money I spent on nothing since I started working at least I will have a fast ass car that will beat my old mans 66 396 chevelle and pontiac g8 I will be a happy camper cuz right now he would destroy me with either of those cars lol.....

pwpanas 02-01-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D_DAWG84 (Post 91979)
I know what your saying I wish I had the gte platform to start with I almost had one last summer.It was nice had 175.000k on it though it was not taken care of verry well.. I know this tt swap is gonna be way more money to complete but I have a good job and slowly geting the parts as I can find them is my plan... The big chunk is the six speed with the gte engine about 5-6 k on ebay...Braking system isnt gonna be cheap either havnt even started looking into that yet oh well I love the supra makes me feel good just taking it out owned many cars in the last 10 years...The integra, 300zx ,crx and a talon the supra is by far the best looking import in its age (my opinion) Thanks for the advise I know im gonna have more questions and foresure problems coming my way once the ge engine has been pulled another 15k or more to get what I want its not much cosidering all the money I spent on nothing since I started working at least I will have a fast ass car that will beat my old mans 66 396 chevelle and pontiac g8 I will be a happy camper cuz right now he would destroy me with either of those cars lol.....

Sounds like you have the right perspective - it may not be the most economical way to go, but if you're committed to changing all the systems to end up with a full TT, my hat's off to you. It'll be great having another TT instead of an n/a. To me, Toyota should never have built the n/a - the more of them get rid of by fully upgrading, the better.

That said, you asked if the n/a diff would do the job. The answer is: it depends. If all you want is the oem "320hp", then yes, it'll probably work. However, ...after the engine, tranny and braking system swap, suspension, etc... if you want to go to a large single turbo then you'll very likely break the n/a diff. You can do one of two things: Wait till it breaks, and then replace it...or replace it up front. Note that the n/a diff requires a driveshaft of a different length than the TT diff, so you may have to play 'musical driveshafts' while you try different tranny+diff combinations.

Good luck with the project, and please stay in touch.