Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
Anthonyhuynh3
Stock

Anthonyhuynh3 is on a distinguished road
Default Enggine swap cost

HELLO
I GOT 96 SUPRA N/A , I JUST WONDER IF I WANT SWAP TO 2ZJ-GTE AND
R1-54 TRAN , WITH SINGLE TURBO (AFTER MARKET), HOW MUCH DOES IT COST.
IF SOME 1 ALREADY DONE THIS BEFORE , CAN YOU GUY GIVE ME A LIST WHAT I NEED TO BUY AND WHAT I NEED TO BE DONE SO I BE READY FOR THE MONEY .
THANK SO MUCH
SORRY MY ENGLISH IS NOT SO WELL

IF THIS POST EVER DONE BEFORE SORRY I CANT FIND IT
THANK ALL ADMIN

Last edited by Anthonyhuynh3; 11-20-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Anthonyhuynh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyhuynh3 View Post
HELLO
I GOT 96 SUPRA N/A , I JUST WONDER IF I WANT SWAP TO 2ZJ-GTE AND
R1-54 TRAN , WITH SINGLE TURBO (AFTER MARKET), HOW MUCH DOES IT COST.
IF SOME 1 ALREADY DONE THIS BEFORE , CAN YOU GUY GIVE ME A LIST WHAT I NEED TO BUY AND WHAT I NEED TO BE DONE SO I BE READY FOR THE MONEY .
THANK SO MUCH
SORRY MY ENGLISH IS NOT SO WELL

IF THIS POST EVER DONE BEFORE SORRY I CANT FIND IT
THANK ALL ADMIN
1) What is your horsepower goal
2) What is your application
3) Why have you selected the R1-54 Tran?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Anthonyhuynh3
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
1) What is your horsepower goal
2) What is your application
3) Why have you selected the R1-54 Tran?
just want around 400-500 hpw
and r154 better than r158 i have in my GE now , cuz v160 way to much and rare to find good use 1.
thank for respond
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
just want around 400-500 hpw
and r154 better than r158 i have in my GE now , cuz v160 way to much and rare to find good use 1.
thank for respond
You can't have "400-500 hpw" max. You can only have one or the other, or something specific in between, or some other specific number (not a range of numbers). You have to narrow this range down to a single number before anyone can help you to any degree of accuracy.

Is an r154 a 5-speed? ...from an MKIII? Unfortunately, I won't be able to help at all with this. I don't know much about MKIII's, or swapping MKIII parts into an MKIII. Hopefully one or more of the other forum members can help with this.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-22-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
Anthonyhuynh3
Stock

Quote:
You can't have "400-500 hpw" max. You can only have one or the other, or something specific in between, or some other specific number (not a range of numbers). You have to narrow this range down to a single number before anyone can help you to any degree of accuracy.

Is an r154 a 5-speed? ...from an MKIII? Unfortunately, I won't be able to help at all with this. I don't know much about MKIII's, or swapping MKIII parts into an MKIII. Hopefully one or more of the other forum members can help with this.
thank but to swap a GTE how much does it cost ?
Old 11-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
thank but to swap a GTE how much does it cost ?
Will you do the work yourself? Parts will probably cost $4000 or more. You need the engine, complete harness, ecu, ignitor, resistor pack, downpipe, and other items I'm not aware of. Labor for someone else to do the work will be about $1K I'd guess.

Be sure to get a leakdown & compression test on the engine before you buy it. Also be sure you have someone evaluate the leakdown & compression numbers who understands compression and leakdown tests, and is very familiar with both brand-new and used 2jz-gte engines.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Anthonyhuynh3
Stock

Quote:
Will you do the work yourself? Parts will probably cost $4000 or more. You need the engine, complete harness, ecu, ignitor, resistor pack, downpipe, and other items I'm not aware of. Labor for someone else to do the work will be about $1K I'd guess.

Be sure to get a leakdown & compression test on the engine before you buy it. Also be sure you have someone evaluate the leakdown & compression numbers who understands compression and leakdown tests, and is very familiar with both brand-new and used 2jz-gte engines.
thank for your tip , i will try find some 1 near me can run the test on the engine before i buy it.
if some 1 here ever done a swap gte-and r154 please give me some more hint thank
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
if some 1 here ever done a swap gte-and r154 please give me some more hint thank
Don't try it without the TSRM.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

turbonicsperformance is on a distinguished road

i know it sounds sketchy but search ebay ... 2jzgte with 6 speed and harness ecu fuel pump etc it just under 3500 shipped to your door with less than 50k on it just my .02 this woud be the most straight forward swap and probably the cheapest or you could always just turbo your car as is the 2j is a good engine and the n/a block is almost if not just as good as the turbo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...Q5fAccessories
ive bought from them before and was happy with it you can get one with a 6 speed for anothe 2k
92 miata 7mgte swap forged pistons,studded mhg, 3 inch dp with a glass pack,blowthrough MAF-T,550cc inj, act stage 2 clutch, fmic kit, greddy rs, full wire tuck, rx7 lsd rear with 4.10s. 15psi "ct26-A"??(waiting on dyno #s) if anyone knows whats up with my turbo let me know it has a larger comp wheel nicer machining and 6 dual fins rather than 5? its confusing and keep finding too much contradicting info. would LLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE a compressor map
turbonicsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
Anthonyhuynh3
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonicsperformance View Post
i know it sounds sketchy but search ebay ... 2jzgte with 6 speed and harness ecu fuel pump etc it just under 3500 shipped to your door with less than 50k on it just my .02 this woud be the most straight forward swap and probably the cheapest or you could always just turbo your car as is the 2j is a good engine and the n/a block is almost if not just as good as the turbo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...Q5fAccessories
ive bought from them before and was happy with it you can get one with a 6 speed for anothe 2k
thank i will look and think wich is best for my pocket ^^