Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
zby67
3" Exhaust

zby67 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy acceleration issues and exhaust leaking

ok first thing is first i would like to thank everyone on this forum for the help though the times iv used this site as research.

hello my name is mike iv owned my supra for 6 yrs now she is my first car and since the first time iv herd her growl i fell in love with the MKIII line lol.

i would like to thank MRnickleye for the tip on fixing the crimped washer on the drive shaft that helped alot and kudos. i originally thought that the noise was the alternator baring going so i got a new one warranted and still the problem went on the shop said it was the timing tensioner but even the shop was wrong and once i got the timing cover off it was that washer and thanks to nickleye its now fixed till i can get a new one.

ok to the problem at hand.

i have no acceleration it feels like im pressing on the brakes and gas at the same time. when we took the timing cover off we also took the radiator off. i blocked both trans lines with bolts so they didnt leak well we were fixing the drive shaft. once we had everything back together we left the radiator off. started her up to see if everything was good. didnt let her run because didnt want her to over heat with everything off and no belts on. everything is back together now and i have bad acceleration. all lines are in there right places and everything in its place. my dad said to check the trans fluid so i did and she was low. i added new trans well she was at idle temp and ran her though all gears 3 times. checked the trans level was ware it was suppose to be so i drove her afew miles to my grandmas house and everything was fine she accelerated nicely no hickups nothing. got to my grandmas house and she was smoking figured it was from the engine burning off coulen't witch was spilled when i went to check the radiator lvl. then i checked the trans fluid lvl and its saying its over filled something that made no sense. so was at her house for a good hr and a half. drove the supra home and i had poor acceleration yet again. when i got home i noticed she was smoking again so i went looking for the source and found out that the exhaust is leaking.

like i said iv been doing research on all this and came up with it being eather the exhaust witch is something my dad says it isnt or its theshift solenoids.

background of the supra
the model of the supra is a MA70 1986.5 supra n/a automatic.
when i got her she didnt run and me and my dad spent a yr bringing her back to life. when i got her there were wires cut under the dash water ware the spare tier sits and a relay running to the starter and to the ignition.
everything is fixed now wires under the dash no more relay and starter is back ware it belongs. i dont get any water in the back of the car sep when im driving in rain but that has been fixed with fiberglass and rubber under coating.

the other problem im having is she dosnt like to start after short distance trips say my house to get gas she will die at the pump. the mechanic i took her to told me that the ignition switch and starter relay were high resistance. and was wondering if anyone knew what the resistance was suppose to be at. also iv replaced all the brackes and brack clips and everything only to find out that all 4 calipers are seazed in place and only move up and down being as the rod from the housing is louse and was wondering if there is an easy fix or do i need new calipers and there housings?

i would be going to the threads that sound the same to my problem and posting all this but there older posts and figured no one would be on them.

any help would me great!
Mike

Last edited by zby67; 08-18-2010 at 04:35 AM.
zby67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road

Cre?? Someone!! ANYONE!! Help this guy.. He just wrote a book and the subject he used made me dizzy..

The only thing I could say to help you out friend is either find a mechanic who knows what the hell they are doing or go to a tuner shop.. They usually know what they are doing and can look up things in a snap ::SNAPS FINGERS::! I have been into PRE here in Portland and seen them swarmed with customer asking all kinds of questions. Jason simply looks it anything that's specific like and gives the correct figures.. Amazing I tell you..
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
zby67
3" Exhaust

Unhappy many thanks, acceleration issues and exhaust smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Saiyan View Post
Cre?? Someone!! ANYONE!! Help this guy.. He just wrote a book and the subject he used made me dizzy..

The only thing I could say to help you out friend is either find a mechanic who knows what the hell they are doing or go to a tuner shop.. They usually know what they are doing and can look up things in a snap ::SNAPS FINGERS::! I have been into PRE here in Portland and seen them swarmed with customer asking all kinds of questions. Jason simply looks it anything that's specific like and gives the correct figures.. Amazing I tell you..
well seeing as i live in the middle of no ware and about 2 hrs away from chicago there isnt anyone around here i would even think or trust to take my car to. the guy who i allowed to work on the wiring under the dash i only allowed to do that cause his son use to own a supra and helped me get the car running when she died at the pump but with being tight on cash and this being the way it is i wouldn't trust him with this work. plus fixing the wires under the dash costed me 400 there.... this is my first car and im protective lol

Last edited by zby67; 08-18-2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: required change
Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by zby67 View Post
well seeing as i live in the middle of no ware and about 2 hrs away from chicago there isnt anyone around here i would even think or trust to take my car to. the guy who i allowed to work on the wiring under the dash i only allowed to do that cause his son use to own a supra and helped me get the car running when she died at the pump but with being tight on cash and this being the way it is i wouldn't trust him with this work. plus fixing the wires under the dash costed me 400 there.... this is my first car and im protective lol
Oh, your first car.. Shhoot~! No worries. The folks here know quite a bit.. When they notice your post they will most likely reply with some info. It may take a while to help you get it narrowed down but with enough time and research you will be back in your Supra with all the power at your feet!

To help you out. I would put a little detail in your title so when the others see your post they actually want to click on the link to help. It's becoming less and less that these types of post actually get help.. So, click on edit and advanced.. Then change your title.. Then you will get help..

Read this if you want help for description Please use descriptive titles
Old 08-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #5
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Oh, your first car.. Shhoot~! No worries. The folks here know quite a bit.. When they notice your post they will most likely reply with some info. It may take a while to help you get it narrowed down but with enough time and research you will be back in your Supra with all the power at your feet!

To help you out. I would put a little detail in your title so when the others see your post they actually want to click on the link to help. It's becoming less and less that these types of post actually get help.. So, click on edit and advanced.. Then change your title.. Then you will get help..

Read this if you want help for description Please use descriptive titles
thank you for the advice. i changed the title and will keep what you said in mind. the only thing that really concerns me is that i work tomorrow and have no other car and with the exhaust smoking and acceleration issues if its safe to driver her with out something f-----g up. i have no other car to use.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
thank you for the advice. i changed the title and will keep what you said in mind. the only thing that really concerns me is that i work tomorrow and have no other car and with the exhaust smoking and acceleration issues if its safe to driver her with out something f-----g up. i have no other car to use.
To simplify so your spewing out smoke and spuddering really bad right?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
To simplify so your spewing out smoke and spuddering really bad right?
yes near the exhaust manifold on the down pipe. my guess since the plating around it is rusted it and rattles when i drive it put a hole in it. ill snag my sister camera and upload pics tomorrow before i leave for work
Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
yes near the exhaust manifold on the down pipe. my guess since the plating around it is rusted it and rattles when i drive it put a hole in it. ill snag my sister camera and upload pics tomorrow before i leave for work
Well on my 88 n/a I had to replace the rings (Seals) that go from the manidfold down to the pipe below. They where a disaster. I got them back and they where like onions! Smoke was coming threw there. BTW my car.. It was a BHG.. You may want to start thinking that one. I mean.. If so.. There is a small fix that works for a VERY SHORT TIME! You CANNOT drive your car hard at all either with this method... I found this out the hard way and had to do it a second time..
Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Well on my 88 n/a I had to replace the rings (Seals) that go from the manidfold down to the pipe below. They where a disaster. I got them back and they where like onions! Smoke was coming threw there. BTW my car.. It was a BHG.. You may want to start thinking that one. I mean.. If so.. There is a small fix that works for a VERY SHORT TIME! You CANNOT drive your car hard at all either with this method... I found this out the hard way and had to do it a second time..
i had my grandfather and my dad look at her and both said the HG was fine. i haf a BHG run though my head many of times. i was thinking about getting a new exhaust pipe from autozone for 105. but my dad said the leak from the exhaust was the problem. so he keeps going back to its the trans that the problem. also duly noted on not driving her hard the only time i do is usually on the highway i go 80.

Last edited by zby67; 08-18-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
i had my grandfather and my dad look at her and both said the HG was fine. i haf a BHG run though my head many of times. i was thinking about getting a new exhaust pipe from autozone for 105. but my dad said the leak from the exhaust was the problem. so he keeps going back to its the trans that the problem.
I didn't think the transmission could cause smoke to come out your tail pipe.. But honestly, I'm always learning. I never ran into that or seen that type of problem (noob me i guess). Regardless.. If you think its a pipe don't you think you could just seal it with some sealer. I have done that one before. Sealer for exhaust pipes.. Err, though if it's to high up on the pipe the pressure will be to great and poof.. Back to square 1.