View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
zby67
3" Exhaust

zby67 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy acceleration issues and exhaust leaking

ok first thing is first i would like to thank everyone on this forum for the help though the times iv used this site as research.

hello my name is mike iv owned my supra for 6 yrs now she is my first car and since the first time iv herd her growl i fell in love with the MKIII line lol.

i would like to thank MRnickleye for the tip on fixing the crimped washer on the drive shaft that helped alot and kudos. i originally thought that the noise was the alternator baring going so i got a new one warranted and still the problem went on the shop said it was the timing tensioner but even the shop was wrong and once i got the timing cover off it was that washer and thanks to nickleye its now fixed till i can get a new one.

ok to the problem at hand.

i have no acceleration it feels like im pressing on the brakes and gas at the same time. when we took the timing cover off we also took the radiator off. i blocked both trans lines with bolts so they didnt leak well we were fixing the drive shaft. once we had everything back together we left the radiator off. started her up to see if everything was good. didnt let her run because didnt want her to over heat with everything off and no belts on. everything is back together now and i have bad acceleration. all lines are in there right places and everything in its place. my dad said to check the trans fluid so i did and she was low. i added new trans well she was at idle temp and ran her though all gears 3 times. checked the trans level was ware it was suppose to be so i drove her afew miles to my grandmas house and everything was fine she accelerated nicely no hickups nothing. got to my grandmas house and she was smoking figured it was from the engine burning off coulen't witch was spilled when i went to check the radiator lvl. then i checked the trans fluid lvl and its saying its over filled something that made no sense. so was at her house for a good hr and a half. drove the supra home and i had poor acceleration yet again. when i got home i noticed she was smoking again so i went looking for the source and found out that the exhaust is leaking.

like i said iv been doing research on all this and came up with it being eather the exhaust witch is something my dad says it isnt or its theshift solenoids.

background of the supra
the model of the supra is a MA70 1986.5 supra n/a automatic.
when i got her she didnt run and me and my dad spent a yr bringing her back to life. when i got her there were wires cut under the dash water ware the spare tier sits and a relay running to the starter and to the ignition.
everything is fixed now wires under the dash no more relay and starter is back ware it belongs. i dont get any water in the back of the car sep when im driving in rain but that has been fixed with fiberglass and rubber under coating.

the other problem im having is she dosnt like to start after short distance trips say my house to get gas she will die at the pump. the mechanic i took her to told me that the ignition switch and starter relay were high resistance. and was wondering if anyone knew what the resistance was suppose to be at. also iv replaced all the brackes and brack clips and everything only to find out that all 4 calipers are seazed in place and only move up and down being as the rod from the housing is louse and was wondering if there is an easy fix or do i need new calipers and there housings?

i would be going to the threads that sound the same to my problem and posting all this but there older posts and figured no one would be on them.

any help would me great!
Mike

Last edited by zby67; 08-18-2010 at 04:35 AM.
zby67 is offline   Reply With Quote