Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road
Talking 7mgte swap vs 1jz swap

Just a simple thought. My goal is 350hp. I have a 7m N/A engine right now. I can get a 7mgte for $2100 with the man. transmission and all the wiring etc. I also have the choice for a 1jz twin turbo with man. transmission and all the wiring etc. for $2000.

Obviously it would take less mods if I went with the 1jz. However would I still be able to keep the air conditioning? Among any other things that one might like to keep his/her car a daily driver.

Also, I would like to know about how much if any mods are needed for the 1jz swap. I know there are some mods but if someone could throw some type of "MEASUREMENTS" in time or (easy,medium,hard) level of mods. I will be having it professionally done so I am not to worried but am wondering if the money it would take to do 1jz swap including the engine and man tran price will come out to be equal to or better than doing a 7mgte swap and then modding it.

I mean doing the 1jz swap puts me right into 280hp. That's not a far cry from 350hp. I could do the normal mods after that such as exhaust system, intake, etc.. Thus saving me some money due to less over all mods.

Yes I understand parts for the motor are harder to get or more expensive.

Someone help me out here with my logic... Please try not to ref. me to another thread unless it has a simple direct answer to my question.
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
boosted88mkIII
Stock

boosted88mkIII is on a distinguished road

i have a 7mgte as of now and to be honest its not a power house im looking into a 1jz swap motor is more reliable and easier to mod may have a little more money involved but from stuff i have read building a 7mgte is more less building a bomb
boosted88mkIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

boosted88mkIII - You haven't even done a swap yet... Come on... get down off the soap box.

Supra Saiyan - There are plenty of benefits and pitfalls to both scenarios. If 350 is your goal I'd stick with the 7M-GTE, source one cheap (NOT JDM) and rebuild it just up to stock specs with a MHG and perhaps forged pistons for longevity. Then proceed as usual. It's going to cost MUCH less and your W58 transmission should be bale to hold up for a few years too unless your drag racing (it's lighter and shifts better than the R154). Do NOT buy ANY used engine from any where and expect to just run it free of trouble. Yes, the 1JZ is more reliable, but the 7M's manage to make it over fifteen to twenty years in many cases before the head gasket blew even at the low torque spec... It's not a crap engine... It's a decent engine with shit DIY garage mechanics working on them. The JZs are easier to get more power out of but if you're looking for around 350 it's not worth the effort in my opinion. In both cases you should do a rebuild, then you've got to swap in electronics (the 7M-GTE's just happen to actually FIT), then you need to make some upgrades and then some tuning.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

is it even possible to find a non jdm 1jz? im ready for a rebuild and been toying with the idea for a few years now.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
is it even possible to find a non jdm 1jz? im ready for a rebuild and been toying with the idea for a few years now.
You're not going to find one from anywhere in North, Central or South America... I know they're more common in some other countries but those could all be grey market vehicles initially brought in from Japan as well.... Either way the point still stands: Used = Used. But JDM often = used AND sitting in a rainy, open lot or shipping dock for god know how long. Never drop anything straight in...
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

Awyman18 is on a distinguished road

personally i would stick with the 7m, cheaper, find parts easier and its a all around good engine. yes the 1jz can make power easier, but like cre said, ur gonna need to rebuild it, and u might not even find the right part unless u fork out lots of $$. With the 7m, u can easily reach 350whp. Its not to hard, and if u rebuild it, parts will be cheaper and easier to find. Stupid mechanics just dont know how to work on 7m's, once u find one who does (or u learn urself) than ur golden.
Awyman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

It's not just stupid mechanics... It's the ignorant young guys who don't stop to think that a head, block deck and crank THAT long need to be PERFECT. Who don't realize that that light pitting is a killer. Who flat out fail to consider that it's an OLD engine. Hell they don't even have hypereutectic alloy pistons... many builders expect that as the most basic engine at least have that (the 1JZ does). Then there are the cheap owners who THINK they bought a cool car that was a complete bargain. Age isn't a friend of any of these engines nor is the fact that for a decade now they've been so affordable and over-glorified that 90% have been bought up and trashed by stupid little kids. Stupid little kiddies will trash just about anything but these are a favorite because they're often cheaper to find (not keep running or repair though) and it's not the same Honda that all of their friends are driving around and trashing. Finally, there's the fact that the car itself just wasn't that robust. It was Toyota's car for the weekend driver and a showcase for the latest and greatest technology... unfortunately half of the materials they used were later found to age horribly... of course this goes for many 80's cars from many manufacturers.

Shall I continue ranting? It's been about 15 minutes since I've had a good venting.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

well some of wat ur saying cre is right but alot of it isnt lol but rant if u want, idc lol im only 22, bought my supra and fixed it up, replaced the hg with a friend and havnt had to touch it since. But then again, my supra is almost mint so maybe i got lucky, or maybe its because i take care of it so well lol but yes they MAY be cheaper....but thats if u can find one.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Joefishizzle is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to add, not that I like my 7m, I honestly hate it. However im running 200,XXX on original head gasket. My car is a 86.5, just saying.
Joefishizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

i assume its stock?