Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road
Default My 88 Part List

I thought it would maybe help others wondering about upgrades and also give me a chance to get input on the part before I buy...

Here is the list that I have decided on, please let me know if you know of a superior part (the cost is immaterial unless we are talking about a difference of $1000.00) :
(it will be growing as I update - all additions will be in this area and these are subject to change as I get input)

==============================
UPGRADES/IMPROVEMENTS

----------------------------
HKS Turbo Exhaust System
HKS Turbo Exhaust Systems - this is a full 3" exhaust with twin 3" tip muffler. Think that this is sufficient but there is a 3.3" system.. which I think would be louder, so I am avoiding that. Not sure if I need to get a 3" Test pipe and 3" Down pipe, have question in to HKS.
Price (US) - 511.18 - Plan to purchse/install in November.

----------------
3" Downpipe with Divorced Wastegate (DDP)
BIC Performance Products
Quote:
This specially designed full 3" downpipe utilizes a seperate pipe for the wastegate exhaust that vents to the atmosphere, making for less turbulence and higher flow for more power gains. Dyno results have shown gains of 29 whp over a standard 3 inch downpipe setup. Warning: Running the wastegate straight to the atmosphere makes your car LOUD at full boost.
Thanks to kwnate for the headsup!
Price (US) - 369.00 (may be more if I need downpipe gasket) - Plan to purchase/install in November which could turn into December.. due to financial restraints..

-----------------
Boost Controller
HKS USA VBC (Variable Boost Controller) - This is for after all exhaust/intake modifications are done. I put this on my low priority list because the car will function fine without it.
Quote:
The HKS VBC is a manual boost control system that utilizes a pneumatic regulating valve to manipulate boost pressure levels. The VBCs are designed to work with single or dual port actuator wastegates and utilize control valves that can be installed within the cockpit for convenient access or in the engine bay for simplicity. Vehicle specific VBC kits include all the necessary hardware for a complete installation.
Price (US) - 125.00 - Plan to purchase/install after exhaust/intake done.
---------------------
Turbo Timer (type 1)
GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer - this is an asap part. Bugs me that I can't run my turbo for about 5 min or so before I get home or have to sit in the car for a few minutes while I let the turbo spin down. This will solve that, so its on my immediate purchase/install list.
Quote:
The new GReddy Full Auto Timers pack tons of features in one economical, compact unit. In addition to two standard programmable count down presents (P-1, P-2) our timer also has two Auto Timer modes,(A-L, A-H) which estimates the driving RPM according to the vehicles alternator signal and then recommends a count down time. And now there is a Stopwatch/Lap Time mode, and Attack mode. There is also a built in Voltmeter and Speedometer.
Price (US) - 89.00 - Harness - 15.00 - PURCHASED for $129.00 (including Shipping) Jan 13/09 (also bought the silicon hose package at the same time from Horsepower freaks) GAH!!! Just in case anyone is in Canada doing this... BEWARE!!! The Brokerage fees on these 2 combined cost me 120 bucks!! Talk about highway robbery! Definitely rethinking parts on this puppy now.

MAINTENANCE (may not be an upgrade)

Lower Ball Joints (mine are worn) - will be doing this myself.. so photo-journal will follow. Sourcing parts, this is probably what I'm getting...
1987-1992 Toyota Supra - Moog Ball Joint x 2
Price (US) - 73.05 x 2 - ASAP **Dealership wants 900.00 to do it... umm... I dont think so...**
DONE
(This just added due to my recent inspection...)

Spark Plug Galley Cover (Mirror Polished)
LIPP Spark Plug Covers
$43.00 US
Magnecor KV85 Spark Plug Wires
Magnecor KV85 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires
$130.63 US
NGK IRIDIUM IX Spark Plugs
NGK IRIDIUM IX Spark Plugs
$10.72 x6 US

The above 3 parts are needed right away, but I have to wait 2 weeks to get them. At the same time, I plan to do the No.3 Cylinder cover and gasket replacement as descirbed in the forums (just to make sure that its not a problem later on).

(note: I will add to this as I decide on each part.)

This is more for me to track all my modifications and get input on final decisions. Everything listed is future buy, will wait at least 1 week for any input prior to purchasing the part.

My photo-journal of any repairs or upgrades I do will be in:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...w-answers.html

(i'm guessing the entire thing will take about 18 months total, to buy/install)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
WORK DONE!
Clutch hose replaced. Sept 28, 2008
LINK:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...astic-one.html

Last edited by Grandavi; 12-11-2010 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added to the list...
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

Forget the lipp turbo elbow, get a down pipe from Randy at BIC performance that includes the elbow. Best downpipe for a stock turbo there is. BIC Performance Home

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnate View Post
Forget the lipp turbo elbow, get a down pipe from Randy at BIC performance that includes the elbow. Best downpipe for a stock turbo there is. BIC Performance Home
Thank you very much. A little more expensive, but in the end, probably a lot less. Looking at what he has, I like the 3" downpipe with the divorced wastegate. Maybe make the car a little louder on boosting, but that would be a friendly reminder that I actually am boosting (add that to the little bit of extra "g" force.) Updating the list above.

Last edited by Grandavi; 09-21-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:28 AM   #4
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

EthanMKIII is on a distinguished road

What Hp are u trying to achieve? If your build works good ill probly use similiar parts on my 88. Btw has ur supra blown a Hg yet? Mines at 170,000km and im starting to get worried cause it could blow anytime.
EthanMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanMKIII View Post
What Hp are u trying to achieve? If your build works good ill probly use similiar parts on my 88. Btw has ur supra blown a Hg yet? Mines at 170,000km and im starting to get worried cause it could blow anytime.
I am not totally sure about the final HP i want to achieve to be honest. These would be the priorities:
1. Longevity (none of us want to build it twice)
2. Economy (squeeze the MPG's out of it when not having fun)
3. Performance (this is a combination of the first 2, but also the feel of being thrust forward.. its why I like the car so much)

The HP at final stage really wont be known unless I up the Turbo size. Because at that point, I will be doing serious mods and thats not my original intent.

My engine has approx 22,000 km on it (about 13,000 miles). As far as I know, the head gasket is fine. Yours should have failed already at your mileage if it is going to. I have been told by a few people that the one thing to do to prevent BHG in MKIII's is to upgrade the rad first. Only redo the headgasket (put in a MHG) if you are going to be upping the boost to higher levels. If I go that route, I think I may swap engines totally anyway to the JZGTE variant with a new tranny although I havent researched that route yet, but apparently thats the road for 450+ HP. Honestly, I dont think I have enough personal restraint for going that direction as I find it hard not to race when challenged (unless I dont think its an open road and it looks unsafe.. I'm old enough to see the danger)

I just want to keep my Supra for a long time and enjoy it and I miss working on cars (haven't worked on a car in over 20 years now, so this is like a flashback to youth)
Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
TheMark3
Stock

TheMark3 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I don't get it. You say you are holding off on a turbo but you are buying this: 7MGTE T4 Flanged Exhaust Manifold? Does that leave anything in the same place so that you could buy pre-fab downpipe and catback systems? I would think that you would be largely on your own fabricating your entire exhaust once you got that. Is your stock turbo going to bolt up to that? Am I missing something?
TheMark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

EthanMKIII is on a distinguished road

well wiki said 160Miles mines only 170km 160miles is around 200k so i dk i have no symtoms of a BH but i have put a new rad in her.
EthanMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMark3 View Post
I don't get it. You say you are holding off on a turbo but you are buying this: 7MGTE T4 Flanged Exhaust Manifold? Does that leave anything in the same place so that you could buy pre-fab downpipe and catback systems? I would think that you would be largely on your own fabricating your entire exhaust once you got that. Is your stock turbo going to bolt up to that? Am I missing something?
The car has the stock turbo... I meant I dont intend to upgrade it (although, who knows). With that manifold, I may need to do some fabrication, but wont know until I get all the pieces in one spot to match em up and see how they will fit. Exhaust fabrication isn't really a big deal as long as there are no additional big bends. If you happen to know of a better exhaust/manifold header that would be better overall, I posted this list so that people could correct my choices or offer up options (thats the reason I'm not moving really quickly, I dont want to do it twice and all of these parts are new to me.. its been 20 years since I worked on my own car)
Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanMKIII View Post
well wiki said 160Miles mines only 170km 160miles is around 200k so i dk i have no symtoms of a BH but i have put a new rad in her.
Yeah, what I am saying is that hopefully its already been dealth with. At that many miles (km) on the car, I would think any BHG issues would have shown up already and been dealt with. Although, mine has been rebuilt and I know its not the Toyota HG in it, but the Toyota Head bolts are still there. Without tearing off the top of the motor, I havent been able to see if they have stretched or even been torque'd correctly. I have read that the ARP head bolts get torqued to 75 lb/in. but the original torque specs stated 55.. which was where the trouble all started.

And as for new rad... is it a bigger rad? (Remember, I am not an expert or even a mechanic.. just a fellow Supra owner) From all that I have read and been told, you want to get a "better" rad than stock because it is small for the amount of heat this engine generates.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
TheMark3
Stock

TheMark3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandavi View Post
The car has the stock turbo... I meant I dont intend to upgrade it (although, who knows). With that manifold, I may need to do some fabrication, but wont know until I get all the pieces in one spot to match em up and see how they will fit. Exhaust fabrication isn't really a big deal as long as there are no additional big bends. If you happen to know of a better exhaust/manifold header that would be better overall, I posted this list so that people could correct my choices or offer up options (thats the reason I'm not moving really quickly, I dont want to do it twice and all of these parts are new to me.. its been 20 years since I worked on my own car)
OK - but I don't think the CT26 turbo will bolt to that manifold as it does not mount to a T4 flange that I have ever heard of. So you would use - an adapter? Then exiting the turbo you likely will have alignment issues. If you do change the location of the exit from the turbo - then I would not waste money on the downpipe as you will probably wind up butchering it. I am just wondering about the need for the manifold at all - unless you are planning 10s in the quarter mile or something. Without the manifold the rest all makes perfect sense.
TheMark3 is offline   Reply With Quote