Thread: My 88 Part List
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road
Default My 88 Part List

I thought it would maybe help others wondering about upgrades and also give me a chance to get input on the part before I buy...

Here is the list that I have decided on, please let me know if you know of a superior part (the cost is immaterial unless we are talking about a difference of $1000.00) :
(it will be growing as I update - all additions will be in this area and these are subject to change as I get input)

==============================
UPGRADES/IMPROVEMENTS

----------------------------
HKS Turbo Exhaust System
HKS Turbo Exhaust Systems - this is a full 3" exhaust with twin 3" tip muffler. Think that this is sufficient but there is a 3.3" system.. which I think would be louder, so I am avoiding that. Not sure if I need to get a 3" Test pipe and 3" Down pipe, have question in to HKS.
Price (US) - 511.18 - Plan to purchse/install in November.

----------------
3" Downpipe with Divorced Wastegate (DDP)
BIC Performance Products
Quote:
This specially designed full 3" downpipe utilizes a seperate pipe for the wastegate exhaust that vents to the atmosphere, making for less turbulence and higher flow for more power gains. Dyno results have shown gains of 29 whp over a standard 3 inch downpipe setup. Warning: Running the wastegate straight to the atmosphere makes your car LOUD at full boost.
Thanks to kwnate for the headsup!
Price (US) - 369.00 (may be more if I need downpipe gasket) - Plan to purchase/install in November which could turn into December.. due to financial restraints..

-----------------
Boost Controller
HKS USA VBC (Variable Boost Controller) - This is for after all exhaust/intake modifications are done. I put this on my low priority list because the car will function fine without it.
Quote:
The HKS VBC is a manual boost control system that utilizes a pneumatic regulating valve to manipulate boost pressure levels. The VBCs are designed to work with single or dual port actuator wastegates and utilize control valves that can be installed within the cockpit for convenient access or in the engine bay for simplicity. Vehicle specific VBC kits include all the necessary hardware for a complete installation.
Price (US) - 125.00 - Plan to purchase/install after exhaust/intake done.
---------------------
Turbo Timer (type 1)
GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer - this is an asap part. Bugs me that I can't run my turbo for about 5 min or so before I get home or have to sit in the car for a few minutes while I let the turbo spin down. This will solve that, so its on my immediate purchase/install list.
Quote:
The new GReddy Full Auto Timers pack tons of features in one economical, compact unit. In addition to two standard programmable count down presents (P-1, P-2) our timer also has two Auto Timer modes,(A-L, A-H) which estimates the driving RPM according to the vehicles alternator signal and then recommends a count down time. And now there is a Stopwatch/Lap Time mode, and Attack mode. There is also a built in Voltmeter and Speedometer.
Price (US) - 89.00 - Harness - 15.00 - PURCHASED for $129.00 (including Shipping) Jan 13/09 (also bought the silicon hose package at the same time from Horsepower freaks) GAH!!! Just in case anyone is in Canada doing this... BEWARE!!! The Brokerage fees on these 2 combined cost me 120 bucks!! Talk about highway robbery! Definitely rethinking parts on this puppy now.

MAINTENANCE (may not be an upgrade)

Lower Ball Joints (mine are worn) - will be doing this myself.. so photo-journal will follow. Sourcing parts, this is probably what I'm getting...
1987-1992 Toyota Supra - Moog Ball Joint x 2
Price (US) - 73.05 x 2 - ASAP **Dealership wants 900.00 to do it... umm... I dont think so...**
DONE
(This just added due to my recent inspection...)

Spark Plug Galley Cover (Mirror Polished)
LIPP Spark Plug Covers
$43.00 US
Magnecor KV85 Spark Plug Wires
Magnecor KV85 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires
$130.63 US
NGK IRIDIUM IX Spark Plugs
NGK IRIDIUM IX Spark Plugs
$10.72 x6 US

The above 3 parts are needed right away, but I have to wait 2 weeks to get them. At the same time, I plan to do the No.3 Cylinder cover and gasket replacement as descirbed in the forums (just to make sure that its not a problem later on).

(note: I will add to this as I decide on each part.)

This is more for me to track all my modifications and get input on final decisions. Everything listed is future buy, will wait at least 1 week for any input prior to purchasing the part.

My photo-journal of any repairs or upgrades I do will be in:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...w-answers.html

(i'm guessing the entire thing will take about 18 months total, to buy/install)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
WORK DONE!
Clutch hose replaced. Sept 28, 2008
LINK:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...astic-one.html

Last edited by Grandavi; 12-11-2010 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added to the list...
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote