Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMark3 View Post
OK - but I don't think the CT26 turbo will bolt to that manifold as it does not mount to a T4 flange that I have ever heard of. So you would use - an adapter? Then exiting the turbo you likely will have alignment issues. If you do change the location of the exit from the turbo - then I would not waste money on the downpipe as you will probably wind up butchering it. I am just wondering about the need for the manifold at all - unless you are planning 10s in the quarter mile or something. Without the manifold the rest all makes perfect sense.
Ahh, this is the first I have heard of what you are saying. The whole problem is I am reading a lot of bits and pieces of information and trying to follow it without any real hands-on. Therefore I may be confused (which is why I posted this in the first place ). Originally I was against upgrading my turbo, but after reading as much as I can and talking to various people, I am thinking I may have to upgrade it as well as do some other modifications I did not plan on (which I am still trying to hammer out prior to posting more here so I dont confuse the people I am hoping will "unconfuse" me!).

My plan is to try to get as close to 300 HP as possible without going too far from stock or without putting too much pressure on the engine. However, after 2 weeks of studying this (and I may still be incorrect), it seems that there is a "jump point" from approx. 250HP max stock to 450 HP modified. I dont think there is any true middle ground.

The intention of the exhaust manifold or getting a tuned header was to do a simple bolt on improvement as I have read (again.. this is not "hands-on" knowledge, so I am searching for confirmation) that the stock manifold has some issues with backflow due to poor or improper design.

Now... at the risk of doing a text wall, I have found that if I increase an 88 Supra 7MGTE exhaust to 3", the I may be sacrificing low end torque for high end torque (meaning slow at the start, fast at the finish). This isn't what I intend to do at all. So... to sum it up, I will just state what I am trying to accomplish.

My entire "vision" is to have this engine running at top performance with approx. 300-325 HP and doing it as close to perfectly as possible. There are no limitations on the $$ side to achieve this, Im just hoping to do it smartly without spending too much money (isn't that what we all try for?). This car will be my daily driver so economy is a consideration although if I have to sacrifice some fuel for performance.. than so be it!

This exhaust manifold may indeed be wrong for the entire set up as I have learned much more than when I originally posted it. I'm thinking I may have read too much, so am mixing projects up in my tiny brain and cross referencing wrong so that is why I myself may be wrong on my selection.

If you have know of a post here or have information that can steer me right, I would greatly appreciate it. This all ties into having a 3" exhaust to eliminate backpressure.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
TheMark3
Stock

TheMark3 is on a distinguished road

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you - with current set up - a bone stock 86.5 Turbo and no practical limit to the money spent - but don't want to be stupid about it. I also would like to bump it up to around 300-350 hp. Really it is all stupid as I run it 99.9% of the time like the old man I have become - but toys are toys.

I have not heard that the low end will suffer from going to a 3" exhaust.

The prescription given to me for that amount of power is as follows:

3" cat back
elbow/downpipe
hardpipe ic piping
boost controller.

...they said that should bring me to the verge of the power I want - to continue:

Lexus AFM
550 cc injectors
modified CT26
piggyback ecu - or modified air screw for the AFM
walbro fuel pump
tuning time at a dyno

...they say this can easily exceed the upper end of my expectations. Here is where they cautioned me: picking the modification level of the CT26. Put a huge compressor wheel on it and you will see large lag times and then a huge hit of power. At this point it becomes less streetable. Somewhere in the 52 to 57 trim level seems to be a good middle ground. Nowhere yet is any mention of a new manifold either. The piggyback ecu and a wideband sensor will give most power - although I am trying not to have a modified interior on mine and all of the electronics will cramp that.

I am going to aim for the first batch of mods and see where it gets me, then consider the second batch.

I will also say that with this done you can easily get yourself into more trouble than even the car can handle. I would not go crazy on the engine without considering brake and suspension upgrades.
TheMark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
Grandavi
walbro fp

I am just doing a little further research and hope that I have final outline today (will post when I do).

Your plan looks correct, but I either dont want to modify the turbo or replace it with a larger one. Decisions.. decisions...
Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

EthanMKIII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you - with current set up - a bone stock 86.5 Turbo and no practical limit to the money spent - but don't want to be stupid about it. I also would like to bump it up to around 300-350 hp.
Are you sure its bone stock? I doubt its the original engine since im pretty sure 87 or 88 was the first year of the turbo.
EthanMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanMKIII View Post
Are you sure its bone stock? I doubt its the original engine since im pretty sure 87 or 88 was the first year of the turbo.
Not sure of anything with this car so far.. but this is the stock block and head... of that I am certain. It had a JZM swap done and the engine was bad so it was pulled out and the original was rebuilt and turbo replaced. I have the bills for that, but I dont know if the turbo is stock or not. Just know its a CT26... no idea what trim it is. As for the exhaust manifold.. definitely NOT getting it now... the stock manifold is rated for about 500 HP before you gotta get tuned and ported... so I was confused.
The real upgrade is the turbo elbow... thats where I got confused.

Updating my part list... : )
Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
TheMark3
Stock

Quote:
Yeah - I am. I was there when my brother bought it. The Mk3 came with a turbo from day 1.

As for the power - the real thing holding me up is the head gasket, I have no record of it being changed. There is also a little knock - I am trying to determine if it is valve or crank. I might just get a second 7M short block and start from there.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:59 AM   #17
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

EthanMKIII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah - I am. I was there when my brother bought it. The Mk3 came with a turbo from day 1.

As for the power - the real thing holding me up is the head gasket, I have no record of it being changed. There is also a little knock - I am trying to determine if it is valve or crank. I might just get a second 7M short block and start from there.
your cars a 87 then Toyota Supra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Although only available in naturally aspirated trim in 1986.5, a turbocharged version of the engine was introduced in the 1987 model year"
EthanMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #18
TheMark3
Stock

Quote:
your cars a 87 then Toyota Supra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Although only available in naturally aspirated trim in 1986.5, a turbocharged version of the engine was introduced in the 1987 model year"
I suppose that's possible. Mfg date is late 1986 - so it makes sense.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #19
evosupra
Banned

evosupra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You are doing a fine job

You ve done your research ! good job on picking your parts.
i think youll do just fine . its just a matter of coming up with the money and time !

Hang in there ! sweet ride !
evosupra is offline   Reply With Quote