Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #31
RedAstig
Stock

RedAstig is on a distinguished road
Default Where?

had same problem...anyone has a diagram where the starter relay located? thanks.
RedAstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #32
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The stock diagram? Here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=038
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #33
RedAstig
Stock

Hey Cre, I try to buy today at NAPA auto parts the starter relay and they said its not listed...where can I buy this? and I cant find where is it located inside my car so I cant take it out and show it to NAPA. please help thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #34
RedAstig
Stock

Default Where

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
Copied from previous post HERE
One of the problems is the gauge of the wire, although probably ok when new, it is too thin and over the years the copper wire deteriorates, resistance increases due to age and the constant heat changes. This becomes more apparent when the engine bay heats up, the thin wire will also heat up, causing high resistance. A permanent fix is to fit a 30 or 40amp 12v relay in the engine compartment. Instructions below.

The thin wire from the ignition activates the coil in the relay which doesn’t need a lot of current. The switching part of the relay takes care of the amps required for the starter solenoid, The large wire going to the starter motor from the battery is the main power to turn over the starter motor once the solenoid is activated, this wire doesn’t need to be upgraded. Insructions;
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Fix the relay to the bulkhead or somewhere covenant.
3. Remove the thin wire going to the starter motor and connect it to terminal # 86 on the new relay
4.Connect terminal # 85 to earth (negative) using a 20 amp wireAt this stage you can check the relay is working by connecting the batteryand switching on the ignition as you would normally do to start the car. You should hear a click from the new relay but the starter will not turn over until you have competed the next steps.
5. Remember to disconnect the battery again
6. Connect a 20 amp wire to the spade terminal on the starter motor. (This is where the thin wire was once connected.) Connect the other end to # 87 on the relay.
7. Connect 20 amp wire straight to the battery and to # 30. connector on the relay. Job Done.
Where can I find this in my car Toyota Supra 1988 7mgte? and where can I buy it? NAPA said its not listed on them. Please help thanks.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #35
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

That is not a Toyota part. It's a standard Bosch 30/87 SPST automotive relay. This is a hack to work around an age related issue which many experience with this car. This is a circuit you ADD to your vehicle. You can find these relays in the lighting section of most auto parts stores for $1 to $5 (depending on the shop and the area).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #36
RedAstig
Stock

Thanks man...just got confuse of this starting headache when my engine gets hot, wont start...i will try this. Thanks bro.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #37
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Check for diagnostic codes first. Heat may cause a failing starter or wiring from cranking but there are other possibilities as well. If it's a failing starter or other component this rewire will be a pointless headache.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #38
RedAstig
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Check for diagnostic codes first. Heat may cause a failing starter or wiring from cranking but there are other possibilities as well. If it's a failing starter or other component this rewire will be a pointless headache.
Thanks CRE, my starter is new and alternator, battery is good. But just now I have a new problem...when i turn on my headlights, it wont come on but instead I hear a continuous clicking sound on one of the relay in driver side and the big relay on engine compartment and my dash board light on and off, it happen before and i thought its only a loosen relay coz when i push it, it works but now it wont work that way anymore, any idea what is this? i appreciate all your help man.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:58 PM   #39
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Starter shorted?

I jacked my MKIII up and attached a wire to the blue and black wire tabbed location brown clip on the starter and ran it to the positive terminal of my battery and it acts like it is shorting out when I touch positive wire to the battery terminal. I was following instructions I read on the site as to how to test the activation wire to the starter. The car sat for a couple of years but the starter worked fine when I parked it does anyone have an answer for this? Does this mean the starter has somehow gone bad just from sitting?

The wire sparks when I touch it to the positive terminal seems to burn slightly but not like a full short. The Starter does nothing. I have full battery and the car only clicks when I try to start it. Could a short have developed within the starter just from sitting?
Please respond. Thanks

Last edited by batmmannn; 08-08-2015 at 03:24 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:56 PM   #40
JRWooden
Stock

JRWooden is on a distinguished road
Question Starter / Alarm System / OEM relay ??

I hope some smart people are still around here on the forum...
I'm the original owner of MkIII 86.5 NA

I've been having starting issues and am aware of the common problem with the blue trigger wire not supplying adequate juice to fully pull in the solenoid, and the relay-fix. I have NOT yet installed that upgrade but likely will do so very soon...
except today ... it's cold raining and my Supra won't start.

I have good battery (6 mo old, fully charged).
I recently replaced starter motor which may not have been 100% necessary,
but before I turned in the core I took it apart and if it wasn't causing some issues ...
it was going to be doing so soon brushes and contacts in poor shape.

if there is any talent on deck - I have two Questions please:

1) Has anyone ever found the OEM starter relay on the passenger side kick panel to be a problem?

Item "C" in this pic:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=BE&P=14

Starter relay center right in this diagram:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=038

2) I have had issues in the past with the alarm system ... so would like to eliminate that as a potential issue.
One proposed way to disable the alarm system permanently is to unplug the alarm switch at the hood latch
since it is easy to get to ... I think it was @cre that suggested this?

It appears to be the 2-pin black connector at rear of hood latch assby?
Do I just unplug it or do I jumper across the harness side of the connector? That part was not clear....

Thanks!
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote