Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
igosaur
3" Exhaust

igosaur is on a distinguished road
Default Engine cuts out

There I was, having a nice drive with my daughter. After about 20 miles we parked down the town and went shopping.

When we came back to the car, with just 30 minutes left to park, I turned the key and, nothing.

I had to wait about an hour before the engine cooled down before it would start.

This has only happened once before after a longish journey. Other than that she starts up first time every time.

Any ideas?

7MGE 3.0i 1989 Auto

Last edited by igosaur; 05-30-2008 at 09:29 AM.
igosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

When you say it doesn’t start, do you mean the engine turns over but doesn’t fire up, or the starter doesn’t turn and just makes a clicking sound.? If it’s the latter and Gosport is in the UK, then is more than likely it will be the thin wire going to the starter . The UK supras don’t have a relay, the wire from the ignition goes straight to the starter solenoid (or via an alarm if fitted or neutral switch on an auto), one of the problems is the gauge of the wire, although probably ok when new, it is too thin and over the years the copper wire deteriorates, resistance increases due to age and the constant heat changes. This becomes more apparent when the engine bay heats up, the thin wire will also heat up, causing high resistance. A permanent fix is to fit a 30 or 40amp 12v relay in the engine compartment. Instructions below.
The thin wire from the ignition activates the coil in the relay which doesn’t need a lot of current. The switching part of the relay takes care of the amps required for the starter solenoid, The large wire going to the starter motor from the battery is the main power to turn over the starter motor once the solenoid is activated, this wire doesn’t need to be upgraded.
Insructions;
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Fix the relay to the bulkhead or somewhere covenant.
3. Remove the thin wire going to the starter motor and connect it to terminal # 86 on the new relay
4.Connect terminal # 85 to earth (negative) using a 20 amp wire
At this stage you can check the relay is working by connecting the battery
and switching on the ignition as you would normally do to start the car. You should hear a click from the new relay but the starter will not turn over until you have competed the next steps.
5. Remember to disconnect the battery again
6. Connect a 20 amp wire to the spade terminal on the starter motor. (This is where the thin wire was once connected.) Connect the other end to # 87 on the relay.
7. Connect 20 amp wire straight to the battery and to # 30. connector on the relay. Job Done.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Try this first; connect a wire (about 20 amp) to the small spade connector on the starter motor, there are only two wires going to the starter, (both are positive) one large red wire which is bolted on to the starter and one thin one that is connected to a brown shielded spade connector. The other end of the wire temporally insulate, you may find it easer to leave the existing small wire connected and just crimp or solder the extra wire as close as possible to where it connects to the starter. Turn on the ignition (make sure its not in gear) remove the temporary insulation from the new wire and touch the positive terminal on the battery. If it does start then its more than likely the small wire has deteriorated. I had the same problem but didn’t have time to fit the relay, so I connected a wire to the starter and insulated the other end. On the odd occasion when the starter just made a clicking sound, I just popped the bonnet (hood if you live in the US ) removed the insulation from the new wire and touched the positive terminal on the battery and up she started. I eventually got around to fitting a relay.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Bill UK
AEM EMS

This is the one I fitted igosaur 40A SPNO Auto 12Vdc N02AW Maplin
Old 05-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
igosaur
3" Exhaust

Yes, I am in the U.K.

Nothing actually happens at all.. Maybe there is a slight click sound but other than that, nothing.

Thanks for the instructions, this will certainly give me something to do over the weekend
Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
igosaur
3" Exhaust

Go away you silly person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFlys View Post
Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a WoW Gold genre of online computer role-playing games (CRPGs) in and which a large number of players interact with one another in a virtual world. As in all RPGs, So please try WoW Powerleveling and players assume the role of a fictional character not Runescape Powerleveling and (most commonly in a fantasy world),and take control over many of that character's actions.MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player CRPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world, usually hosted by the game's publisher, which continues to exist or and evolve while the player is away from the game.someone said that is a great idear,but i think it's a nice choose! why? because that and Maple Story Mesos it's a best games items for mmorpg,and somefor games player not to be our best games,lol~ we should try and buy some also we can learn some to improve our games account! ThanksRunescape
Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
supradaddy0803
12psi boost

supradaddy0803 is on a distinguished road

I have had this problem before and my negative battery clamp was broke and would work itslef loose during the expansion of the battery terminal when it warmed up. Then when it cooled down it would reseat and work just fine. Try to grab it and turn it if it moves then you need to try to tighten it or if it is broke replace it. Another symtom of this is when you turn the key you will lose all of the lights on the dash and everything pretty much.
Tokico pillow blocks
Suspension Techniques front and rear sway bar
HKS super dragger cat-back exhaust plus test pipe
Greddy Profec B spec 2 boost controller
HKS type 1 turbo timer
Supra sport solid steel drive shaft
Walboro 255 fuel pump
JZA70 Front end mod
18" Volk Racing AV3 18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear
supradaddy0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
Zcustom
Stock

Zcustom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
When you say it doesn’t start, do you mean the engine turns over but doesn’t fire up, or the starter doesn’t turn and just makes a clicking sound.? If it’s the latter and Gosport is in the UK, then is more than likely it will be the thin wire going to the starter . The UK supras don’t have a relay, the wire from the ignition goes straight to the starter solenoid (or via an alarm if fitted or neutral switch on an auto), one of the problems is the gauge of the wire, although probably ok when new, it is too thin and over the years the copper wire deteriorates, resistance increases due to age and the constant heat changes. This becomes more apparent when the engine bay heats up, the thin wire will also heat up, causing high resistance. A permanent fix is to fit a 30 or 40amp 12v relay in the engine compartment. Instructions below.
The thin wire from the ignition activates the coil in the relay which doesn’t need a lot of current. The switching part of the relay takes care of the amps required for the starter solenoid, The large wire going to the starter motor from the battery is the main power to turn over the starter motor once the solenoid is activated, this wire doesn’t need to be upgraded.
Insructions;
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Fix the relay to the bulkhead or somewhere covenant.
3. Remove the thin wire going to the starter motor and connect it to terminal # 86 on the new relay
4.Connect terminal # 85 to earth (negative) using a 20 amp wire
At this stage you can check the relay is working by connecting the battery
and switching on the ignition as you would normally do to start the car. You should hear a click from the new relay but the starter will not turn over until you have competed the next steps.
5. Remember to disconnect the battery again
6. Connect a 20 amp wire to the spade terminal on the starter motor. (This is where the thin wire was once connected.) Connect the other end to # 87 on the relay.
7. Connect 20 amp wire straight to the battery and to # 30. connector on the relay. Job Done.
This fix works perfectly! Sorry to bump such an old thread but I've been able to resurrect my 86.5 N/A and I had to join the forum just to say thanks.

For anyone else with this issue, here is the kit I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-85937-S.../dp/B0024GM6HI
Zcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

naw thanks for bumping it otherwise i never would of seen it.
moving to the faq.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
11Ton Butterfly
Stock

11Ton Butterfly is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this!
11Ton Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote