Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Travis89Turbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
I'd assume you didn't notice any cracks in the #6 piston's ring lands (this is common when compression is low). A bent valve is unlikely, unless your previous config was interference? A bent valve on the top side almost never happens with the OHC+bucket config. A leak tester is an excellent next step. Good luck with it, and please keep us informed. If I were to just guess (which I don't like doing), consider replacing your #6 piston (i.e. not the head).
Okay. Results of leak down.... I have only done cylinder 5 and 6 for the time being due to the cross over intake mani. And it was gettin late.

#5= an average of 25% leak. No leaking out of valves with small blowby past rings.
#6=an average of 85% leak! Blowing pressure out of intake and exhaust with very very little blowing by piston.

The ge is still Non interference motor but I'm assuming the added pressure from boost and high compression. May have tweaked them. It's not a massive bend cause it looked flush. I had done quite a bit of research before my tear down just tryin to find troubled areas on the GE. And like you said the cracks in the piston ring glands is a common problem. So I inspected the piston thoroughly and it besides the slight carbon (more then I expected at only 70k) the piston looked flawless as did the rings I pulled and measured within limits per factory manual. Although I replaced them anyways. The GE pistons are coated just as the GTE so I stayed away from the wire brushes.

I forgot to add that I found Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the factory service repair manuals on eBay for an insane deal of $45 shipped. Some were sellin for over 100+ These manuals are great. They cover everything you could think of and then ten times more! Thanks for the advice to pick those up!

1995 Toyota Supra SE 71k miles. Master power T70
stock 2jzge

1989 Toyota Supra. 1jzgte swap 5 speed of course..
Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged

If it hasnt broke you haven pushed it hard enough!!
Travis89Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #32
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo View Post
Okay. Results of leak down.... I have only done cylinder 5 and 6 for the time being due to the cross over intake mani. And it was gettin late.

#5= an average of 25% leak. No leaking out of valves with small blowby past rings.
#6=an average of 85% leak! Blowing pressure out of intake and exhaust with very very little blowing by piston.
Hi! , The high blowby through the in and ex ports makes me believe the valves are on overlap - exhaust closing and inlet opening , may be an idea to retest with the crank in different positions to thoroughly test cylinder no 6 pressure .

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-18-2013 at 07:44 PM.
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #33
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested! View Post
Hi! , The high blowby through the in and ex ports makes me believe the valves are on overlap - exhaust closing and inlet opening , may be an idea to retest with the crank in different positions to thoroughly test cylinder no 6 pressure .
Only thing I can think of that is left would be ECU possibly. Hopefully I can talk my friend with the mk2 to let me swap ecus.

stock 2jzge

Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-18-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #34
interested!
3" Exhaust

Question http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/20746-intermittent-miss-up-to-2k-and-i

Hi! , No problem ! Question ? : is the engine a high miler from new without top-end overhaul ? -- The valve seats and valves may have some pitting and this is letting the pressure through , my 7MGTE head needed an overhaul ,the seats and valves desperately needed recutting/refacing following a BHG as they were severely pitted ,a leaking ( oil ) turbo and general clean-up . I've had two engines where the inlet valves have split at the seat and burnt away , one was nearly new , the other a high miler . both were misfiring .

Last edited by interested!; 01-18-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #35
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Only thing I can think of that is left would be ECU possibly. Hopefully I can talk my friend with the mk2 to let me swap ecus.
How is your valve shim clearance?

Quote:
Hi! , No problem ! Question ? : is the engine a high miler from new without top-end overhaul ? -- The valve seats and valves may have some pitting and this is letting the pressure through , my 7MGTE head needed an overhaul ,the seats and valves desperately needed recutting/refacing following a BHG as they were severely pitted ,a leaking ( oil ) turbo and general clean-up . I've had two engines where the inlet valves have split at the seat and burnt away , one was nearly new , the other a high miler . both were misfiring .
True. I've seen a VERY badly pitted head from running higher boost on pump gas. In fact, (among other damage) it punched right through from one combustion chamber to the next! Lots of welding and machining was required to get that head back in shape.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-18-2013 at 07:49 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #36
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Quote:
How is your valve shim clearance?

True. I've seen a VERY badly pitted head from running higher boost on pump gas. In fact, (among other damage) it punched right through from one combustion chamber to the next! Lots of welding and machining was required to get that head back in shape.
I checked valve shim clearance and all were to the lower side of the limits per FSM.

Mileage is only 71,000. I purchased the car from an elderly man that was original owner. All factory service records.

I have an idea. Thinkin back a few post when I had pulled all my turbo stuff off and put the header on to determine which bank of cylinders was giving me trouble. I am wondering if its just the differential pressure between the rear bank that causes the ecu to go hay wire.

What if I weld an 02 bung pre turbo on one of the front bank cylinders to trick the ecu. I know this would cause 6 cyl. To run rich but it should keep the ecu out of lean mode. And the worse that could happen is I blow a motor that I am ready to pull out anyways.

Looking way back when I first bought my na header way before the turbo kit I noticed 6 cyl. Was not near as colorful (almost ss still) compared to the others. I think that has been a weak cyl. For a long time? But the turbo pushed it beyond the ecus threshold after the boost. It did run great and not skip a beat when I was running o2 on the front bank.

stock 2jzge

1999 Ford F350 diesel

Last edited by Travis89Turbo; 01-18-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #37
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I checked valve shim clearance and all were to the lower side of the limits per FSM.

Mileage is only 71,000. I purchased the car from an elderly man that was original owner. All factory service records.

I have an idea. Thinkin back a few post when I had pulled all my turbo stuff off and put the header on to determine which bank of cylinders was giving me trouble. I am wondering if its just the differential pressure between the rear bank that causes the ecu to go hay wire.

What if I weld an 02 bung pre turbo on one of the front bank cylinders to trick the ecu. I know this would cause 6 cyl. To run rich but it should keep the ecu out of lean mode. And the worse that could happen is I blow a motor that I am ready to pull out anyways.

Looking way back when I first bought my na header way before the turbo kit I noticed 6 cyl. Was not near as colorful (almost ss still) compared to the others. I think that has been a weak cyl. For a long time? But the turbo pushed it beyond the ecus threshold after the boost. It did run great and not skip a beat when I was running o2 on the front bank.
If the #6 valves are bent, you could get 4 new valves, seat them with lapping compound, and then re-shim just those four buckets. *shrug* just brainstorming ... like you said, it's a good time to try options since you're at the point where the engine may have to come out anyway.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-19-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Quote:
If the #6 valves are bent, you could get 4 new valves, seat them with lapping compound, and then re-shim just those four buckets. *shrug* just brainstorming ... like you said, it's a good time to try options since you're at the point where the engine may have to come out anyway.
Well here's where it gets even trickier. I was doin the leak down on the wrong stroke. I turned engine 180 and then leakage was in the 30s?? No blowby past the valves but some out of the bottom end past rings. The motor hasn't even ran enough for the new rings on 6 to seat. So now I don't think its a valve issue anymore. Lol. This dang thing.. I'm determined to figure it out.

What I did last night is pulled all the turbo equipment off and put my NA header back on with the ECU's Narrow band O2 sensors wired into the front bank. And then My AEM wideband in the rear bank. And wouldn't you know it. Ran perfect. Doesn't skip a beat or run rough at all. And like I was figuring the rear bank is running just slightly rich 13.4 vs before issue idle was about 14.5. I was able to run the engine up to operating temp hoping to help seat the new rings. Although I found my brand new cam seals are leaking like crazy so I am addressing that issue first today.. And I mean leaking bad. Wondering if I blew them out with leak down test? But not a big deal to change.

So what I am goin to do to for a more permanent fix is weld the o2 sensor bung into my number 1 cyl. Pipe on my turbo mani pre turbo to run my ecu. I got thinkin about tuning after that and figured the best way to do it accurately (except for 6) is to weld an additional o2 bung in either 1 or 2 for my wide band. Allowing me to tune accurately to 5 cylinders and 6 be slightly rich due to lower compression which may go up with some break in. Although it will technically only be tuning to one cylinder but the others are within a few psi of eachother and the low amount of boost/power I am aiming for and just daily driving it not beating it up I believe it should work.

Then the thought of passing the emissions smog test. Luckily its obd1 so its the sniffer. How I plan on makin it pass is with a separate tune I will add only for smog and load it to the ecu at the smog parking lot. Is move my wideband to the downpipe after turbo and de fuel the other cylinders to make My exhaust fall within smog limits. What do u think? To pass smog based off other vehicles I have tuned is around 14-14.7

I will be doin tune with MAP.ECU1 with built in map sensor and runnig an IAT sensor. Deleting MAF.

stock 2jzge

1999 Ford F350 diesel

Last edited by Travis89Turbo; 01-19-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #39
interested!
3" Exhaust

Exclamation

Hi! , Excellent news! just a bit of tweaking now , had us worried for a while .
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #40
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Hi! , Excellent news! just a bit of tweaking now , had us worried for a while .
Agreed.

Quote:
Well here's where it gets even trickier. I was doin the leak down on the wrong stroke. I turned engine 180 and then leakage was in the 30s?? No blowby past the valves but some out of the bottom end past rings. The motor hasn't even ran enough for the new rings on 6 to seat. So now I don't think its a valve issue anymore. Lol. This dang thing.. I'm determined to figure it out.

What I did last night is pulled all the turbo equipment off and put my NA header back on with the ECU's Narrow band O2 sensors wired into the front bank. And then My AEM wideband in the rear bank. And wouldn't you know it. Ran perfect. Doesn't skip a beat or run rough at all. And like I was figuring the rear bank is running just slightly rich 13.4 vs before issue idle was about 14.5. I was able to run the engine up to operating temp hoping to help seat the new rings. Although I found my brand new cam seals are leaking like crazy so I am addressing that issue first today.. And I mean leaking bad. Wondering if I blew them out with leak down test? But not a big deal to change.

So what I am goin to do to for a more permanent fix is weld the o2 sensor bung into my number 1 cyl. Pipe on my turbo mani pre turbo to run my ecu. I got thinkin about tuning after that and figured the best way to do it accurately (except for 6) is to weld an additional o2 bung in either 1 or 2 for my wide band. Allowing me to tune accurately to 5 cylinders and 6 be slightly rich due to lower compression which may go up with some break in. Although it will technically only be tuning to one cylinder but the others are within a few psi of eachother and the low amount of boost/power I am aiming for and just daily driving it not beating it up I believe it should work.

Then the thought of passing the emissions smog test. Luckily its obd1 so its the sniffer. How I plan on makin it pass is with a separate tune I will add only for smog and load it to the ecu at the smog parking lot. Is move my wideband to the downpipe after turbo and de fuel the other cylinders to make My exhaust fall within smog limits. What do u think? To pass smog based off other vehicles I have tuned is around 14-14.7

I will be doin tune with MAP.ECU1 with built in map sensor and runnig an IAT sensor. Deleting MAF.
Thanks for the update! Please keep us informed.