Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
kobesupra
Stock

kobesupra is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Toyota supra 2Jza-ge having problems

I bought this toyota supra 2jza-ge N/A 1995 past 3 months and it was running fine, the past owner said the he changed the throttle position sensor but he didn't say why. after 2 months my brother borrowed the car and said that it went off randomly after he accidentally switched the key while the car is already running. Now the car has problems starting and getting his normal idle (idle is between 500-600rpm) since then. Tried to take is to a mechanic, he said that switching the key while its running wont do any serious problems then he checked for engine codes but the codes are normal.

will try to upload video starting it but any suggestions of trying to fix it??

Last edited by kobesupra; 03-27-2013 at 04:42 AM.
kobesupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road

What is the mileage on the car and was it serviced before you bought it.
When you drive her does she drive normal with no problems
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
kobesupra
Stock

It was about 180000, I would not say fine when i'm driving it because theres a time that the idle drops down like the engine is going to stall and it goes back up again and this would happen 3-4 times then it goes back to normal
Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road

It can be n number off things when was it last serviced.filters plugs ens...
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite uncommon BUT... If the drive gear, pinion or fork in the starter were damaged preventing the drive gear from disengaging then yes, the starter could be the source of the problem. Your idle would bog (it'll get worse as the starter decays from the abuse), you'll have difficulty starting the car and you may experience electrical problems.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesupra View Post
It was about 180000, I would not say fine when i'm driving it because theres a time that the idle drops down like the engine is going to stall and it goes back up again and this would happen 3-4 times then it goes back to normal
Just curious: has the sound it makes while starting changed at all since before the problem when your brother borrowed it?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
kobesupra
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Just curious: has the sound it makes while starting changed at all since before the problem when your brother borrowed it?
No it didn't it just losses its idle then it would stall the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
It's quite uncommon BUT... If the drive gear, pinion or fork in the starter were damaged preventing the drive gear from disengaging then yes, the starter could be the source of the problem. Your idle would bog (it'll get worse as the starter decays from the abuse), you'll have difficulty starting the car and you may experience electrical problems.
So whats the best way to fix this problem? thanks for replying btw

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-08-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesupra View Post
...So whats the best way to fix this problem? thanks for replying btw
You'd need a new starter for sure. However, I would *guess* that you would hear a continuous whine from the starter motor while the car is running in this case (cre, please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Given you haven't heard any new noises/sounds since your brother messed with the ignition key while running...I would suggest your next troubleshooting step should be a standard check for vacuum leaks. You can do this with a smoke machine or by pressurizing your intake system. Some folks even use a can of ether and spray near the intake system to check for leaks - for obvious reasons this isn't my top choice of troubleshooting procedure.

When your mechanic said "codes are normal", what exactly did he mean? In fact, *any* code at all is abnormal...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-08-2013 at 03:12 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

As fast as that starter would be spinning I would expect a fair amount of noise... but you never know how observant folks are or if they'd be able to identify the source nor do I know how much he's been driving it since this started. Just throwing the possibility out there. For me it'd be a fairly quick operation to just pull it and check for any damage, but I don't send work to a shop for such things.

I may be wrong but wouldn't an engaged starter generate voltage which could be tested for?

Anyway, as I said, this scenario isn't very common as far as I know (at least not in anything since the made 80's; See: older domestics, esp. Chevy starter shim fix) and isn't likely to be the problem. I figure it is worth a quick check since kobesupra's brother insists that all he did was crank the starter while the engine was running. If this did happen I wouldn't expect the starter to function for long before the bearings start screaming and die a terrible death.

If there are diagnostic codes present which the mechanic is dismissing you should have him write them down and post them. If he won't get the codes read at an auto parts store (every one around here will read codes for free). I suspect that by saying the codes are "normal" he may have meant there were none present but it's worth verifying.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote