Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Tedor
Stock

Tedor is on a distinguished road

Yes, thanks!

Like you said the hard thing is to know how hard the engine have been pushed, put that's the think with every car. I want to have a good base to start with like a LHD Targa 6 speed TT 1998 which I belive is the best base, of course less miles would be better but that also cost and I will upgrade parts after they break. If the motor is bad I saw Suprastore selling OEM motors with auto trans for 3k shipped. So the motor is cheper than the 6 speed trans, and to convert a auto to manual is going to cost more.

I heard that Canadian cars have KM/h like we have here in sweden, how can I se on a Supra if it is from Canada or US?

Best Regards Fredrik
Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedor View Post
Yes, thanks!

Like you said the hard thing is to know how hard the engine have been pushed, put that's the think with every car. I want to have a good base to start with like a LHD Targa 6 speed TT 1998 which I belive is the best base, of course less miles would be better but that also cost and I will upgrade parts after they break. If the motor is bad I saw Suprastore selling OEM motors with auto trans for 3k shipped. So the motor is cheper than the 6 speed trans, and to convert a auto to manual is going to cost more.

I heard that Canadian cars have KM/h like we have here in sweden, how can I se on a Supra if it is from Canada or US?

Best Regards Fredrik
You can probably determine this from the VIN# (vehicle identification number). Share this number with Toyota and most likely they can help you track down the original selling point. Here's some more information on VINs:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/read_vin/index.html
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/read_vin/supravin.html

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
Tedor
Stock

Thanks again! Still waiting for the VIN from him. If a stock supra got 160 000 Miles on it, how bad is that? I dont know how good or bad the car have been serviced or driven...

/Fredrik
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks again! Still waiting for the VIN from him. If a stock supra got 160 000 Miles on it, how bad is that? I dont know how good or bad the car have been serviced or driven...

/Fredrik
Service/maintence records are critical. If it's been driven hard, 160K miles will likely mean some significant maintence. Things like the oem coils and the oem harmonic dampener will likely need replacing, along with the standard items shown in the owner's manual (eg. timing belt). The turbos likely won't be able to push 24psi or more like brand-new oem twins will (with the appropriate octane of race fuel, of course). Again, be sure to do compression/leakdown tests to measure the health of the engine itself.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
Tedor
Stock

Okey thanks, motor seems to be almost the cheapest part. Being a beginner when it comes to supras. What about the transmission (6 speed), rear end, suspension and stuff like that? How will they take 160 000 miles. I know it depends on maintence and how hard the car have been driven. I have nothing against to get my hands dirty and do job on the car that's no problem at all, just fun, it's the costs that scares me. Of course a more expensive car will have less miles but it dont say that the interior is in top shape so it's hard but I hope I find one very soon. Anxious to start the journey.

Best Regards Fredrik
Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Okey thanks, motor seems to be almost the cheapest part. Being a beginner when it comes to supras. What about the transmission (6 speed), rear end, suspension and stuff like that? How will they take 160 000 miles. I know it depends on maintence and how hard the car have been driven. I have nothing against to get my hands dirty and do job on the car that's no problem at all, just fun, it's the costs that scares me. Of course a more expensive car will have less miles but it dont say that the interior is in top shape so it's hard but I hope I find one very soon. Anxious to start the journey.

Best Regards Fredrik
The V160 is a rock. It's been proven to handle 2000hp! Really! Worst case, the owner had no idea how to shift and the 2nd gear synchro is gone. Unlikely, but possible.

The Mkiv TT rear end is a rock too. No issues there. Please check/change the fluid - 160K is too long if it hasn't been changed yet.

Suspension - also no problem, unless it was roadraced every weekend. Then the bushings might be showing some wear. I regard the shocks as a consumeable - kind of like tires. They very well might need to be changed too *shrug*.

Again, good luck. Please keep us informed.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #17
Tedor
Stock

Thanks!

Not sure if you can se this:

http://www.carfax.se/show-report/f06...#DetailSection

Well so I got the VIN number from the guy and it have 25 carfax reports.

Brought in Louisiana, Tennesee at the end of 1998.

Looks well serviced to 25k miles then I cant se any more,

Hit a guardrail in 1999, minor damage.

2009 hit a tree, airbag deployed very servere damage reported to front. Maybe that's why the car have a FMIC

Later in 2009 the car was exported from New York to United Kingdom and it have been in sweden in a little bit more then one year acording to the seller.

If the car have been repaired good I see no problem, I dont know how crash freindly supras are, how hard it is to get everything to fit properly just beacuse it says very servere damage dosent mean it was that bad I think. And the airbag, how can I tell on a supra if they have fixed that? like replaced the center of the steering wheel and stuff like that and if they just removed them, early supras do not have airbag, am I right?

/Fredrik
Old 08-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #18
Tedor
Stock

Default CARFAX report

08/04/1998

NICB
Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer

10/30/1998
Louisiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
New Orleans, LA
Title or registration issued
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported

11/27/1999

Louisiana
Damage Report
Accident reported
Involving left front impact
It hit a guardrail
Minor damage reported

02/29/2000
Service Facility
Oil and filter changed

11/22/2000
Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

01/25/2001
Service Facility
Recommended maintenance performed
Air filter replaced

03/02/2001
Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

06/09/2001
Service Facility
Oil and filter changed
Tune-up performed
Air filter replaced
Throttle body cleaned/serviced
Engine cleaned

09/10/2001
Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

04/12/2002
Service Facility
Oil and filter changed

12/12/2002
Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

02/19/2003

Louisiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
New Orleans, LA
Registration issued or renewed
Loan or lien reported

09/08/2003
Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

10/20/2003
Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

03/09/2004
Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

01/14/2005

Louisiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
New Orleans, LA
Loan or lien reported

09/16/2005

CARFAX

This vehicle was registered in a county declared a flood disaster area by the Federal Emergency Management Agency ( FEMA ).

01/26/2006

Lakeside Toyota
Metairie, LA
504-833-3311
lakesidetoyota.com
Two tires mounted and balanced
Four wheel alignment performed
Oil and filter changed

11/04/2008

Louisiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
New Orleans, LA
Loan or lien reported

12/30/2008

Tennessee
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Memphis, TN
Title #78810595

05/04/2009

Tennessee
Damage Report
Accident reported
Involving front impact
It hit a tree
Damage reported to:
Front
Very severe damage reported
Airbag deployed CARFAX Airbag Tips
CARFAX began reporting this information on 03/23/2011.

06/06/2009

Damage Report
TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE

06/06/2009

Tennessee
Motor Vehicle Dept.
to insurance company

06/06/2009

Tennessee
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Memphis, TN
Title #N0081837
SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED
JUNK TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED
DISMANTLED TITLE ISSUED

08/17/2009

Vehicle Exporter
Vehicle exported from
New York, NY
and imported to
United Kingdom

Thanks! /Fredrik Sweden
Old 09-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Default Started new thread, for one specific Supra for sale

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ax-report.html

Closed Thread