Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Hybridtheory
Stock

Hybridtheory is on a distinguished road
Default Supra Convert

Hi All,

My first post on here. I'm from New Zealand, and I currently drive a Nissan Skyline GTS-25t. I've had it for about 7 years now and I absolutely love it, esp the growl of it when at full throttle. I've done a few mods to it and its currently putting out 275kw @ the wheels and around 460Nm.

You must be thinking, wtf is this guy doing on a Supra forum!? lol, well. Right now, im considering selling my car this year, and actually upgrading to a RZ Supra. I was thinking of upgrading to an R33 GTR, but, fact is, you cant really bring out the true potential of one on the streets(not that you would want to though!). Also, owning a GTR means you need an extra 15k spare incase it pops.

I have alot of my mates who have GTR's and a few 2jz gte's too, all being track setup. I have found that to make a GTR track spec and reliable, you need to spend some money. I guess my point being that the stock gtr cannot sustain high hp for very long, BUT when you do put some money into it, hardly anything comes close to it on the track. I have a good friend whos running around 440awkw, roll caged, track spec, and that thing is PHENOMENAL! It is so fast around tracks that it scares me.

Anyway! I have been reading up on the Supra, and I notice that it is able to withstand stupid amounts of power from the stock motor. I hear claims of some people dipping into the 4 digit mark on dyno's(pending reliability)

Aparently the "weap" point in a 2jz gte is the wrist pin? What are the "weak" points of a 2jz gte please?

Main reason for that question - is that my next car will have around 500hp @ the wheels. If thats in a GTR, it will def mean an N1 block, forged internals etc etc(around 15-20k), but aparently, a 2jzgte is able to make that reliably?

I have read numerous posts on here, and other forums

PS - Supra forums wont let me join!!! hasnt sent me a confirmation email!!

Thanks people!
Hybridtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

fastsupra is on a distinguished road

The 2JZ-GTE is more than capable to hold 500hp easily. If your wanting to know more information, here are links to a couple of questions previously asked by other supra owners. Pwpanas is the guy to look to for any help regarding upgrades and overall knowledge.

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...y-driving.html

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...questions.html
fastsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

2jz is good for way more then 500hp. But I heard the valve train can only take 600hp but I'm not sure. Also the stock 2jz internals are already forged
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyps307 View Post
2jz is good for way more then 500hp. But I heard the valve train can only take 600hp but I'm not sure. Also the stock 2jz internals are already forged
WOW. How can you be a member of this forum and be so uninformed???? Please read back through some of the other threads on this topic!

The 2jz-gTe is good for well over 1000hp, including the valve train. In fact, the record on an oem 2jz-gTe shortblock is ~1050rwhp (1,235hp at the crank). A number of race teams have used the oem pistons with aftermarket rods (Carillo) and put down over 1300rwhp.

Over 1000hp, the oem connecting rods can be the weak point (especially when using nitrous as a power adder). However, I strongly suspect that with proper tuning, a brand new 2jz-gte with oem rods & pistons, a ported head, aftermarket cams, the oem valve train, and a big (eg. 92mm) turbo (no nitrous) could hit 1200rwhp. Wish I could afford to bankroll that experiment!

The oem valve train fails at about 35psi of boost. Specifically, the intake-side oem valve springs are too weak to hold back that much boost, so they get blown open by the boost before being opened by the cams. This can lead to shims popping out (quite a bad thing). Although I don't have any hard data, most agree the oem valve train will also fail over about 8K rpm, again due to the relatively weak oem valve springs (again, shims can pop out). Stiffer valve springs (and/or dual valve springs) fixes those problems, but will likely reduce the service life of the engine. In other words, keep it under 35psi of boost and under 8k rpm, and there's no need to worry about the oem valve train.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-26-2012 at 01:40 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsupra View Post
The 2JZ-GTE is more than capable to hold 500hp easily. If your wanting to know more information, here are links to a couple of questions previously asked by other supra owners. Pwpanas is the guy to look to for any help regarding upgrades and overall knowledge.

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...y-driving.html

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...questions.html
Where is everyone getting this "500hp" figure? Honestly, there are NO 500hp limits on the entire Mkiv TT Supra, except maybe the oem twins, high mileage, run through an auto tranny. The oem fuel system, and the oem auto tranny itself are both good for far more than that! The oem 2jz-gTe can put out 1000hp (yes - really! No exaggeration whatsoever).

Thank you for your kind words. I just hate that I've failed everyone so badly here - I was certain I had posted that 1000hp figure over and over and over and over again. Sigh.

For example, here's a direct quote from that first link that you posted:
Quote:
700rwhp is a walk in the park for a bone-stock 2jz-gte!!! Really!!! In theory, you could even roadrace it at 900rwhp and it'd be just fine with oem bone-stock "internals"!!!"

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-26-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

What was I wrong about the valve train that's why I said I'm not sure about the valve train. Now that i have the correct info from u I can use that. By the way everybody is talking a 500hp because that the guy's goal. I know the 2jz-gte can take more then 1000hp and seen it.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridtheory View Post
...I hear claims of some people dipping into the 4 digit mark on dyno's(pending reliability)!...
No reliability issues whatsoever. If all you want is a dyno number, then you can hit four digits (on a chassis dyno) with the oem internals - all you need for internal mods is a ported head and aftermarket cams.
Quote:
...Aparently the "weap" point in a 2jz gte is the wrist pin? What are the "weak" points of a 2jz gte please?...
The oem connecting rods are the least strong component, and may fail with nitrous usage over 1000hp.
Quote:
...Main reason for that question - is that my next car will have around 500hp @ the wheels. If thats in a GTR, it will def mean an N1 block, forged internals etc etc(around 15-20k), but aparently, a 2jzgte is able to make that reliably?...
Yes. In fact, 1000hp, RELIABLY, is no issue whatsoever (850rwhp through the getrag V160 6spd)...using the oem internals. Of course, you'll need high octane race fuel, an aftermarket fuel system, an aftermarket single turbo kit, and some wider rims & rubber to hold the power.

Please review this info, and then let me know what follow-up questions you have. I believe that this will be an interesting discussion!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyps307 View Post
What was I wrong about the valve train that's why I said I'm not sure about the valve train. Now that i have the correct info from u I can use that. By the way everybody is talking a 500hp because that the guy's goal. I know the 2jz-gte can take more then 1000hp and seen it.
Ok my bad. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
Hybridtheory
Stock

Hybridtheory is on a distinguished road

Wow,

I really(REALLY) appreciate your guys answers to my questions.

Again, thanks for the detailed info/answers, AND the links.

I didnt know that the 2jz-gte is forged from factory(wow!)

What do you guys think of the rb motor's? Anyone own them before? Personally, I LOVE the sound, esp mine, as it has a Tomei Dump/Front pipe, so it really growls. Here is a clip(dont laugh, lol)
Thats with the factory ecu and only running 7psi - Around 180rwkw
Hybridtheory is offline   Reply With Quote