View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killongy View Post
( me English not so good but i understand majority) Now all of the compulsory tests have been done and the car was stripped and searched for rot Etc..

I am so freaking excited! I need to learn as much as possible about this model.
I currently drive a Impreza @ 365 whp so i know what a little power feels like.

My goals are 700 whp (feels a bit scary in my pops mustang but its addicting)
Street driveable
track on weekend (most likely Circuit)

Budget isnt really set as i dont know what im working with as yet but Wiling to fork out the bucks for the quality stuff..

What im lloking for now is rebuilding the internals of the 2jzgte so that it can handle those track days and while upgrading the power of the engine working on suspension as well.

Firstly where can i start for building the engine?
Rods, pistons etc...

Whats the process, brands Im like totaly new at this and any links would be great.
  1. If you don't mind me asking, which circuit track(s) will you be roadracing? Dover?
  2. I'd suggest that we agree on an overall plan for your build before we get into specific brands/links:

You asked "...where can i start for building the engine?...rods, pistons, etc.". The exact answer to this question is: nowhere.

Please allow me to explain. You should definitely NOT start by "rebuilding the internals". 100% for sure. Please, please, please, please (!!!) tell me why you think you need to start by "rebuilding the internals"???? 700rwhp is a walk in the park for a bone-stock 2jz-gte!!! Really!!! In theory, you could even roadrace it at 900rwhp and it'd be just fine with oem bone-stock "internals"!!! I MUST find out who keeps spreading the nasty rumors that the 2jz-gte internals need to be "rebuilt" in order to handle power. Who on earth told you that - where did you hear that or how did you get that impression? Please help me track down the source of this nasty rumor. Sigh.
Next, note that the bone-stock Mkiv TT suspension is also just fine for roadracing too!

To build a 700rwhp daily-driven + roadraced Mkiv TT, here's what you'll need:
  • Turbo kit (~67mm)
  • Aftermarket cams (264s)
  • Fuel system upgrade kit*
  • Engine management electronics (piggyback or ecu replacement)
  • Wider rims (9.5" front, 11.5" rear)
  • Aftermarket exhaust and midpipe
  • Aftermarket intercooler
  • Aftermarket clutch (assuming you'll be roadracing a 6spd)
  • Electronic Boost controller
  • A budget for race fuel (110 octane), or alcohol injection system
Aside from other minor odds-and-ends**, that's pretty much it. Notice my list has no "internals" (unless you want to count the cams). It also has no suspension upgrades. Again, both the oem 2jz-gte and the oem Mkiv TT suspension are just fine for roadracing. If you're super-serious about regularly roadracing, you'll eventually want to invest in some Penske's, Moton's, or Ohlins's...but to me, that's nothing you need to do on the initial 'build'.

*If you set your goals down a bit to ~650rwhp, you can even skip the fuel system completely and go with a big alcohol injection kit instead. This will save you $$$ on race fuel. However, if you have 750rwhp+ in mind eventually, there's no way around a full fuel system upgrade and race fuel.

**Other minor odds and ends include things for circuit track days like an aftermarket driver's seat (holds the driver in position better for roadracing), a 5-pt harness bar (and 5pt harness), roadrace tires (R-compound) for track use, special fluids (diff, coolant), etc.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-30-2010 at 09:15 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote