Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #51
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road
Default need help making power 94tt

]Step 1 - Define your Goal(s):
I would like to do a 10s pass.Was thinking of maybe doing a 1km run just for fun. Want to use her for dragracing.
At the moment i dont really want to strip to much and modify its to much of a nice car, only if its really neccesary, If i do deside to take it out on the road 2/3 times a month it wil be a short distance to show of my supra so can just put back road tires and drive it slow.
__________________________________________________ _________

Step 2 - Clearly define our starting point for the modifications:

So far the gearbox is out the intake is off and the turbos is off and the exhaust system. flywheel is also out. the previous owner modified the vacuum pipes on the oem twins but dit a bad job and i think the ox sensor was stuffed was very heavy on fuel. oem fuel system is still in would like to use the fuel cell.The turbo branch is in with only one bolt to see if the turbo wil fit.I do have a turbo but but its to small wil make it bigger or get a bigger one.wil take size and send it to you. wil send pictures.
I got the gotech pro x ecu,1200cc injectors for the e85.fuelrail,mines cam gears,fuel cell, fuel pressure regulator an the godspeed t4 branch.
__________________________________________________ ______

warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #52
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmkop View Post
]Step 1 - Define your Goal(s):
I would like to do a 10s pass.Was thinking of maybe doing a 1km run just for fun. Want to use her for dragracing.
At the moment i dont really want to strip to much and modify its to much of a nice car, only if its really neccesary, If i do deside to take it out on the road 2/3 times a month it wil be a short distance to show of my supra so can just put back road tires and drive it slow.
__________________________________________________ _________

Step 2 - Clearly define our starting point for the modifications:

So far the gearbox is out the intake is off and the turbos is off and the exhaust system. flywheel is also out. the previous owner modified the vacuum pipes on the oem twins but dit a bad job and i think the ox sensor was stuffed was very heavy on fuel. oem fuel system is still in would like to use the fuel cell.The turbo branch is in with only one bolt to see if the turbo wil fit.I do have a turbo but but its to small wil make it bigger or get a bigger one.wil take size and send it to you. wil send pictures.
I got the gotech pro x ecu,1200cc injectors for the e85.fuelrail,mines cam gears,fuel cell, fuel pressure regulator an the godspeed t4 branch.
__________________________________________________ ______
Thank you for the information you have provided. However, I do have more questions before we get started, numbered in red below:

1) Why would you would "like to use the fuel cell"? Safety? You know that, among other things, it'll drastically reduce the distance that you can drive your Supra, right? Why give this up? Also, it'll make your Supra smell terrible inside, since ...without a LOT of custom sheet-metal work...there won't be a layer of metal between it and the inside of the car, like there is with the oem fuel tank. To me, that also makes the set-up more dangerous, and really not that much more safe at all.
Summary: You said "dont really want to strip to much and modify its to much of a nice car, only if its really neccesary". You also said you would "like to use the fuel cell". These two statements are in direct conflict with each other, because the fuel cell is not necessary to achieve your goals.

2) What is a "godspeed T4 branch". Is this an exhaust header, kind of like this one?
http://www.auto-exhausts.com/blog/wp...bo_1jz_Gte.jpg

Define Goal(s):
- 10.x seconds in 1/4 mile
- No roadracing
- Occasional slow street driving

3) What is your speed/time goal for the "1km run"? If you don't care if (for example) it's bumping off the rev limiter for the last 1/4 of the 1km run, then we don't need to worry about this goal. However, if you want (for example) to hit a maximum top speed of 190mph, then it becomes an important consideration.

4) Nitrous oxide - is this available where you live (I would assume so, but please confirm). Are you willing to consider this as part of your drag racing solution, if it was one of the components of the most cost-effective setup?

Define Starting Point:

5) Would you be willing to sell your t4 header/"branch" and put your oem twins back on, IF we determined that was the least expensive way for you to achieve your goal(s)? ...or do you really, really want a single turbo Mkiv Supra? Either answer is okay with me, I just need to know what it is. If it matters at all, I'm 100% sure that we could definitely get your vacuum lines back to oem configuration, and get your oem twins working properly.

Note: It was probably "very heavy on fuel" because of a boost leak, and not because the ox sensor was "stuffed".

Recommendation: Please perform a leakdown test on your 2jz-gte and post (or PM) me the results.

Request: Please post picture(s) of your Supra as it sits right now.

6) Are you willing to sell any of these other parts, if it is determined that we really don't need them to meet your goal(s)?
"gotech pro x ecu,1200cc injectors for the e85.fuelrail,mines cam gears, fuel pressure regulator"

7) How much time, money and effort have you already invested in creating your custom flywheel? The reason I ask is because I believe we could find a way to get you one ready-to-go for a very affordable price. I'd rather have you invest time in unique modifications that will make your car go faster, rather than spending it on a part you can get off-the-shelf.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-23-2011 at 03:21 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #53
warmkop

1) Can use the oem fuel tank must just get one more pump in the system

2) Its basically that know its not a good make but the brand names are very expensive and cant find any 2nd hand ones.

Define Goal(s):
- 10.5 wil be very happy wit that.
- No roadracing
- street driving wil be like 3 times a month and not much further then 5km

3) would like a decend speed if not much of a change

4) nos is very difficult to full up and dont want to use it
Starting Point:

5) Would like to go single turbo.
must just get every thing ready for the leak down test

6)would like to use the parts i bought also the fuel is crap this side and seen good results with e85
7) Have not spend alot of time on the flywheel to busy at work.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #54
warmkop

Not sure wat size it is bought it off my friend it has a A/R 70 with a 57mm and the exhaust not sure the outlet is 70mm havent striped it to take size but wil make it bigger not a problem or sell it and get something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel pressure regulator.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	4363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo..jpg
Views:	181
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	4364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	4365   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo out.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	4366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	4367  

Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #55
warmkop

Wil take some pictures this weekend off my supra must just push her out the garage.And the AR on the exhaust im also not sure there is no marking to indicate size would gess so .63.Some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ecu.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	4368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pressure plate.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	4369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuelrail.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	4370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Injectors and AF sensor.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	4371   Click image for larger version

Name:	cam gears.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	4372  

Old 11-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #56
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
1) Can use the oem fuel tank must just get one more pump in the system...
Thank goodness. Putting a second fuel pump into the oem fuel tank is quite simple:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fue...DualPumps2.jpg
Please go ahead and sell that fuel cell.
Quote:
...2) Its basically that know its not a good make but the brand names are very expensive and cant find any 2nd hand ones....
Please post up a picture of it.
Quote:
...3) would like a decend speed if not much of a change...
Please be more specific. What is a "decent speed" to you? 150mph? 175mph? "a decent speed" is too subjective, so we would either have to competely ignore that goal during the build, or you need to decide much more exactly what you want to achieve.
Quote:
...4) nos is very difficult to full up and dont want to use it...
Hmmmm. This could significantly impact the cost. To me "very difficult" is not the same thing as impossible. Personlly, I would put up with something difficult if it meant saving a significant amount of money...
Quote:
5) Would like to go single turbo....
Okay, but is this a build requirement, or not? If we could save money by getting you into the 10s without a single turbo, would you consider it?
Quote:
...6)would like to use the parts i bought also the fuel is crap this side and seen good results with e85...
okay, but what about the gotech pro x ecu? Would you sell that if it turns out we don't need it at all?
Also, please post a link where I can learn more about this ecu.
Quote:
...7) Have not spend alot of time on the flywheel to busy at work.
Ok. Please post a picture of how far you've gotten on this project.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #57
warmkop

Default need help making power94tt

one of the oem turbo wastgate port is starting to crack so need to replace them and would rather use a single turbo
I really dont think im gone be able to get the oem ecu tuned here and the web addres is www.gotech .co.za

The flywheel is stil a piece of solid alliminium must stil start with it.
Dont worry about the speed of the 1km then wil just see wat speed it gets on the 1/4 setup.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #58
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
one of the oem turbo wastgate port is starting to crack so need to replace them and would rather use a single turbo
I really dont think im gone be able to get the oem ecu tuned here and the web addres is www.gotech .co.za

The flywheel is stil a piece of solid alliminium must stil start with it.
Dont worry about the speed of the 1km then wil just see wat speed it gets on the 1/4 setup.
The oem ecu can't be tuned - at least not without extensive (and expensive and impractical imho) internal modifications - so I agree that's not an option at all, anywhere. However, just because the oem ecu can't be tuned, that doesn't mean you should tear it out. There are several good choices for relatively inexpensive and easy-to-tune fuel controllers (aka 'piggyback' ecus) that leverage/retain all of the oem ecu's tuning. For example, have you considered this device?
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/afcneo.html
If you can find one used, it should be quite affordable. Unless you object, I'll recommend you sell that gotech ecu, and install an afc neo - okay? Let's call that TSI modification#1 for your project.

Note: I'm assuming you'll sell the fuel cell, the gotech ecu, and anything else we don't use - right????

TSI Modification#2 will be to get your turbo situation squared away. Even a relatively small single turbo will get you into the 10s, so let's go ahead and use that 57mm, .70 a/r turbo you've already got, on that godspeed header. Install it all with a Tial wastegate, and run all hoses and lines.

Preferred alternative: Purchase and install a 100% complete turbo kit:
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...-98_Supra/3627
Also install an HKS S-Type intercooler (or equivalent).

TSI Modification#3: Finish your fuel system upgrades: Put a second oem (Denso) fuel pump into your tank. Run a brand new 12 volt circuit with a relay for your second fuel pump all the way from the battery (do NOT splice your oem fuel pump wiring except as a trigger for the relay or your wiring will overheat inside your fuel tank - this is a very bad thing). Run a new, separate -6AN line from that 2nd pump to the engine, with an in-line -6AN fuel filter. Run the oem fuel line to one side of your fuel rail, and the new -6AN line to the other side of your fuel filter. Run a new line from the center of the fuel rail to your aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, and run the output of the regulator to your oem fuel return line. Install the rail with your 1200cc injectors. Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.

Preferred alternative: Get a 100% complete fuel system:
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...DAY_SALE___/17

TSI Modification#4: I need more info here...what was wrong with your oem clutch and/or your oem flywheel? Also, you posted a pic of a what looks like a new pressure plate - what brand is it?
For a 10 second pass, you'll need an aftermarket pressure plate (with greater pressure than the oem pressure plate), and an aftermarket clutch disk - the one you posted up looks fine. Either a new oem flywheel or an aftermarket flywheel will do fine. If it's not too late, I'd opt for a steel flywheel rather than an aluminum one - you need mass in the flywheel to keep the wheels spinning off launch and in between shifts. A flywheel that's too light will allow the driveline to lose too many rpm too quickly, and will make for a poor drag race setup.

---At this point, your Supra should be fully reassembled---

TSI Modification#5: Fill with E85, and tune the AFC Neo and the aftermarket FPR until it runs. Don't tune any specific RPM ranges yet - just the overall baseline. You may need to change the MAF input to 1/2 (the AFC has a setting for this), which will reduce the volume of fuel squirted into the engine by 1/2...which may be all you need as a starting point, along with a base fuel pressure of about 35psi (oem base is 44psi). Oh, be sure you install a boost gauge and an air/fuel gauge (either wideband, or one that uses the oem O2 sensor). An EGT gauge would be good/useful too.

TSI Modification#6: Install wider rear rims. The cheapest option here is to get your oem 17"x8" front rims widened to 17"x11" (3" wider), and then move them to the rear with spacers. Put the oem 17"x9.5" rear rims on the front, trimming the caliper lip if necessary. Get some 315 BFG drag radials to put on the 17"x11" rear rims. Please refer to this tech article:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ned/index.html

TSI Modification#7: Install aftermarket rear springs - preferrably Eibach. They have progressive resistance, and they lower your Supra by about an inch. I'm sure you can find these used.

After these mods, you'll need to get it dyno-tuned and get it running reliably. Then we can 'tweak' the final configuration before you head to the drag strip.

Please let me know your thoughts about this 7-step plan. We can modify it, but we need to do it together - okay?

P.S. Don't forget the leakdown test.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-27-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #59
warmkop

Default Need help making power 94 TT

TSI modification#1
That neo do you wire it in or is it plug in.Just asking wat is the reason for not using the gotech or is the oem ecu that good. what about al the old sensors wont it make problems on the ecu if its disconnected. Just have a look at this chip.
http://www.dastekpower.com/home.htm

TSI Modification#2 Forgot i do have a wastegate will sent pics

TSI Modification#3: Do i need to upgrade the oem fuel pump or is it okay

TSI Modification#4: The clutch was on its wear limit.Took the clutch in and made it 5 puck button.The pressure plate is also made stronger
The old oem flywheel is very loose can turn it 45 degrees still need a flywheel.

My readings last time was 155 but our atmospheric pressure is 85kpa can be the reason its lower.

Last edited by warmkop; 11-27-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #60
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
TSI modification#1
That neo do you wire it in or is it plug in.Just asking wat is the reason for not using the gotech or is the oem ecu that good. what about al the old sensors wont it make problems on the ecu if its disconnected. Just have a look at this chip.
http://www.dastekpower.com/home.htm...
You wire the AFC Neo into the MAF circuit. The oem ecu is very good for anything up to about 750rwhp - a piggyback like the AFC Neo is all you need. The oem ecu offers excellent forced induction performance and driveability, with minimal tuning. With any standalone ecu it's going to be a lot of work just to get it up and running...never mind dealing with cold-starting/hot-starting, gas mileage, stalling, and building the fuel and timing curves from scratch. You can avoid all of these headaches by maximizing the thousands of engineering hours Toyota put into the oem ecu.

That dastekpower unichip seems okay except there's no Mkiv Supra Turbo application.
Quote:
...TSI Modification#3: Do i need to upgrade the oem fuel pump or is it okay...
Each oem denso fuel pump can relaibly push about 550rwhp worth of gasoline or about 320rwhp worth of E85 (6spd)
Quote:
TSI Modification#4: The clutch was on its wear limit.Took the clutch in and made it 5 puck button.The pressure plate is also made stronger
The old oem flywheel is very loose can turn it 45 degrees still need a flywheel....
Why not a new Toyota flywheel? It's great for both drag racing AND regular street driving.
Quote:
My readings last time was 155 but our atmospheric pressure is 85kpa can be the reason its lower.
155 isn't great, regardless of atm. Again, a new 2jz-gte reads over 170psi. A leakdown test will give you better information about the true condition of your engine, and the effort is easily justified for your case.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-27-2011 at 10:18 PM.