Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
2jzFUN
Stock

2jzFUN is on a distinguished road

I picked up a project car that has 6 cylinders and 2 turbos (for now). Should be fun.

Got the main and rod bearings along with the thrust washers. Next will be pistons and rods.

Picked up a nice cam plug cover, rear kyb agx shocks and some Crower rods but the rods are for sale since I have ordered another option of rods at the moment.

Well the motor and trans are out! Thanks a million to Brandon for busting ass and a few knuckles on helping me get this hog out of there. Now the fun begins. Here are a few photos.

I got a good deal and wanted another project. This car isnt perfect by any means but thats what I wanted. Something cheaper and needed some work. I have the front bumper and the side skirts and am going to keep them off because when I get to it, im going to go over the entire car and get it repainted. It is a 1993.5 targa tt auto. Ya Ya ya its an auto but it will be a fun auto. I am looking into a manual swap but the auto does not bother me right now.

I'm going to go through the motor and everything else when it is out. I will also sooner or later make it a single turbo and try and get some power out of it. I needed a change from DSM's so why not this.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-24-2010 at 08:10 PM.
2jzFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
2jzFUN
Stock

I just wanted to say thanks to www.maperformance.com for all of the help and service they have given me so far on this car. They have helped me order all of that parts and wonderful deals. Even know they do not yet have Toyota on their website, I just called them up with what I need or a part number and they get for me at awesome prices! MAP will be the main supplier for all of the parts I need and also the service for the car like rebuilding the motor as well.

Well a buddy and I started taking the power plant out of this thing and I tell you this is a bunch of crap literally. This is quite different then the DSM's I am used to. I'm going to put all of the useless garbage in a 55 gallon garbage can and see how much shit was not needed and the weight savings of it all too. We worked on it for at least 5-6 hours and I would say have it half to 3/4 out.

I also ordered custom made CP 9.5:1 compression pistons Thanks MAP. The engine is going to WWW.MAPERFORMANCE.COM to be torn down, machined, bored over, looked at, this and that, and re-assembled.

The next steps are to actually get the engine out, bring it to MAP, tear all of the stuff off and out of the car for a full paint job, order cams, valves, springs and retainers, gaskets, turbo, manifold, tuning software of choice, piping for a custom 3" intercooler and 3.5" exhaust setup, tires... ok Im stopping right there because I can already see this thing costing me but it will be worth it. Photos of progress to follow.

Well some updates here. The motor was out and taken apart from the tranny and all of the other goodies off of it so it was a bare long block. I brought it into MAP for it to be hot tanked, machined, and assembled. The first thing that they is doing to it is tearing it all apart which I think is already done. Getting it ready for the machining and assembly of the short block is next on the list. Some more decisions as far as parts go and a little more $ and Ill be able to start into the head.

The block will be built with Manley Turbo-Tough rods. It will also have CP custom ordered 9.5:1 compression pistons, ARP main studs, and all ACL race main and rod bearings as well as thrust washers.

I am trying to figure out when my choice of a 6765 journal bearing Precision turbo will spool on my setup so I can figure out the best torque converter for the street and strip where I do not have to use n02 to spool.

I got in my custom CP pistons from www.maperformance.com which went really smoothly. They were custom spec 9.5:1 compression ratio CP pistons. I also decided not to go with the Crower rods I have and to instead go with Manley Turbo-Tough rods which will handle my goal of building the motor.

Also the pistons are in tor process of getting 3 different coatings applied to them and can't wait for photos from them! Rods will be here soon too.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-24-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
2jzFUN
Stock

Here is a quick shot of the crank that came back from cleaning and polishing.

Here are the pistons ready for a series of different coatings being applied to them.
Here is a link to the process being done from the place coating the pistons. Piston Coating Here
I am also having the oil shedding applied to them as well for more street use and longevity.

Block machining has been started

Old 12-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
2jzFUN
Stock

Well I think that I am going to go with a set of gsc s2 cams, slight port clean up job on the head (stage 3), and I just need to figure out what valves and springs are the best. Shimless buckets? This is new to me so ill be reading up on the best combination.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzFUN View Post
Well I think that I am going to go with a set of gsc s2 cams, slight port clean up job on the head (stage 3), and I just need to figure out what valves and springs are the best. Shimless buckets? This is new to me so ill be reading up on the best combination.
Shimless buckets are cool, but only needed if you'll be running really high rpms (>10K).

In general, 9s is easily doable - on the oem shortblock (yep, I mean 100% bone-stock)! Did MA Performance mislead you to think you needed to build the shortblock for this project?

Again, there's no need to build the engine at all - just slap in a set of 272 cams! After that, all you you need is a moderately large single turbo (eg 74mm+), fuel system, AEM, TH400, slicks&skinnies. Maybe a small shot of nos to spool, and disconnect the front swaybar. That's about it for '9s in-a-box' with the Mkiv Supra Turbo.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-05-2010 at 03:55 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
2jzFUN
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Shimless buckets are cool, but only needed if you'll be running really high rpms (>10K).

In general, 9s is easily doable - on the oem shortblock (yep, I mean 100% bone-stock)! Did MA Performance mislead you to think you needed to build the shortblock for this project?

Again, there's no need to build the engine at all - just slap in a set of 272 cams! After that, all you you need is a moderately large single turbo (eg 74mm+), fuel system, AEM, TH400, slicks&skinnies. Maybe a small shot of nos to spool, and disconnect the front swaybar. That's about it for '9s in-a-box' with the Mkiv Supra Turbo.
No misleading here. This is my first supra and I am building everything for more power and a great street car so everything will be done from the ground up in case I go for more power later. I am the one having them do what is being done and maperformance is just there to do the work for me. The engine smoked a little so a complete rebuild was in order anyways. I am going with a built stock trans and pro efi instead of other choices which I feel will be great for what I am looking for.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
92FoxBody
Stock

92FoxBody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post

My friend said his buddy's supra is pumping 1,200RWHP and only has under 10,000$ into the car...Sound like B.S or what? He always touts how it spanks 1,000cc bikes from a roll...Anway. Too off topic. Nice build man, keep it up!

P.S- That does not include the actual car..

Last edited by 92FoxBody; 12-06-2010 at 11:27 PM.
92FoxBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
2jzFUN
Stock

Ya I dont want to think how much I will have into this car but it will be a project for a while and I am in no hurry to get it done. I will be doing everything on this car the first time and be done with it so it may take 2 years.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
2jzFUN
Stock

The pistons are done! Looks like they used my pistons for the photo on their website too Thanks MAP!

http://www.maperformance.com/map-dry...n-coating.html

Old 12-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzFUN View Post
The pistons are done! Looks like they used my pistons for the photo on their website too Thanks MAP!

http://www.maperformance.com/map-dry...n-coating.html
Fwiw, I used these guys for my piston coatings:
http://www.hpcoatings.com/hpc_antifriction.aspx

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote