Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 02-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Soulofdarkness
Stock

Soulofdarkness is on a distinguished road
Post Supra Project car.

Sorry its long, but it has cliff notes at the end.

Hello all!

I just joined this site, and I'm looking for some info. I currently own a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Stage 1, soon to be Stage 2. I was never a car person before I got this one, and once I started to find out how much fun working and modifying cars was I started to think about working on other cars as well. So my goal is that when I get my WRX done (Paid off and Stage 4) I want to get another car and work on it. So what I'm hoping to do is be able to find a Toyota Supra MKIV ('93-'98), N/A or Turbo, Auto or Manual. I would rather it be the Turbo, and a Manual, but I don't mind swapping parts. So I have a few questions, First because it’s a project car, and I don’t have a career yet (Still in college,) I was hoping to find a Supra that the insurance company totaled (Blown Engine/Tranny, Flood damage, accident (No frame damage), ect.) What are the chances of finding a car like this and how much would it cost? If those are hard to find, how much is a high mileage 1993-1998 Supra unmodified (Again any combo of N/A, Turbo, Auto, or Manual)? Also I'm not looking for a dyno queen, drifter, or a straight up crazy drag car, but I will be doing these if I can find a place to learn how to do it. I'm manly making one for a Sunday driver/Nice day for a long drive kind of car. My WRX I'm looking at about 300 AWHP, which I feel is more than enough for it to be a Daily Driver, what kind of WHP is it for supras when they start to become unfun/unpractical for just around the town/back road driving? Also I know with WRXs (Not STis) that the stock engine, and tranny can go if do easy n00b mistakes (but that’s how it is for any car), but with Supras, I've heard that the bottom end is good for 1000 HPish Stock, is this correct? But what trouble spots should I be looking out for? Also how do the Trannys/Axels hold up? If you can think of any other good n00b info please tell me. I WANT TO LEARN!!! Also this wont be happening until I graduate (Spring of '07) if not for a few years after that. So I will be snooping around this and these types of sites to get all the info I can, so are there any other good sites you can recommend?

Thanks for your time to read this,

Adam Moore

Cliff Notes (For those who don’t want to read it all).

I have a 2002 WRX, looking at getting a MKIV Supra for a project car. Prices of Blown engine/Tranny/flood damage/accident cars (with no frame damage). Or High mileage non modded MKIV Supras, N/A, Turbo, Auto, Manual (Turbo, Manual wanted though). WHP border line of comfort driving around town. Pit falls to watch out for when modding, and stock parts power limits. Plus any other info you feel is important. Also I WANT TO LEARN so any info is good info.
Soulofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #2
WiseAssJester
3" Exhaust

WiseAssJester is on a distinguished road

Supras are very expensive. Particularly, from what I've seen, the newest generation.

The 2jz motor is also quite the powerhouse, but from what I can tell on the streets and on dyno's, they make what my friends and I call "honda torque," or "butt torque." Meaning less then prefferable.

I've never driven a newer Supra, but if they're half the car the MK3 is, then they're damn nice cars. Comfortable, responsive, well designed. Overall, twerties.

** Torque is in reference to low end torque. IE: Low RPM.

Last edited by WiseAssJester; 03-01-2006 at 02:22 AM.
WiseAssJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
Troyota
3" Exhaust

Troyota is on a distinguished road

An inline engine will generally make more torque than a V type engine. When you talk about high power Supra's the problem isn't lack of torque in fact quite the opposite. The problem tends to be how to get the power and torque to the ground w/o frying your tires off.
Troyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
TRAFIK
3" Exhaust

TRAFIK is on a distinguished road

Your post really confused me.

honda torque?
butt torque?

Especialy the "Half the car of a mk3" referance.

are you new?
what do you drive?

--===Give me 2jz-Gte or give me death!===--
TRAFIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Posey
Stock

Posey is on a distinguished road

From what I hear the 2jz is an awesome motor, I've seen dyno videos over 1000+ rwhp with a twin turbo setup MKIV. Also from what I've seen 93'-94' N/A MKIV supra can run you quite a bit upwards of $17,000 not to mention if you want a low mileage turbo, or maybe even a twin turbo nice nice MKIV then you are looking at $40,000+. Haha they are nice cars but personally I find the MKIII style more aggressive and a little easier on the wallet. And hell if I can get my 7mgte to over 500 rwhp who the hell needs a MKIV

And by easier on the wallet I do mean quite a bit easier. I bought my 86.5 N/A from a guy for $650 with no body damage but a blown engine (perfect). Later I paid $978.75 for my low mileage 7mgte JDM motor.

Good luck
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

he said he wanted either a beat up/crashed or high mileage supra, for a project car. And i do agree...if they spent the same time designing the mk4 as they did on the 3, id bet it is a really nice car. i wish i could have had one back in 86 or 87, when they first came out. would have been sweet!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
Soulofdarkness
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseAssJester
The 2jz motor is also quite the powerhouse, but from what I can tell on the streets and on dyno's, they make what my friends and I call "honda torque," or "butt torque." Meaning less then prefferable.

** Torque is in reference to low end torque. IE: Low RPM.
Wow... I'm sorry this post confused even me... I don't see how the Inline 6 of the supra can make Honda torque... They are 3 liters correct? From what I know most Hondas are only around 2 (Displacement is usually what makes Torque if I remember correctly)... If they are on an N/A with low compression heads, I can see low torque figures... But on the Twin-turbo models, how do you figure?.. I've been in a STi and its only 2.5 Liters with a VF-39 and has just gobs of Torque... Maybe they have huge turbos and its all the turbo lag? I dunno...

Thanks for the replies. But anyone have some other good info for me? I'm really egar to find out what I will get myself into. So everyone please chime in.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-15-2006, 12:07 AM   #8
Soulofdarkness
Stock

Bump.

Any one else wanna chime in?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:50 AM   #9
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Just Get The MKIII

mkIII is easy on the insurance the same coverage on the mkIIII that you will pay for at least close to 300 dollars you will pay less than half of that if u get an mkIII and like the other guy said you dont need a MKIIII with a 2jz if your only gonna use it for recreation, a simple n/a mkIII will do the job for you low insurance, and yet has big tuning potencial

and jus to answer that guy comment about having problem putting high horsepower to the ground

get yourself a stage 5 clutch a lightweight yet sturdy flywheel and a diffrential
tuning it might be a bitch but get it right you will be smoking a s#!t load of riced out cars on the street or on the strip
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #10
TRAFIK
3" Exhaust

TRAFIK is on a distinguished road

To continue this post, MKIV's are expensive ,rare, and expensive to insure.
Also very realible even when putting down LARGE hp numbers that the stock 2jz-gte takes like a walk in the park. Overall the car is NOT a cheap toy.
Depending on what you need or want you should ask yourself and get your priorities in order and make a decision. We have a saying around here
"if you have to ask, dont get it"

MKIII on the other hand are a little less cheaper to insure, easier to find and buy parts for. To me a awesome car with great potntial and super fun no matter how you look at it. I owned a 86.5 white N/A auto as my first car targa and everything ( mint ) then down the road I got myself a 93 red MKIV that I wouldent trade for the world and I still miss my MKIII ,when I come back from europe this Fall I got 5 K saved up and I am getting myself a nice clean MKIII and I will be in supra heaven. Both cars are sweet and to me top shelf sports rides with many adventages that get a lot of attention and respect more then other cars. Depending on your budget mostly the choice is up to you.

--===Give me 2jz-Gte or give me death!===--

Last edited by TRAFIK; 04-22-2006 at 06:34 AM.
TRAFIK is offline   Reply With Quote