Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
TTSupra-Alex
Stock

TTSupra-Alex is on a distinguished road

Hey bud, where did you get your supra from? And, how much exactly did you spend on the car alone?

I'm asking because im interested in a supra project, but i just cant seem to find one for under $4k.
TTSupra-Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSupra-Alex View Post
Hey bud, where did you get your supra from?...
Toyota

Quote:
...And, how much exactly did you spend on the car alone?...
About $45K, brand-new. I negotiated with them pretty hard - they originally wanted $50K.

Quote:
...I'm asking because im interested in a supra project, but i just cant seem to find one for under $4k.
Not surprising at all. To me, that's like saying you can't find a Ferrari for under $4K. Ain't gonna happen... *shrug*

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
2jzFUN
Stock

2jzFUN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey bud, where did you get your supra from? And, how much exactly did you spend on the car alone?

I'm asking because im interested in a supra project, but i just cant seem to find one for under $4k.
I would say you are going to have a hard time even finding a totaled burnt to the ground turbo supra for under $4k. You may want to look into the mid 80's supras for that price.
2jzFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Fuel Injector Clinic
Stock

Fuel Injector Clinic is on a distinguished road
Default Nice build

Nice build!

MaPerformance
Fuel Injector Clinic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #15
2jzFUN
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Injector Clinic View Post
Nice build!

MaPerformance
Thanks, we will be talking. I need more fuel and you have that for me!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #16
2jzFUN
Stock

Well the short block is assembled and now I will be moving onto the process of building the head. The block consists of the following

-stock block
-stock crank
-ARP main studs
-ACL race main and rod bearings
-Custom 9.5:1 .020 over CP pistons with ceramic and oil shed coating
-Manley Turbo-tough rods oil shed coated

Photos to come.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzFUN View Post
Well the short block is assembled and now I will be moving onto the process of building the head. The block consists of the following

-stock block
-stock crank
-ARP main studs
-ACL race main and rod bearings
-Custom 9.5:1 .020 over CP pistons with ceramic and oil shed coating
-Manley Turbo-tough rods oil shed coated

Photos to come.
Just curious - how did you decide on 9.5:1 as your CR? That's really pushing the edge as far as boostability...you'll likely have to run pure (i.e. don't blend with pump gas) VERY high octane race fuel ($$$$$$$$) if you're planning to make a lot of power from your boost.

Before you bolt on your head, consider a thicker-than-oem headgasket to help compensate for this (to me) overly-high CR.

Also, before you bolt on your head, consider modifying your block for 1/2" head studs OR be sure to get L19 studs. Oem-thickness regular ARP studs won't hold 40+ psi of boost.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-02-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
2jzFUN
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Just curious - how did you decide on 9.5:1 as your CR? That's really pushing the edge as far as boostability...you'll likely have to run pure (i.e. don't blend with pump gas) VERY high octane race fuel ($$$$$$$$) if you're planning to make a lot of power from your boost.

Before you bolt on your head, consider a thicker-than-oem headgasket to help compensate for this (to me) overly-high CR.

Also, before you bolt on your head, consider modifying your block for 1/2" head studs OR be sure to get L19 studs. Oem-thickness regular ARP studs won't hold 40+ psi of boost.
Nope I have this all figured out for what I want. I am doing e85 all the time so 9.5:1 will work perfect for me all of the time. I will not be using any type of a thicker head gasket or anything and I am doing l19 head studs. And just because I am doing high compression doesnt mean I am running 40+psi. This is going to be a well powered street car where the power band and driveability is more on the lower end and not a rev monster. More updates to follow.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
k_tieu
Stock

k_tieu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzFUN View Post
Nope I have this all figured out for what I want. I am doing e85 all the time so 9.5:1 will work perfect for me all of the time. I will not be using any type of a thicker head gasket or anything and I am doing l19 head studs. And just because I am doing high compression doesnt mean I am running 40+psi. This is going to be a well powered street car where the power band and driveability is more on the lower end and not a rev monster. More updates to follow.

thats alot of money !
k_tieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_tieu View Post
thats alot of money !
Why would you say that? Don't you know you need to "pay to play"? In other words, the high performance car 'game' ... for the most part ... is not one you can effectively participate in cheaply. If you want a cheaper hobby, try something like swimming or chess. Heck, warcraft is only $15 for a full month of mob-killing pleasure!

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-10-2011 at 09:41 PM.