Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
kylej
Stock

kylej is on a distinguished road

So would it be cheaper to just go bpu++++ and make what I can, like 400whp or 425 or whatever I'll get or single turbo and make 500whp?
kylej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylej View Post
So would it be cheaper to just go bpu++++ and make what I can, like 400whp or 425 or whatever I'll get or single turbo and make 500whp?
Correct. However, with a single turbo you get to choose 500whp, 650whp, 800whp, etc... In other words, most folks who go single turbo aren't content with only 500whp.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
kylej
Stock

How much more expensive would a single turbo upgrade be? And if I chose to go bpu++++ this year how much money would I waste going single next year?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
How much more expensive would a single turbo upgrade be?...
A single turbo kit is at least $4K (average is closer to $5500 or so). You can spend much more than that, depending on exactly what turbo you want to go with the kit. Just to give you a reference, the turbo itself can range from $1000 for a small, older-style turbo ... up to to $5,000 for just the turbo if you want the latest-and-greatest cutting edge technology big turbo. If you want it all chromed and ceramic coated, you'll spend even more.
Quote:
...And if I chose to go bpu++++ this year how much money would I waste going single next year?
It depends. Are we talking a 500rwhp single turbo kit or an 800rwhp turbo kit?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-26-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
kylej
Stock

How much would a 600rwhp kit compared to a 800whp kit vary? And how much more expensive are they than bpu++++?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
How much would a 600rwhp kit compared to a 800whp kit vary? And how much more expensive are they than bpu++++?
The kits wouldn't differ that much in price, depending on the technology level you chose Note: newer technology kits spool up quicker at the same horsepower level.

The big things that would change are the additional components that would have to be upgraded to get you to 800whp...or the change in price for the items you did upgrade. The clutch and intercooler, for example, both are much more expensive at the 800rwhp+ level. At the 800rwhp+ level you need much wider rims, and a standalone ecu setup (eg. AEM). Tuning, and the proportion of race fuel you need to run becomes more expensive too.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-26-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #17
kylej
Stock

Could you estime the price of bpu++++, 650whp set up and 800whp setup?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Could you estime the price of bpu++++, 650whp set up and 800whp setup?
Do you care how it looks? Chroming, coatings, etc., etc. can add up to a lot. Are you going to be doing the labor yourself for the installs, or will you be paying someone?

Parts only: BPU+++ would be at least $3k. 650rwhp (6spd) would be about $12K-$15K (you'll need a fuel system and wider rims), and 800whp would be about $20K-$25K. The labor for these installs, dyno-tuning, etc. would be significant, since you should only use someone with extensive, verifiable 2jz-gte and extensive, verifiable 800+rwhp experience. Typically, a shop with that kind of expertise isn't cheap. Oh, and don't forget to maintain an ongoing budget for race fuel.

Again, have you read these two threads from the MKIV FAQ?

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-26-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
kylej
Stock

yes, I have read those two threads.

I would be doing the labor myself, so that it not a problem, the tuning I would still need to pay for, however. I may just go BPU++++ this year, and then next year beef it up to 650, and resell the parts that I would need to change. Would this be a major inconveniece? Like what parts would I have to sell, I mean.. I could get the intercooler/cams etc right now and prepare for next year with just the stock twins still, then next year just get the turbo kit?

No I don't care how it looks, If I did I could polish it etc myself, I have the equipment available for chroming as well.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...I may just go BPU++++ this year, and then next year beef it up to 650, and resell the parts that I would need to change. Would this be a major inconveniece? Like what parts would I have to sell, I mean.. I could get the intercooler/cams etc right now and prepare for next year with just the stock twins still, then next year just get the turbo kit?...
Downpipe, bov mount/hoses, intercooler piping (turbo side), boost controller hoses, etc. Not a horribly big deal or anything - just letting you know everything you're getting yourself into. Be sure to get an intercooler and BOV big enough to handle 650rwhp so you don't have to change these out too.