Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Humba
Stock
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 4
Humba is on a distinguished road
Default Max safe long straight performance in a road race?

Hi, im thinking of a hypothetical race.

The race would be driven in a street course. It would have normal corners etc, but also one very long straight.. say one mile long. Now, I would want to do one qualifying lap, and after that a 30-40 lap race. The only requirement for the car would be only to achieve maximum speed in this very long straight. No cornering or 1/4 mile performance would be needed, even tough we would be driving against time in qualifying and against each others in the race.

What kind of horsepower is it possible to run in qualifying without destroying the engine? What about race? What kind of top speeds would it be possible to achieve in the long straight with this safe amount of power when the car is optimized only for long straight performance? We would have 100 000 - 200 000 dollar budget (yeah right..)

Last edited by Humba; 12-20-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Humba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner
 
pwpanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 2,209
pwpanas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humba View Post
Hi, im thinking of a hypothetical race.

The race would be driven in a street course. It would have normal corners etc, but also one very long straight.. say one mile long. Now, I would want to do one qualifying lap, and after that a 30-40 lap race. The only requirement for the car would be only to achieve maximum speed in this very long straight. No cornering or 1/4 mile performance would be needed, even tough we would be driving against time in qualifying and against each others in the race.

What kind of horsepower is it possible to run in qualifying without destroying the engine? What about race? What kind of top speeds would it be possible to achieve in the long straight with this safe amount of power when the car is optimized only for long straight performance? We would have 100 000 - 200 000 dollar budget (yeah right..)
In my experience, for the $100K price tag you could make an Mkiv TT that could really excel in this kind of race, easily and repeatedly and reliably hitting 700rwhp+ and 175mph+ in the "long straight" (I'm considering some room for braking at the end - let's say at least 1/8th of a mile or so). For a $200K budget in theory 200mph may be possible in the "long straight", and 800-850rwhp would be your power level.

Oh, and with an Mkiv TT you'd automatically get very decent cornering performance too - no way around that.

Interesting discussion - let's keep it going!
__________________
Phil '94 Supra Turbo, 6spd, 'APU'+
Displacement is no replacement for boost.
Life begins at 30psi.


NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-21-2008 at 09:42 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Humba
Stock
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 4
Humba is on a distinguished road
Default

Is it possible to run the engine with a higher hp level in qualifying if only one lap would be driven? Then the engine would be tuned to lower level for the race. What if we make the straight longer. Like 1,5 miles. From the corner that leads to the straight the speed would be already 60 mph. I guess the acceleration is very slow near the end due to the friction forces from air and drivetrain, tires etc. Would it be possible to drive over 200mph speeds in qualifying?
Humba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner
 
pwpanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 2,209
pwpanas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humba View Post
...Would it be possible to drive over 200mph speeds in qualifying?
In short, yes. In fact, I'm pretty sure that in my previous post I stated that with your $200K-ish budget, 200mph is no problem.

Additional RPM, boost, horsepower, etc. is not the problem during the 1 or 1.5 mile straightaway, it's heat dissipation. Oh, and you'll also need one hell of a 12 point roll cage or there's not a track in the world that'll approve your vehicle for those kinds of speeds...
__________________
Phil '94 Supra Turbo, 6spd, 'APU'+
Displacement is no replacement for boost.
Life begins at 30psi.


NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-22-2008 at 04:25 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
Humba
Stock
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 4
Humba is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
In short, yes. In fact, I'm pretty sure that in my previous post I stated that with your $200K-ish budget, 200mph is no problem.
Yes I asked because I didn't know did you mean 200mph repeatedly in the race or just qualifying. Thanks for answering. And also, I would definately put a roll cage in to a car that is going to be driven in track, regardless the speed.

Last edited by Humba; 12-23-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Humba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner
 
pwpanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 2,209
pwpanas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humba View Post
Yes I asked because I didn't know did you mean 200mph repeatedly in the race or just qualifying. Thanks for answering. And also, I would definately put a roll cage in to a car that is going to be driven in track, regardless the speed.
For the $200K budget, 200mph repeatedly would not be an issue.
__________________
Phil '94 Supra Turbo, 6spd, 'APU'+
Displacement is no replacement for boost.
Life begins at 30psi.


NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
Humba
Stock
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 4
Humba is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
For the $200K budget, 200mph repeatedly would not be an issue.
If you think qualifying and race, is there any way you could make the car to go little faster in qualifying so that 200mph could be done with a 100k budget? Or is the heat dissipation problem such that it is possible to drive only same speeds in quali than in race?
Humba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner
 
pwpanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 2,209
pwpanas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humba View Post
If you think qualifying and race, is there any way you could make the car to go little faster in qualifying so that 200mph could be done with a 100k budget? Or is the heat dissipation problem such that it is possible to drive only same speeds in quali than in race?
Honestly it depends on a lot, including how much of the work you do yourself. If you're going to dump it off at a go-fast shop and tell them you want an Mkiv TT that can roadrace at 200mph, they'll probably laugh if you say your entire budget for everything (including the car) is only $100K. However, if you're very careful (i.e. frugal) with part selection, you do tons and tons of research, and you do almost all of the work yourself, you don't care a lot how it looks (i.e. you don't mind if it doesn't show well, etc.)... then yes, you might be able to create such a beast for $100K-ish. Again, there are a LOT of variables in your quesition so in short, yes it is possible.
__________________
Phil '94 Supra Turbo, 6spd, 'APU'+
Displacement is no replacement for boost.
Life begins at 30psi.


NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serious Help Needed on Swap. Race Car. Long Sorry. Zeff MKII Supra 0 05-03-2006 07:08 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

1986



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86