Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Sup93a
Stock

Sup93a is on a distinguished road
Default Changes to a N/A Supra to increase performance

Currently I have a 2JZ 1993 Toyota Supra. When purchased it had extracters PRIMARY: 1-5/8inch and SECONDARY 2inch, HKS pod filter and a performance exhaust with high flow cats.

I am currently not able to drive a TT Supra due to Australian restrictions so I am looking at my options on my N/A supra.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the performance but I am looking to see if I can possibly go faster without breaking any Australian laws.

Is there anything else I can do to increase the performance of my Supra?

Thanks.
Sup93a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to move this to the MKIV section. You'll probably get better response there.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup93a View Post
Currently I have a 2JZ 1993 Toyota Supra. When purchased it had extracters PRIMARY: 1-5/8inch and SECONDARY 2inch, HKS pod filter and a performance exhaust with high flow cats.

I am currently not able to drive a TT Supra due to Australian restrictions so I am looking at my options on my N/A supra.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the performance but I am looking to see if I can possibly go faster without breaking any Australian laws.

Is there anything else I can do to increase the performance of my Supra?

Thanks.
"Extracters"? What are they? I'm not familiar with that term. Is that a tubular header?

Would Australian laws allow nitrous oxide injection?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering about the whole 'Australian Laws' thing myself.... perhaps it's just regarding swaps... that or the OP's got specific restrictions on their license.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Sup93a
Stock

Sorry for the late reply.

In some states within Australia, when first getting your licence you cannot drive a supercharged or turbocharged engine for 3 years (20 years of age).

In regards to the "extractors" It manifold muffler, it just makes it easier for the engine to push the exhaust gases. Better air flow.

Nitrous oxide is illegal here, and I would never use it. Not worth the few seconds of fun.

I cannot get a TT Supra until next year so I think I will just have to put up with it until then...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I know what extractors are (Oh, nevermind, I didn't see that it was asked)... I don't know that they'll net you much improvement though... The 2JZ head flows much better than the 7M's so I'd expect a gain higher than the 10HP or so that N/A 7M owners claim, but I don't know if it would be enough to really be worth it. Try searching for results using the term "headers" instead, it will get more hits.

Other mods I would consider would be replacing the exhaust piping with mandrel bent piping with fewer bends if possible; Replacing muffler and resonator with free flowing ones; And swapping in a free flowing cat. Then, I'd move on to upgraded cams; Weight reduction. These are pretty much standard upgrades for N/A, my 2JZ GE knowledge is very limited though, so I can't advise beyond this.

I didn't know that about licensing in AussieLand... It makes sense to me. I wish they'd do qualification based licensing here in the states... you test for certain grade of license and based on your actual ability you get a different license and plates that reflect precisely how fast you're allowed to drive and where. I also think they need to require actualy behind the wheel driving tests every 5 years or so instead of just ONCE.

So where else does the 2JZ-GE generally need help? I'd like to know more too.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 01-26-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Nitrous oxide is illegal here, and I would never use it. Not worth the few seconds of fun....
Disclaimer: In advance, I'll ask that you please pardon this post, since it is not in-line with the main topic of this thread:
- Although I'd never recommend you do something illegal, nitrous actually is worth the many seconds of fun if and only if it is has been installed with proper controls. I believe you're referring to how often folks hurt their engines using a quick-and-dirty dry-shot of nitrous. Just like you can't run too much boost on low-octane pump gas, there are rules you need to follow if you want to use nitrous safely. Again, if the nitrous system is designed, installed, tested, and tuned properly, it can be very reliable way to increase horsepower, and a lot of fun! Of course, just because a nitrous system might be reliable/safe, that doesn't mean it's legal.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Sup93a
Stock

Hello,
I am more going off what others have said in regards to Nitrious being corrosive and can damage an engine, e.g. a factory 2JZ.
I am worried about hurting my car.
All of your information if much appreciated but I think the easiest way is to wait another year and buy a factory TT Supra or I might even wait to get a new Toyota FT86G which is coming to Australia in 2011.
-Corey.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Hello,
I am more going off what others have said in regards to Nitrious being corrosive and can damage an engine, e.g. a factory 2JZ.
I am worried about hurting my car.
All of your information if much appreciated but I think the easiest way is to wait another year and buy a factory TT Supra or I might even wait to get a new Toyota FT86G which is coming to Australia in 2011.
-Corey.
  • Nitrous is not corrosive.
  • Nitrous can damage an engine, but so can too much boost. If the nitrous system is properly designed installed and tuned, it won't damage the engine.
  • You should be worried about hurting your car - that's a very good thing. However, those worries should be intelligently analyzed to ensure they're not based on predjudice for/against a particular technology, and/or rumor.
  • I agree with your plan to start with a factory TT.
  • The FT86G is an unknown at this point, so I can't advise you there. Worst case, it might turn out to be a P.O.S. ... On the other hand, the mkiv tt is a sure thing.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
Sup93a
Stock

Thankyou for all of your information.

I have had a further look into my options with my N/A Supra and I think I will wait and purchase a factory TT Supra.

At the end of the day, I do not have the money to be doing anything like machining, nitrous or a turbocharger at this point in my life. I can purchase a reliable TT Supra for around $20,000-25,000 AUS dollars and in relation to the type of cars around my area, there are not many of them.

If I need anymore information I will definently leave a post.

Thankyou.

-Corey

Tags
increase, n/a, performance, power, supra