Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Toyotanut
Stock

Toyotanut is on a distinguished road
Default looking at a mk4...What to offer?

I looked at a mk4 today,Its a black all stock minus wheels and intake 95 n/a auto with 225k miles on it with a clean carfax never been titled outside of cali. The car looks great for the mileage and drives good but im not sure what to offer the guy for the price. KBB is 10.5k but i know theses cars usually go for more?

it also comes with a wrecked,totaled 94 mk4 6spdTT with complete 80k drivetrain minus the diff. and lots of extra parts on it(tt calipers,carbon clutch tein coilovers,6spd pedals,misc parts
Toyotanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotanut View Post
I looked at a mk4 today,Its a black all stock minus wheels and intake 95 n/a auto with 225k miles on it with a clean carfax never been titled outside of cali. The car looks great for the mileage and drives good but im not sure what to offer the guy for the price. KBB is 10.5k but i know theses cars usually go for more?

it also comes with a wrecked,totaled 94 mk4 6spdTT with complete 80k drivetrain minus the diff. and lots of extra parts on it(tt calipers,carbon clutch tein coilovers,6spd pedals,misc parts
Sorry to say I really can't help with pricing, although other members may be able to help you here. For me personally, I've never sold an MKIV Supra (why would anyone do that?) and I've only bought one, brand-new, from Toyota...so I guess this makes me pretty much a n00b in the used market pricing area. However, I probably could help you know what to look for in terms of mechanical soundness for a specific mkiv that you're considering.

Oh, and note that this forum is under "Performance and General Modification Forums - for generation specific discussions". Pricing discussions aren't the primary purpose of this forum, but again if another member has some input for you on this topic I don't mind at all if this discussion goes on.

If you end up wanting to sell the parts from that extra wrecked Supra, please post that ad in the appropriate for-sale forum.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-10-2010 at 12:11 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
TurboSupera
3" Exhaust

TurboSupera is on a distinguished road

I have an 89 Turbo and have been thinking about getting an MKIV. Any specifics you can point me to to look out for? Haven't decided on the N/A versus Turbo, yet. For example......I know the MKIII is known for blown, head gasket, oil leaks, etc. etc.....anything the MKIV is notorious for?
TurboSupera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSupera View Post
I have an 89 Turbo and have been thinking about getting an MKIV. Any specifics you can point me to to look out for? Haven't decided on the N/A versus Turbo, yet. For example......I know the MKIII is known for blown, head gasket, oil leaks, etc. etc.....anything the MKIV is notorious for?
There's really nothing significant that could be characterized as a weakness ... with the car (really!). The only real weakness is with the Mkiv TT owners ... who often modify their Mkiv TTs by removing the boost limits and then don't run race fuel. Although this doesn't instantly blow up the engine, it does lead to premature compression loss in relatively short order. Watch out for poorly modified, or poorly maintained Mkiv TTs, and always do a compression test before you buy.

If you find a well maintained Mkiv TT that either hasn't been modified, or has been modified properly and has always run race fuel, it's a keeper. There are easy fixes we can help you find for any of the minor items that owners have found over the years (eg. the hatch rattle in the pre-'97 models). Get the car and send us your questions.

Oh and don't get an n/a. It's nothing at all like the TT except in the 'looks' department.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-13-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
TurboSupera
3" Exhaust

Thanks for the info. I actually do have a couple more questions if that's o.k. As stated I have an MKIII and the only thing I really did was put a 3" exhaust on it and rims from a n/a MKIV.....really wanted the turbo rims, but I couldnt' pass up that deal. Anyway, I recently test drove a n/a MKIV and really didn't like the visibility and the low seating, but it's something I can overlook. I did however like the handling.....felt a bit more stiff than my MKIII, but not too overbearing. I know there's a huge difference in the MKIV turbo and am waiting for something local to test drive and possibly buy......but like you said, many seem to be modified....and I would venture to say....half-a$$. I just want to drive something stock, but that seems hard to come by. Here's my questions. Is the MKIII turbo faster than the MKIV n/a? Specs seems to say it is, but when I drove it, I really couldn't tell. Can I run 87 octane on the n/a MKIV? Thanks in advance for your comments or anyone else who would like to chime in. BTW I really like the look of the MKIV, that's why I'm thinking about getting one, but do I want to get rid of my MKIII that only has about 83,000 miles?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Here's my questions. Is the MKIII turbo faster than the MKIV n/a? Specs seems to say it is, but when I drove it, I really couldn't tell....
Yep...especially a 'bpu' MKIII turbo.
Quote:
...Can I run 87 octane on the n/a MKIV?...
Honestly I wouldn't. One of the reasons it's so hard to get an n/a Mkiv to perform anywhere close to a TT is due the the higher compression ratio pistons in the 2jz-ge.
Quote:
...Thanks in advance for your comments or anyone else who would like to chime in. BTW I really like the look of the MKIV, that's why I'm thinking about getting one, but do I want to get rid of my MKIII that only has about 83,000 miles?
Keep the MKIII for your daily driver and get the MKIV TT to modify - or mod the MKIII and daily-drive the MKIV. Either way you've got a winning combo! (Can you tell I'm a Supra nut? )

Old 01-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
TurboSupera
3" Exhaust

Once again thanks for the info. I'd love to keep them all but I have too many toys. I actually have two 7mgte, but one has a broken driver's side key hole due to someone breaking into it. It's just sitting there till I have time to fix it or sell it as is. I also have a blown Tacoma S-Runner that's putting down about 242 to the wheels. It's my sleeper truck. I'm not out to break any records or anything, just like to do a little modding....but like you said....do it correctly.....and that usually means, it's not cheap. I'd like to pick up a stock MKIV turbo....but am not in a hurry.