Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra > MKIV FAQ

Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
mhsfootball0888
Stock

mhsfootball0888 is on a distinguished road
Default okay a little help?

im planning on buying a toyota supra. i want to put alot of performance stuff into it. about 550+. i hav no idea where to start and i really dont want to spend a ton of cash. i know that im putting nitrous on it. i know on the interior that im adding gps. oh and also i am putting a roll cage in it for saftey. im pretty sure i want to have twin turbos. do i need to upgrade the transminsion or the drive train, torque converter, pinion gears, rear end, ect. and also i want to have switches for start, fuel, ect. i want to lower it, do i need to "upgrade" the suspension? basically i want sumthing that will smack those little hondas and keep up with ferraris and vipers.
mhsfootball0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsfootball0888
im planning on buying a toyota supra. i want to put alot of performance stuff into it. about 550+. i hav no idea where to start and i really dont want to spend a ton of cash. i know that im putting nitrous on it. i know on the interior that im adding gps. oh and also i am putting a roll cage in it for saftey. im pretty sure i want to have twin turbos. do i need to upgrade the transminsion or the drive train, torque converter, pinion gears, rear end, ect. and also i want to have switches for start, fuel, ect. i want to lower it, do i need to "upgrade" the suspension? basically i want sumthing that will smack those little hondas and keep up with ferraris and vipers.
In order for me/us to provide you with an accurate set of recommendations, please answer ALL FIVE of the following questions:
  1. What kind of "Toyota supra" are you planning to buy? Since you posted in the MKIV section, can I assume you're talking about an MKIV TT?
  2. Do you mean 550+ hp ...OR.... 550+ rwhp??? Note that there's significant difference in what's required for the build-up to achieve these two power goals.
  3. Do you want sequential twin turbos or parallel twin turbos? Note that the only available sequential twin turbo kit at the moment is the oem sequential twin kit, and it won't make 550rwhp without a huge wet-shot of nitrous through the entire rpm range. If you do mean parallel twin turbos, then why do you think you want that rather than a single turbo?
  4. What type of racing do you want to "smack" vipers, etc. in: drifting? autocross? drag racing? road racing? top speed?
  5. When you say "i really dont want to spend a ton of cash", are you talking about the cash for the upgrades alone, or the cost of the car PLUS the upgrades? If it's car+upgrades, note that an Mkiv TT in good shape will probably run you about $20k or so...and if you want 550+ rwhp through an auto you're looking at probably $5K-$10K in upgrades on top of that. I can get more exact with the costs when you've got all of these questions answered...
Here's what I can answer, based on the info you provided:
  • If it's the mkiv tt's auto tranny, you would need to upgrade the tc&tranny for 550rwhp, but not for 550hp. A 6spd will handle either (although you would need an aftermarket clutch for both 550hp or 550rwhp).
  • To lower an mkiv, you'll need either Koni shocks (2 height settings), aftermarket springs (eg. Eibachs), or both, or a fully height-adjustable coilover setup (eg Tein).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-26-2007 at 02:52 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
SupraDupra
3" Exhaust

SupraDupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... i really dont want to spend a ton of cash...
That's gunna slow you down considerably.What kind of budget are you looking at? 500 hp is a pretty expensive number.
SupraDupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraDupra
...500 hp is a pretty expensive number.
Actually, he could achieve 500hp (425rwhp though a 6spd) with only bpu mods to a 'healthy' mkiv tt, high boost (20-22 psi), and some race fuel. On the other hand, I agree that "550+" rwhp would be an expensive number, no matter how you cut it. Got to pay to play...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-26-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
mhsfootball0888
Stock

ive been looking for awhile for a supra and havn't really found one wit not a lot of miles. rite now at this moment im looking at a 23,000 bank account.okay maybe 550 rwhp is a little lofty. basically i hav no idea wut i want, wut are the pros and the cons of twin turbo and single? i want nitrous, wuts the pros and cons of dry shot, wet shot, and direct injection. wut i want from the car is to be a daily driver. but on the weekends to go "street racing" i also want ot run it of pump gas. im going to UTI college this summer for school and was looking for a little extra cash from racing. wut i want from u guys is to list of mods that wont run me more than about 11,000 that will give me 425+ i guess rwhp or regular hp idk the difference
Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...wut are the pros and the cons of twin turbo and single?...
To answer that question, I need to know what kind of "twin turbo" are you talking about? There are two very different types of "twin turbo":
  • Sequential: The Mkiv Supra Turbo (TT) only came with oem sequential twin turbos. Sequential twins outspool parallel twins, which makes them perform better overall, for most driving situations (including daily driving and drag racing). Note that there's no such thing as an off-the-shelf aftermarket sequential twin turbo kit for the Mkiv Supra Turbo.
  • Parallel: All aftermarket (i.e. upgraded) turbo kits for the Mkiv Supra Turbo are single turbo or parallel twins. The turbochargers operate in parallel, which spools more slowly than sequential twins.
A single turbo and parallel twins perform about the same, but a single turbo is less expensive. There's a bit more related info on this older thread:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...2350#post32350

Quote:
...wut i want from the car is to be a daily driver. but on the weekends to go "street racing" i also want ot run it of pump gas. im going to UTI college this summer for school and was looking for a little extra cash from racing. wut i want from u guys is to list of mods that wont run me more than about 11,000 that will give me 425+...
If you only want 425rwhp, and you can get that from the oem sequential twin turbos, then why do you think you want to run nitrous too? You can get 425rwhp without nitrous from a 'bpu' Mkiv TT Supra. Just do the 'bpu' mods listed here (which will cost you FAR less than $11K in upgrades), put in some race fuel and run high boost. On the other hand, if that $11K will be burning a hole in your pocket AFTER you've purchased your Mkiv Supra Turbo AND done all of the maintenance on it (timing belt, tires, etc.), then you can shoot for more than 425rwhp.

Pump gas is a problem for any relatively small displacement engine getting a lot of its power from turbo/boost. The more boost you run, the more octane you need. If you want to get 425rwhp+ reliably from pump gas, you'll need a methanol+water injection kit.

Quote:
...i guess rwhp or regular hp idk the difference...
For any one car/setup, "hp" is always less than rwhp, since rwhp is the power at the tires - and has already been reduced by driveline loss. "hp" refers to horsepower at the crankshaft (pre-driveline loss). More info here:
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=26050

Also, you still haven't fully answered a couple of my previous questions:
  1. What kind of "supra" are you planning to buy? Since you posted in the MKIV section, can I assume you're talking about an MKIV TT? ...Or an n/a (normally-aspirated/non-turbo) Mkiv? ...or an mkiii? What? Note: your most affordable way to go really fast in the 1/8th mile from a dead stop is a foxbody rustang, not a supra...
  2. What type of "street" racing do you want to "smack" vipers, etc. in: From a roll on the highway? From a dead stop? 1/4 mile? 1/8 mile? Any turns/drifting/twisties? etc.
Lastly, note that an Mkiv Supra TT in good condition will cost you about $20K, so if your current bank account is $23K, that only leaves $3k for upgrades (not $11K)...pardon my confusion, but where will the other $8K come from?

I'm not asking all of these questions of you just to be difficult. I really do need all of these answers from you, about exactly what you mean, in order to properly & fully answer your questions.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-27-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
mhsfootball0888
Stock

Default well idk wut kind of supra i want idk how many different kinds there were

idk supras came with turbos from the oem, hmm interesting. i know wut year i want nothing older than a 93'. the reason that im interested in supras is that my camero insurance was over $500 a month. and when i saw smack vipers, i was quoting a twin turbo kit i was reading about. it said that it beat most ferraris almost all bmw's and every viper on the road today. it was about $6 grand. and the reason i want nos is i saw on 2fast 2furious that that supra had had nitrous. idk it was appealing. and yes "bpu" mod are less expensive. but idk if i can afford the supra plus mods. the 23,000 was for buying the supra and putting in and buying the upgrades. basically i just want a supra, idc if its a twin oem turbo supra or a non turbo supra. i know the tt is like the holy grail of supras. but it has a cost that will leave ur walet saying holy crap. if i get a non-turbo supra can i upgrad to a supra tt and still make pretty good rwhp. im going to give u guys a little peak to where i live. where i live everyone has those stupid high reving hondas that get on my f***'n nerves. i want to buy AND build a supra that will leave them drewling, with a budget of 23,000. i wud apprieciate it if u guys would list "bpu" mods that give me alot of bang for my buck. thx
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
idk supras came with turbos from the oem, hmm interesting. i know wut year i want nothing older than a 93'...
Ok then, it's an MKIV Supra, either TT or N/A (normally aspirated / non-turbo).

Quote:
...the reason that im interested in supras is that my camero insurance was over $500 a month...
Insurance for an MKIV Supra probably won't be any cheaper...especially if you get a TT.

Quote:
...and when i saw smack vipers, i was quoting a twin turbo kit i was reading about. it said that it beat most ferraris almost all bmw's and every viper on the road today. it was about $6 grand...
You can get a single kit for about $4 grand that will perform just as well as that parallel twin turbo kit (also note that twin turbo kit you read about was probably an HKS).

Quote:
...and the reason i want nos is i saw on 2fast 2furious that that supra had had nitrous. idk it was appealing...
Ok. The nos kit will be at least $1k (with all of the supporting electronic controls), and you'll have to spend a good bit of time on the dyno testing & tuning it to be sure it's safe & consistent (probably at least another $1k or more in install+testing+tuning+dynotime). Also if you pick an mkiv with an auto tranny, the nos may cause the oem tranny to 'go' earlier than you'd expect unless you get it 'built' (a built auto tranny would be another $3k).

Quote:
...and yes "bpu" mod are less expensive. but idk if i can afford the supra plus mods. the 23,000 was for buying the supra and putting in and buying the upgrades. basically i just want a supra, idc if its a twin oem turbo supra or a non turbo supra. i know the tt is like the holy grail of supras. but it has a cost that will leave ur walet saying holy crap...
Like I said, a tt in good shape will run you about $20k...which won't leave you much $$$ left over for upgrades.

Quote:
...if i get a non-turbo supra can i upgrad to a supra tt and still make pretty good rwhp...
You just asked a very complicated question. First of all, you'll only save about $5k (or less) by starting with an n/a mkiv instead of a tt. Next, note that a full tt engine swap (complete 2jz-gte + harness + ecu) will cost you $3k or more in parts and probably about $1k or more in labor. After all that, you still won't have a full tt, because of the tranny, the diff, the brakes, the suspension, etc., etc. In other words, sure you can upgrade to tt, but to get to a full tt it'll cost as much or more than if you'd have simply got a tt in the first place. (ime/imho)
Quote:
...i want to buy AND build a supra that will leave them drewling, with a budget of 23,000. i wud apprieciate it if u guys would list "bpu" mods that give me alot of bang for my buck. thx
I honestly believe that $23K isn't enough to build a Supra that will leave them "drewling". It is enough to put together a 400rwhp+ 'bpu' Mkiv tt though, which will be plenty fast. All the mods you need are listed at the link I already provided in my post above. Here is the link again:
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#bpu1

...I can't promise you'll have enough $ left over for the full nos kit+install+testing&tuning, since your $23k honestly is barely enough to cover the cost of a good mkiv tt plus 'bpu' mods (plus maybe a set of rims & bfg drag radials if you get very lucky finding a great deal on an Mkiv Supra TT).

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-28-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
SupraDupra
3" Exhaust

SupraDupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...the reason i want nos is i saw on 2fast 2furious that that supra had had nitrous. idk it was appealing...
Although I can see how the movies made the supra such an appealing car ,it's not the best way to choose a car.I wouldn't be in a giant hurry for the nos either ,for two reasons.1: Nitrous is considered "hazardous material" and illegal to have in your car even if it's not hooked to anything (I acualy tracked that one down in the "ORC",the cops bible.The law is very vague leaving a lot to the officers discression) 2: Although others may not agree with me ,I have always viewed nos as being the last resort after you have done every mechanical thing you can do get HP and don't have any other options but want just a little more.

What your looking for in a car seems to be a pretty tall order.I would recomend that you spend some decent time researching on the internet what cars you want and narrow that list down.It took me quite a while to settle on three cars and another year before I actualy bought my supra.My list was -MkIII Supra ,1986 Shelby Charger Turbo ,and a "Savanna" RX-7.A small list but not nearly so constraining.I chose those cars because I wanted cars that had engines with good history ,cars with above average suspension or easy to upgrade ,and rear wheel drive.Sounds like you want something that runs in a straight line real fast and makes people drool.
SupraDupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
mhsfootball0888
Stock

Default so u guys think

so u guys think tell me if im wrong. buy a supra tt, "bpu" it out (exhaust, downpipe, boost controler,ect.) i looked under the "bpu" site and i was wondering if i got a supra tt should i replace the turbo. oh and does the tt cum wit an intercooler. shud i upgrade anything else, like in the cooling system. like the water pump, radiator,ect. is a boost controler like a guage like a tach or is an actual cpu? oh and suspension wise is there anything that needs to be upgraded beside lowering.