View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsfootball0888
...wut are the pros and the cons of twin turbo and single?...
To answer that question, I need to know what kind of "twin turbo" are you talking about? There are two very different types of "twin turbo":
  • Sequential: The Mkiv Supra Turbo (TT) only came with oem sequential twin turbos. Sequential twins outspool parallel twins, which makes them perform better overall, for most driving situations (including daily driving and drag racing). Note that there's no such thing as an off-the-shelf aftermarket sequential twin turbo kit for the Mkiv Supra Turbo.
  • Parallel: All aftermarket (i.e. upgraded) turbo kits for the Mkiv Supra Turbo are single turbo or parallel twins. The turbochargers operate in parallel, which spools more slowly than sequential twins.
A single turbo and parallel twins perform about the same, but a single turbo is less expensive. There's a bit more related info on this older thread:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...2350#post32350

Quote:
...wut i want from the car is to be a daily driver. but on the weekends to go "street racing" i also want ot run it of pump gas. im going to UTI college this summer for school and was looking for a little extra cash from racing. wut i want from u guys is to list of mods that wont run me more than about 11,000 that will give me 425+...
If you only want 425rwhp, and you can get that from the oem sequential twin turbos, then why do you think you want to run nitrous too? You can get 425rwhp without nitrous from a 'bpu' Mkiv TT Supra. Just do the 'bpu' mods listed here (which will cost you FAR less than $11K in upgrades), put in some race fuel and run high boost. On the other hand, if that $11K will be burning a hole in your pocket AFTER you've purchased your Mkiv Supra Turbo AND done all of the maintenance on it (timing belt, tires, etc.), then you can shoot for more than 425rwhp.

Pump gas is a problem for any relatively small displacement engine getting a lot of its power from turbo/boost. The more boost you run, the more octane you need. If you want to get 425rwhp+ reliably from pump gas, you'll need a methanol+water injection kit.

Quote:
...i guess rwhp or regular hp idk the difference...
For any one car/setup, "hp" is always less than rwhp, since rwhp is the power at the tires - and has already been reduced by driveline loss. "hp" refers to horsepower at the crankshaft (pre-driveline loss). More info here:
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=26050

Also, you still haven't fully answered a couple of my previous questions:
  1. What kind of "supra" are you planning to buy? Since you posted in the MKIV section, can I assume you're talking about an MKIV TT? ...Or an n/a (normally-aspirated/non-turbo) Mkiv? ...or an mkiii? What? Note: your most affordable way to go really fast in the 1/8th mile from a dead stop is a foxbody rustang, not a supra...
  2. What type of "street" racing do you want to "smack" vipers, etc. in: From a roll on the highway? From a dead stop? 1/4 mile? 1/8 mile? Any turns/drifting/twisties? etc.
Lastly, note that an Mkiv Supra TT in good condition will cost you about $20K, so if your current bank account is $23K, that only leaves $3k for upgrades (not $11K)...pardon my confusion, but where will the other $8K come from?

I'm not asking all of these questions of you just to be difficult. I really do need all of these answers from you, about exactly what you mean, in order to properly & fully answer your questions.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-27-2007 at 04:11 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote