View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsfootball0888
idk supras came with turbos from the oem, hmm interesting. i know wut year i want nothing older than a 93'...
Ok then, it's an MKIV Supra, either TT or N/A (normally aspirated / non-turbo).

Quote:
...the reason that im interested in supras is that my camero insurance was over $500 a month...
Insurance for an MKIV Supra probably won't be any cheaper...especially if you get a TT.

Quote:
...and when i saw smack vipers, i was quoting a twin turbo kit i was reading about. it said that it beat most ferraris almost all bmw's and every viper on the road today. it was about $6 grand...
You can get a single kit for about $4 grand that will perform just as well as that parallel twin turbo kit (also note that twin turbo kit you read about was probably an HKS).

Quote:
...and the reason i want nos is i saw on 2fast 2furious that that supra had had nitrous. idk it was appealing...
Ok. The nos kit will be at least $1k (with all of the supporting electronic controls), and you'll have to spend a good bit of time on the dyno testing & tuning it to be sure it's safe & consistent (probably at least another $1k or more in install+testing+tuning+dynotime). Also if you pick an mkiv with an auto tranny, the nos may cause the oem tranny to 'go' earlier than you'd expect unless you get it 'built' (a built auto tranny would be another $3k).

Quote:
...and yes "bpu" mod are less expensive. but idk if i can afford the supra plus mods. the 23,000 was for buying the supra and putting in and buying the upgrades. basically i just want a supra, idc if its a twin oem turbo supra or a non turbo supra. i know the tt is like the holy grail of supras. but it has a cost that will leave ur walet saying holy crap...
Like I said, a tt in good shape will run you about $20k...which won't leave you much $$$ left over for upgrades.

Quote:
...if i get a non-turbo supra can i upgrad to a supra tt and still make pretty good rwhp...
You just asked a very complicated question. First of all, you'll only save about $5k (or less) by starting with an n/a mkiv instead of a tt. Next, note that a full tt engine swap (complete 2jz-gte + harness + ecu) will cost you $3k or more in parts and probably about $1k or more in labor. After all that, you still won't have a full tt, because of the tranny, the diff, the brakes, the suspension, etc., etc. In other words, sure you can upgrade to tt, but to get to a full tt it'll cost as much or more than if you'd have simply got a tt in the first place. (ime/imho)
Quote:
...i want to buy AND build a supra that will leave them drewling, with a budget of 23,000. i wud apprieciate it if u guys would list "bpu" mods that give me alot of bang for my buck. thx
I honestly believe that $23K isn't enough to build a Supra that will leave them "drewling". It is enough to put together a 400rwhp+ 'bpu' Mkiv tt though, which will be plenty fast. All the mods you need are listed at the link I already provided in my post above. Here is the link again:
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#bpu1

...I can't promise you'll have enough $ left over for the full nos kit+install+testing&tuning, since your $23k honestly is barely enough to cover the cost of a good mkiv tt plus 'bpu' mods (plus maybe a set of rims & bfg drag radials if you get very lucky finding a great deal on an Mkiv Supra TT).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-28-2007 at 05:38 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote