Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
Japanese supra tt
Intake

Japanese supra tt is on a distinguished road
Default 2 new problems....

alright, to start of simple....i have a headlight problem (movement)
the bulbs light up perfectly, when i turn them on.
if they are in the down position, and i turn them on, the left one will not come up.

when i crank the left one up to match the right side, and turn my headlights off, then both sides will go down with no problem.

i got a junked headlight motor, before removing my headlight i unplugged the connector and plugged it into the new motor in my hand, and had my buddy turn the lights on and off.
even with a different motor, it still does the same thing!
(left headlight will not come up)

any suggestions?.... is there a fuse or something specifically for the movement of the left headlight?
id really prefer not to drive around at night with a car that has downsydrome...

and the bigger more...important issue.
i think i have a BHG.
the car runs fine, never overheats. even when i push it hard
the idle is a little funny....=/
im inspecting my engine bay as i do after a couple days of hard driving, and i pull off the rubber thing on top of my valve cover.
heres a pic of it circled in red:

i look inside and see blackish gritty looking oil in my valve cover...

i also had my car on a lift the same day and there was oil leak coming from somewhere. from the top of the engine somewhere.

i dont know what it is, and also, i took off my radiator cap and looked inside, and theres this brownish colored coolant....gonna flush it and fill it back up with new fluid. heres a pic of it:
Japanese supra tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
oowee623
3" Exhaust

oowee623 is on a distinguished road

i dont think BHG is a problem on 1JZ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by supradaddy0803
the results of your work will be very nice when you push the gas and hold on for dear life.
oowee623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Drag0na5h
3" Exhaust

Drag0na5h is on a distinguished road

There is a headlight retractor relay in your driverside kick panel. It's a little blue box labeled something like "headlight relay" and in there controls the flipping motion. Maybe it has gone bad somewhere on the circuit board and doesn't recognize to flip up both lights. Hopefully you can find one at a junk yard and check out if swapping that instead would help.

I had oil leaks too near the top of my engine. It was hard finding where because it had already soaked an area with oil. First one was coming from some PCV hoses that lead into my valve covers. When I took them off and looked inside and around it was kinda blackish and gritty like you described yours. So maybe it's normal build up. They were old and cracked hoses too. Then I had one because of my distributor o-ring had hardened and flattened out. Both easy to fix once I found out why. However I have a 7mge motor and not a 1jz soooooo not sure if that helps. But hoping to give you some confidence to keep searching.

As far as the brownish coolant in your system I'm hoping it's not due to any rust build up somewhere. Just be sure to always use distilled water and not tap. Then atleast you have more confidence that it wasn't because of dirty water.

Last edited by Drag0na5h; 06-25-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Drag0na5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Japanese supra tt
Intake

thanks dragon ill look at mine asap.

and oowee, i dont have a 1jz. (i wish)

ill put the sup on the lift again on wednesday and find the source of my oil leak hopefully, and look at that relay box.

thanks guys.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
oowee623
3" Exhaust

oowee623 is on a distinguished road

my mistake i just assumed it was a 1Jz since youre in japan, im not familiar with the G series engines, how does it compare to 7Ms and 1JZs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supradaddy0803
the results of your work will be very nice when you push the gas and hold on for dear life.
oowee623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

ive heard good things about the g series, high reving and fun to drive.

jap sup: most people on here have a 7m so we may not be able to help you to much, but we will certainly try
Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The 1G was fairly uncommon... an underdog of the MKIII world. They're definitely a rev happy engine with decent (but not phenominal) potential with some upgrading. I don't think that engine even made it to Europe. There has been a lot of speculation about how much power they're capable of, but the few people who've tried building it here in North America have all bailed on it. Parts aren't easy to source, they're expensive to ship in and the 1JZ and 2JZ offer greater gains from the same amount of work.

While a BHG is not big concern on the 1JZ, 2JZ and 1G the potential always exists.

Oil leaks on the top (upper half) of the engine are most likely coming from loose valve covers, dried and shrunken seals (such as the one on the CPS or dist. or cam/valve cover seals), or cracked hoses.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 AM   #8
Japanese supra tt
Intake

yeah, the 1G has come kick to it, and it definatly gets the job done.
lets put it this way, the car can clutch kick in 3rd.
the twin turbos have some lag of course but its not anything thats too bad.
alrighty, when i go to the lift again, looks like im draining my radiator, installing foglights & wiring, checking for cracked/dried hoses, and checking torq on valve cover.

oh yeah, and yeah i relize most ppl have 7Ms or 1j's. its all good, you guys help out more than enough haha.

Last edited by Japanese supra tt; 06-26-2007 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I just noticed that the 1G uses a VAF (Vane Air Flow) meter.... like the 7M-GE N/As. What a horrible restriction to put on a turbo car. I wonder how much of an increase that engine would see from just converting to a MAP setup... even without tuning there would probably be a decent gain. I'm stunned that Toyota would use that in that setup.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
Japanese supra tt
Intake

yeah ive noticed that too. need to get all my shit running like it should...or close to it before i go and start swapping parts for upgrades...
(oil leak, headlight relay, plug wires, foglights, all need to be installed/replaced)

im assuming you guys would reccomend MSD 8.5mm plug wires?
seems like the best out there.

opinions?

ohh yeah, ALSO IMPORTANT: my oil pressure is sky high, it reads around 6 to 8 sometimes, on the stock gauge if im just cruizing at about 40 KPH and 2k rpms...
wierd.

Last edited by Japanese supra tt; 06-26-2007 at 01:56 PM.