Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
alekjame22
Stock

alekjame22 is on a distinguished road
Angry Starting problems and acceleration problems!

Hey everyone my name is Alek. I own a 1989 Supra N/a non turbo and am having major problems so far.

For one thing my car is having acceleration problems like crazy, it won't get up to speed at all, I floor it and nothing happens. My transmission is shifting at really low speeds and it all just feels like crap. The person who sold me the car said that the exhaust has a stripped bolt but my thought are the cat is clogged or something?

I was going to get custom exhaust put on and a new cat and that's when stuff got really out of hand.

My car was getting slower and slower by the minute while driving it one mile to get my exhaust put on... I finally made it to his driveway which is a big hill might I add, I couldn't make it up the hill to save my life. I put the car in park and shut it off. I tried to start it up again and nothing happened. My clock didnt light up, my lights inside weren't working, everything was totally shot.

I'm not sure what it could be I have full battery life on the car and everything.

We tried jumping it, and even switching batteries but nothing worked.

Can anyone tell me what they think the problem might be? Both with acceleration, rough shifting, and also the starting troubles?

Thanks so much for any help
All stock modding soon

Last edited by alekjame22; 03-17-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Typo
alekjame22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
88Tsupra
12psi boost

88Tsupra is on a distinguished road

ask for the starting trouble..i had the same issue and come to find out my plug wires were nasty looking and my 4, 5 and 6 spark plugs had oil on top of them after changing my plugs and wire it starts up better accept for the fact that the oil is back on my plugs
apexi exhaust tip-custom 3" piping. Replaced with RSR GT II
NGK plug and wires
HID conversion head lights
HKS Turbo Timer Type-1 (in black)
Tial BOV
BIC DDP
88Tsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
alekjame22
Stock

Thanks for the ideas, but my car straight up won't start. It doesn't have any power at all. Like the lights inside don't work, the clock inside doesn't work, it's almost like the battery is completely dead... cept it's not it has full power.

I don't know what it could be. Spark Plug wires would help with a putter problem I have with the engine falling below 600 RPM's and stalling out.

Anyone else, this sucks =[
All stock modding soon
Old 03-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
dannydavi
12psi boost

dannydavi is on a distinguished road

if your battery is full and nothing inside is working then there is something wrong with the connection between the battery and your ignition and thus to the rest of your interior lighting, i in all honesty would check to make sure the positive is going to the right place, i noticed on mine, that the battery is labeled with red indicator on the negative and visa versa, which dropped me dead once, for some reason i think it might be a visual perception thing, but maybe not, check to see if your ground is going to the positive and dont judge by the colors... this prob wont help but it did happen to me once, good luck man
dannydavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
alekjame22
Stock

Well I'm going to try that now, but I've had a few ideas of my own, could my alternator be screwed up thus making my car have no power overall, or could there be a short in my wire harness?

I'm not sure but those seem like the most relevant right now.

Thanks so much for your help, let's hope your idea works =]
All stock modding soon
Old 03-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
dannydavi
12psi boost

dannydavi is on a distinguished road

yes the alternator could make it seem like loss of pwr while driving (when my alternator on my CRX went bad my car just died on me after my battery drained, it didnt really have loss of pwr but im sure it's possible) but if durring start up you dont even get your clocks pwr it isnt the alternator, start up is all about battery and starter, but yeah your harness could be jacked too let us know how it goes...
dannydavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
alekjame22
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydavi
yes the alternator could make it seem like loss of pwr while driving (when my alternator on my CRX went bad my car just died on me after my battery drained, it didnt really have loss of pwr but im sure it's possible) but if durring start up you dont even get your clocks pwr it isnt the alternator, start up is all about battery and starter, but yeah your harness could be jacked too let us know how it goes...

Well i got her started up, hard knocking in the engine right now =/ There's a leak in the oil somewhere comes out right near the fan. I'm probably down a few quarts but if I put any oil in, it will come right on out.

The wire to the positive is to short to reach the terminal so it looks like I'm going to splice some wire to make it reach.

So right now I've got a major oil leak near the fan. I've got the stripped bolt on my catalytic converter, and a potential exhaust leak.

If I don't fix it myself, I can always have my mechanic help me out with it.

Thanks alot for all the help if anybody has any ideas or arguements as to what I said I'm dying to hear!!

Thanks so much folks!! =D
All stock modding soon