Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Wileyk24
Stock

Wileyk24 is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant Reservoir Overflowing

Hi guys,

Just did a major tune up on my 87 supra turbo. Plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, valve cover gaskets, etc. I even replaced all the air and coolant hoses in the car. I went with the ebay silicone hose kit which has 26 hoses in it. Overall I am happy with the quality of the hoses, leapyears ahead of my 25 plus year old factory hoses(so please don't flame over the ebay purchase). My car is bone stock.

So, with everything finished, my car keeps spitting coolant out of the overflow bottle. I have no signs of overheating(temperature guage is steady, stays in the middle, and never goes high or bounces around). I got a block test kit and tested my engine twice, both times no signs of a BHG.

So I assume I have to burp the system. I have heard all about it. Problem is when I try to burp the system I am not getting any air bubbles, just coolant pulsing slowly up and down and coming out of the radiator cap(when the cap is off). First I tried burping the car on my car ramps. Then I tried jacking the car even higher with my floor jack. Neither way seems to produce any difference in effect. Even did all of the above with the heater on full blast just in case.

What should I do? Car drives great, no smoke from my tailpipe, I am stumped.

Kris
Wileyk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

test thermostat

if that passes

replace rad cap.

which ebay kit did you get ? that have some pretty decent knock offs floating around.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Wileyk24
Stock

Default Coolant Reservoir Overflow

I bought the 26 piece Samco silicone hose kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26PCS-SILICO...ht_1732wt_1163

I am more than pleased by the quality and fitment. Thanks for the advice, I will post a status when I get the chance to test. Probably not until the middle of the week. Going to be busy at work. Thanks again.

Kris
Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Smile coolant reservoir overflowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileyk24 View Post
Hi guys,

Just did a major tune up on my 87 supra turbo. Plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, valve cover gaskets, etc. I even replaced all the air and coolant hoses in the car. I went with the ebay silicone hose kit which has 26 hoses in it. Overall I am happy with the quality of the hoses, leapyears ahead of my 25 plus year old factory hoses(so please don't flame over the ebay purchase). My car is bone stock.

So, with everything finished, my car keeps spitting coolant out of the overflow bottle. I have no signs of overheating(temperature guage is steady, stays in the middle, and never goes high or bounces around). I got a block test kit and tested my engine twice, both times no signs of a BHG.

So I assume I have to burp the system. I have heard all about it. Problem is when I try to burp the system I am not getting any air bubbles, just coolant pulsing slowly up and down and coming out of the radiator cap(when the cap is off). First I tried burping the car on my car ramps. Then I tried jacking the car even higher with my floor jack. Neither way seems to produce any difference in effect. Even did all of the above with the heater on full blast just in case.

What should I do? Car drives great, no smoke from my tailpipe, I am stumped.

Kris
Hi! Had the same problem! found the solution by COLD pressure testing the radiator cap , found to be releasing pressure too early and continuing to zero . This can be done by making a 4 way adapter to :COLD pressurise system / check pressure / release pressure and removes bubbles , this can be put into top heater hose , please see pictures . cured by adding shim to rad cap at sealing ring to increase length . set to release at around 13 PSI ,should shut off at around 10 PSI .Check by putting the OVERFLOW PIPE into a container of water and pressurise system with a foot pump attached to the shrader valve and check for bubbles ( releasing pressure ) leave to settle and watch gauge for bubble stop ( containing pressure) .By COLD testing the cap can be removed and refitted quickly after releasing pressure .This can be left in place to generally check the system for leaks .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0488.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	4582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0489.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	4583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0487.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	4584  

Last edited by interested!; 06-04-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add additional info
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
interested!
3" Exhaust

Default coolant overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested! View Post
Hi! Had the same problem! found the solution by COLD pressure testing the radiator cap , found to be releasing pressure too early and continuing to zero . This can be done by making a 4 way adapter to :COLD pressurise system / check pressure / release pressure and removes bubbles , this can be put into top heater hose , please see pictures . cured by adding shim to rad cap at sealing ring to increase length . set to release at around 13 PSI ,should shut off at around 10 PSI .Check by putting the OVERFLOW PIPE into a container of water and pressurise system with a foot pump attached to the shrader valve and check for bubbles ( releasing pressure ) leave to settle and watch gauge for bubble stop ( containing pressure) .By COLD testing the cap can be removed and refitted quickly after releasing pressure .This can be left in place to generally check the system for leaks .
Please see photo of shim position for message above. The small valve in the centre should be firm enough to contain pressure , BUT , weak enough to allow vacuum refilling of the system after shutdown - ensure all rubber seals are in good condition ( no nicks or wear grooves )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0308.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	4585  

Last edited by interested!; 06-04-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

rather spend 5 bucks and get a new cap. lol Nice mod tho.. +1

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 06-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
interested!
3" Exhaust

Smile coolant overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
rather spend 5 bucks and get a new cap. lol Nice mod tho.. +1
Hi! Thanks for your reply , I had bought and tried 5 new caps over many years to try and cure this problem -losing fluid without overheating - before I took this course to eventually cure it , now I am confident that I have the problem " sorted " - no fluid loss and no overheating problems when driving for hours in hot weather either! , -my answer to , it seems , a common problem.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Yea I had that problem once.. a new cap just solved it.. good mod if its recurring.

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Wileyk24
Stock

Default Coolant Reservoir Overflowing

Hey,

Thanks for the reply's. I have had a new development. I didn't have time to drain the radiator down a little to remove the hose and test the thermostat. So I just went ahead and purchased a new radiator cap instead. I installed it last night, drove the car to work for the first time this morning and just as I was pulling in to work my car started OVERHEATING!! It went up and came back down in less than a minute or so.

Again, the system is full of fresh fluid, no leaks, and even no reservoir overflow since I put on the new radiator cap. No oil in fluid, no smoke from the exhaust...

I am seriously hoping that the overheating issue is my thermostat otherwise I am in for some serious repair work in my future.

Thoughts?

Kris
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

replace your thermostat.. perhaps look into a fail safe one.. were if it fails it just sticks open.. no overheat

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ