Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
I h8 Hondas
Stock

I h8 Hondas is on a distinguished road
Unhappy How much in my totaled mkIII worth?

Words cannot describe how much I hate the fact that I have to post this. I am actually getting a bit teary-eyed. I hit a deer at about a year and a half ago with my beloved Supra and, unfortunately insurance totaled it. Being a broke college student I put it in the shed and used the insurance money to buy a Jeep (at least it still has a straight 6, right?) since it wouldn't cover fixing the Supra. So it's been sitting in the shed for a year and a half and I've come to the ugly realization that between gas and maintenance for the Jeep and paying for college I won't be able to save enough money to fix it any time soon and my dad wants it out of his shed.

So anyway, the car is a 86.5 N/A with 161k on the clock. I put all of 3000 miles on it and had just changed the oil before I hit the deer. With the exception of the deer damaged panels the body is perfectly straight, no hail damage, door dings or anything. The under coat is excellent and there is no rust on the underside of the car. All glass is good. The interior could use some work. Climate controls, console lid, and door lock covers need replaced. There are a few stains in the seats (not that kind, get your head out of the gutter, me being 6'5" makes that impossible anyway) and carpet and the driver's seat has one cigarette hole from the previous owner. The vinyl on the dash has shrunk up a bit. The headliner is perfect. It comes with a Kenwood head unit and remote (not sure what model) with an amp and a 10" Alpine subwoofer (I covered it to protect it from sun damage).

The car ran good and silky smooth except for its tendency to get warm if you had go <25mph for very long. I have a thermostat sitting on my desk that was going to be put in over that weekend had I not hit the deer. It has new shocks, brake rotors, and pads with less than 4k on them. The tires are good. The A/C won't hold a charge for more than a couple weeks.

Now for the deer damage. It pretty much took out the whole right front corner of the car. He came out of a field at full sprint and I had no time to react. I just stomped the brakes and locked them up and pushed the front end when I tried to steer to the rear. If I hadn't locked them up I would have missed him, but I hit him doing about 50-55mph. Ruined the right headlight, bumper, right front fender, the hood, and bent the radiator core support a bit (he was a big boy).

Here are some pics of her as she sits now.

The worst rust on the whole car.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. This will not be my last Supra. I WILL own another at some point. This one left too good of an impression on me even though it was far from perfect.

Last edited by I h8 Hondas; 04-21-2012 at 12:27 AM.
I h8 Hondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

sad to hear another supra died, but this kind of stuff happens. im not profesonal pricer( far from it) but if i saw your car in its shape i would actualy consider buying it because it looks like minor damage( the part not so much the frame i assume) i would offer maby 1.2k for it since all the important parts look like they are there and dont seem to be that banged up.

doesent seem like its not to beat up for hitting a big sized deer maby replace the quarter pannel and frame damage. how sever is it or is it that insurance marked as a total loss

good to hear that it left a good impression on you, i love my mk3's flaws it gives it character

Last edited by pandrade; 04-21-2012 at 02:12 AM.
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any damage preventing it from running? All I see is a new fender, the radiator support needs straightened or a replacement welded in and new headlight. Oh yeah, and I see you mentioned the hood. What am I missing?

I've seen plenty of deer accidents... If he was big, he was a ballerina. You're lucky.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Looks like minor damage to me. Would want to take apart the front before making it final. About the overheating, have you checked out the fan clutch? I had a 85 Camero and the electric fan went out producing the same results. About the A/C, well it is time to start changing o rings.

Anyhow the Supra is not "totaled" to me. A bit of work and he will be back on the road.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
I h8 Hondas
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrade View Post
sad to hear another supra died, but this kind of stuff happens. im not profesonal pricer( far from it) but if i saw your car in its shape i would actualy consider buying it because it looks like minor damage( the part not so much the frame i assume) i would offer maby 1.2k for it since all the important parts look like they are there and dont seem to be that banged up.

doesent seem like its not to beat up for hitting a big sized deer maby replace the quarter pannel and frame damage. how sever is it or is it that insurance marked as a total loss

good to hear that it left a good impression on you, i love my mk3's flaws it gives it character
Deal. When can you pick it up? I don't think there's any frame damage. Everything still seems to line up like it did before and I didn't notice the handling being affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Is there any damage preventing it from running? All I see is a new fender, the radiator support needs straightened or a replacement welded in and new headlight. Oh yeah, and I see you mentioned the hood. What am I missing?

I've seen plenty of deer accidents... If he was big, he was a ballerina. You're lucky.
I drove it an hour home after I hit it and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Stayed cool (at least until I got onto my gravel road and had to go slow, I had to stop and let it cool) and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Looks like minor damage to me. Would want to take apart the front before making it final. About the overheating, have you checked out the fan clutch? I had a 85 Camero and the electric fan went out producing the same results. About the A/C, well it is time to start changing o rings.

Anyhow the Supra is not "totaled" to me. A bit of work and he will be back on the road.
It wouldn't have been totaled if State Farm didn't require estimating with new parts. Body shop said it was like $4000 in damage (that's buying all new parts though, stupid State Farm). Not sure how much it would be to just fix the core support. I could do the rest myself if I had enough money. Fan clutch was junk when I got it so I installed a 2500cfm electric fan and got it calibrated correctly. It helped but didn't solve the problem (I figured 2500cfm would be plenty). The A/C wouldn't be a big deal now if I could drive it. I replaced the evaporator core in my Cherokee so I'm not so afraid of tearing into A/C systems now. Nothing could be worse than getting to that stupid evap core in that Cherokee.

Last edited by I h8 Hondas; 04-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
Ranma
12psi boost

Talking

How much do you want for him? What are all of the specs? I live oh about 400 miles from you.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The core support may no longer be available new. You'd either need to have that one straightened or find a donor to cut from and get it welded in by a qualified welder. Both of these can be MUCH cheaper if you get all the prep work taken care of before the craftsman takes over.

Either BTWilson or Bill UK posted the Supra chassis measurements from Toyota's Collision Repair Manual... If you're interested in seeing how far off it all really is.

At any rate, given the time I'd have to put into it, not knowing how true the rest of the chassis is, not knowing if the bumper support or sub frame were damaged and not knowing how it's running, I wouldn't offer more than $1000. Given that it sounds like you've had overheating issues (that wasn't clear) and that you say the interior is in mediocre to poor shape I'm thinking more like $700 to $800. But this is one of those things that's always contingent on first hand appraisals and varies per the local market.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Deal. When can you pick it up? I don't think there's any frame damage. Everything still seems to line up like it did before and I didn't notice the handling being affected.
as much as i would love to have a running parts car ( and i really want one) i cant afford it. i was responding to how much i thought it would be worth imo. and i have a 7mgte a ge wouldent really help me, and besides that i live in fort myers FL a long ways away from you. the car looks like minor damadge whats to stiop you from fixing it besides cash. so state farm did mark it as a compleate loss and wreck. is there any way for you to fix it and maby get a salvage title since your driving it who cares what its worth

Last edited by pandrade; 04-22-2012 at 10:38 PM.
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Ranma
12psi boost

Quote:
as much as i would love to have a running parts car ( and i really want one) i cant afford it. i was responding to how much i thought it would be worth imo. and i have a 7mgte a ge wouldent really help me, and besides that i live in fort myers FL a long ways away from you. the car looks like minor damadge whats to stiop you from fixing it besides cash. so state farm did mark it as a compleate loss and wreck. is there any way for you to fix it and maby get a salvage title since your driving it who cares what its worth
Oh take they money and tell them you will fix. Sure I could straighten that part. That or get a replacement. They will pay you some money, right? Tell them to stick it with the title.

Could you take more pictures?

Last edited by Ranma; 04-23-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Ranma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
I h8 Hondas
Stock

Quote:
I wasn't being entirely serious there. If I had the cash I would have fixed it already and been driving it instead of my Jeep. I don't have the means of fixing the core support (well I guess I do but they involve trees and tow straps, maybe a truck or tractor, and are likely to do mare harm than good) so I would have to take it to a body shop, which costs money that I don't have.

I would love to get it road worthy again but my dad wants it out of his shed and I don't have anywhere to put it while I get the funds rounded up.

Ranma, if you're talking about insurance money I used it to buy my Jeep. What do you want more pics of? I'll take some when I get home if I don't forget.

Last edited by I h8 Hondas; 04-23-2012 at 02:16 PM.